BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just thought id introduce myself to you all.

I have just bought a totally mint 2001 M5, Lemans Blue, 19000 miles, she had every option fitted that was available at the time apart from SAt Nav. The car has had one owner from new and has only been used on weekends.

I live on the Isle of Man, we have only just (last 3months) had the island mapped for sat nav so this is why the previous owner never bothered with it i recon.

I have traded a 2004 Nissan 350z in for the M5 and will be picking her up at 3pm tomorrow. Hopefully i will not get bored with the M5 as quickly as i did with the Zed!

From my quick test drive and hour spent drooling over it i think our time together will be special. lovelove I just cant wait to get her out tomorrow on our derestricted roads for a good old fashioned thrashing!

I have not signed anything yet, so has anyone got any advice on know things to check for?

Tom

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tom

Firstly congratulations! You won't regret you purchase. I too am new to the M5 only having my 2001 model since May. I can certainly advise you on what to look out for from my recent experience.

Tyres - You can probably guess from the size of them that they are gonna be costly to replace (about £750) so take into account that worn tyres will mean that you will have to get your wallet out soon!

Alloys - Check for scuffs. The alloys are individually spayed to hide break dust - which is great but it means that any repairs mean you must have the whole alloy resprayed.

Body- Check for the usual stone chips. No chips = worrying. It could mean a front end smack. Check to make sure all panael are straight, line up correctly and are the same colour!

Interior - The only problem I came across was the digital display in the dashboard. Some of the pixels weren't lighting up. The apparently is a known problem and mine was replaced just before I bought it under warrenty. I think it costs about £500, so worth checking out.

Mechanical - I didn't really delve to far into this as mine came with a BMW warranty which was one of my requirements when buying an M5.

Air-con - make sure it blows cold. I didn't check this on mine and had to pay £150 for a re-gas!!

After purchase the only things I have noticed are the fact it is more difficult to get in 2nd gear when cold and the oil consumption. Both of which I have been told are perfectly normal especially the latter as I have been spanking the a** off the car since I got it. In a sensible way of course!!

Hope this helps.

Max

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Max,
Congrats and welcome! :thumbsup:

I believe there is another board member who has an M5 on Isle of Man...

Good luck with the purchase, and let us know how you like it...

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Welcome!

These members are from Isle of Man. 3 own E39 M5 and one a E34 M5 and the fifth none :)

<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="90%"> <tbody><tr align="center" valign="top"><td class="alt2" align="left">i like you guys </td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2" align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr align="center" valign="top"> <td class="alt1" align="left">Manx M5 </td> <td class="alt1">
</td> <td class="alt1">
</td> <td class="alt1">
</td> <td class="alt1">
</td> <td class="alt1" align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr align="center" valign="top"> <td class="alt2" align="left">PiggyM5mk3 </td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt2" align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr align="center" valign="top"> <td class="alt1" align="left">Richard Fathers </td></tr></tbody> </table>

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
There are a number of IOM members at bm5w.co.uk as well. You guys are so lucky with your derestricted roads - congrats :byee55amg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wasn't the Isle of Man the one where you can only be caught for "furious driving"? Good luck evading that one! hiha

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions, TBH ive checked most of them already. The dealer told me that clutches go at about 25,000 miles so if in the next 12 months the clutch starts slipping he will replace it for me. Its not somthing covered by the warranty im getting so its a bonus.

Some of my mates have thought its a backward step from the 350z cause its older... but they havent seen it or been in it yet! :wroom: its not in a different class its on a different planet! Makes you feel like Captain Archer engaging warp..
Vinz, We have no national speed limit so its quite hard for the police to nail us, but if they push hard enough they can get you dangerous driving.. But you have to have nearly caused an accident! But mostly they are quite tollerant in the derestricted areas.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
WELCOME :byee55amg

Nice choice of color, too!

:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
MINENCE said:
Derestricted area! Utopia does exist!
It is actually even better than you may think... Wait until you hear of their tax laws... ;-)

David

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
40 mins to go till i pick her up... not excited at all then

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only managed to do 50 miles in her last night as i had such a crappy day at work! But WOW what an animal... And i hadnt realised how noisy my 350z was! this is so quiet and refined yet when you floor it boy does she shift.. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Great Color!!!!:M5thumbs: Congrats!!!:happybirt I also share a love of the same color, see my pics, also please post some pics hwen you get a chance! Enjoy!:wroom: :2:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vinz said:
Lots of LMB posts in this thread :hihi:
LOL your right.. LMB owners stick together it seems!

I have done a lot of driving experience days with F3000 racing cars & rally cars, but i have never driven anything so fast as my M5! I was nailing it up a really steep, twisty hill at the back of my house last night and for the first time in the 15years i have been driving that road i had to shut off the throttle! There is just SOOO much torque!! I am pritty sure i would be able to get her airbourne over the midesection rise/hump given enough courage and lack of respect for the car.. fortunately i am in love and would not do it to her.

Just driving the M5 makes me laugh as it is so effortless. I have never laughed out loud before at how good the handling of one of my cars is!

I am so glad i have bought it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts