BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an '03 last night. I traded my 540-6sp. Definately a worthwhile upgrade! I will say that the M5 seems to have a bit less low-end than the 540, but when the 540 is starting to run out of steam, the M5 is really cranking.
I have a question: the car has one of those mirrors that display the V1 radar info. There is a switch by the sunroof controls that turns it on. When I switch it on, it beeps and lights up. It also displays an 'A' on the mirror.
Does that mean there is a detector in the car somewhere, or does the mirror do that without any input. There is no documentation in the car.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have a V1, not through the mirror though. When I turn on my car, it beeps and displays "A". "A" basically means that you are not filtering the detector...you are detecting "ALL" signals. There is also an "L" - logic and a "L" with the top half cut off, which is advanced logic - these are modes where they filter out what V1 thinks are non-events.

It would be safe to say that you have a V1 in the car somewhere...best way to check is go to your grocery store with an automatic door and the things should beep like crazy.

You can get the manual from here:

http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/

fess said:
Just picked up an '03 last night. I traded my 540-6sp. Definately a worthwhile upgrade! I will say that the M5 seems to have a bit less low-end than the 540, but when the 540 is starting to run out of steam, the M5 is really cranking.
I have a question: the car has one of those mirrors that display the V1 radar info. There is a switch by the sunroof controls that turns it on. When I switch it on, it beeps and lights up. It also displays an 'A' on the mirror.
Does that mean there is a detector in the car somewhere, or does the mirror do that without any input. There is no documentation in the car.

Thanks
Jim

·
10,455 Posts
There have been posts about hiding the V1. You might check in the center rear headrest, as I remember a few people putting it there.
Mike

fess said:

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
mottati said:
There have been posts about hiding the V1. You might check in the center rear headrest, as I remember a few people putting it there.
Mike
Also check where the UGDO is. Some folks put them up there, usually evidenced by a bulge. It affects laser protection, so those folks tend to opt for a separate laser detector.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
35 Posts
The other possibility is that the car went to a real surgeon and someone took apart the V1 and installed the sensors at the front and rear of the vehicle and burried the electronics somewhere else. You may be able to see a small relatively custom looking box behind the grill if this is the case.

Anyway, sounds like a nice plus to get with the new beast. That mirror alone is no small cost.

Ben

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Beast has way TOOOOOO much low end torque. No comparison in my opinion, maybe your beast ain't running correctly? I think other board members would agree. Other opinions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I definately have a V1 in the car somewhere as it's working. The control knob is up by the sunroof controls. Not sure if the unit is in there as I just got the car and don't want to start taking things apart yet. There is no apparent bulge. There appear to be 2 sensors in the part that attaches to the windshield. I assume one is for the rain sensor wipers but not sure what the other is.

In any case, what a nice surprise to find that I have a V1! I'll keep looking for it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
jjc1843 said:
The Beast has way TOOOOOO much low end torque. No comparison in my opinion, maybe your beast ain't running correctly? I think other board members would agree. Other opinions?
I'm with you, Joe. No comparison. I switched from an E39 540i/6 to the Beast, and no way would I say that the Beast's torque was anything less than a step-wise change. Especially way down low!

In fact, the first time I tracked the Beast, that was my single most lasting impression. I found myself laughing exiting Turn 5 at Road Atlanta because I'd never felt such a sensation of thrust rocketing up the hill on the way to 6.

I was giggling like a little school girl....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
I'm with you, Joe. No comparison. I switched from an E39 540i/6 to the Beast, and no way would I say that the Beast's torque was anything less than a step-wise change. Especially way down low!

In fact, the first time I tracked the Beast, that was my single most lasting impression. I found myself laughing exiting Turn 5 at Road Atlanta because I'd never felt such a sensation of thrust rocketing up the hill on the way to 6.

I was giggling like a little school girl....
I'd have to agree with both of you. I used to drive my father's 540i/6 on long trips (which prompted me to start looking to replace my wrx) and my m5 has gobs more torque down low and all the way through the power band. Every time I step on the gas I have a huge smile on my face.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm, My wife also noticed the lack (relative) of response at low rpm's. Seems like it takes a lot of throttle travel to get going. Putting on the Sport button helps a lot.

Do most of you drive in sport mode most of the time?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
fess said:
Hmmmm, My wife also noticed the lack (relative) of response at low rpm's. Seems like it takes a lot of throttle travel to get going. Putting on the Sport button helps a lot.

Do most of you drive in sport mode most of the time?
Now that you say that, fess, it may also be related to the throttle-by-wire. It's been five years this month since I made the leap, but I do now recall thinking that the 540i/6 throttle was more linear and sensitive than the M5 throttle without sport mode on. I now use sport mode every single time I drive the car, once the oil temp has climbed to target territory.

Try driving with the sport mode on consistently, and see if that leaves you with the same impression, fess. Enjoy the ride!!

-Dave

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
Agree. I had my 2002 540i/6 for about three months after I got the M5, so I drove them back-to-back numerous times. The M5 had the 540i beat from off idle all the way up (and especially above 4k). If someone feels their M5 is lacking in power down low compared to the 540i, there is likely something wrong with the M5.

...and for old time's sake:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I owned a 540/6 before the M5, and I never could short shift that car as easily as the M5. Having grown up with 7 litre Chevy's and Pontiacs, there is no replacement for displacement! just check out a dyno chart of a 4.4 vs: 5.0.

Eric

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's probably a combination of the lighter steering and less responsive throttle when the M5 is used outside of sport mode.

We use sport mode all the time now and the feeling is quite different.
Thanks for all your replies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts