BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Well one of my dreams came true a couple of weeks ago with the purchase of a beautiful 00 Anthricate/Black Beast with 55k on it (pictures later). Can't wait to do some upgrades, angel eyes, wide screen nav, and of course the clutch is slipping a little in between 1st and 2nd gear under hard acceleration. I've done a little research (on this board) for a replacement and found a spirited debate on who offers the best setup. I grew up in the muscle car era with stock 400 to 500 hp engines and they had 11 and 12 inch clutches. Rob's UUC unit looks like the front runner (for me anyway) but I'll keep an open mind.

I do have a concern about the noise or chain slap on hot restarts. It sounded like the timing chain tensioner so I replace it last week. It didn't help so I was looking through TIS and found a bulletin about the Vanso system making noises on restarts because it looses oil pressure in the accumulator. BMW had a "On a customer complaint basis only" warranty to repair the system. I wondered if anyone has had it done and did it repair the noise. My car is a 5/00 built date. BMW says that there is no harm being done but at $25000 for an engine I rather be safe..... These are the same guys that tell you to change your oil every 12000 miles.

Any help would be appriecated. Thanks and great site cherrsagai

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a MY00 Anthracite/Black M5 last month (3/00 build date) and still cannot stop smiling. 16K miles, clutch slips when powershifting into third (my solution - don't powershift into 3rd - problem solved). I can hear the Vanos noise but haven't noticed that it's any worse on hot starts - it's just a constant faint 'diesel' sound at idle. I find that it gets harder to hear when I'm running out to 6000+ RPM in each gear.I was targeting a 2001 for the angel eyes and widescreen nav, but I must say that I'm quite happy with the look of my headlights (also my first car with xenons - amazing what a difference it makes) and I never use the NAV screen anyway so I'm not sure if I'll ever be bothered with the cosmetic upgrades. Sirius radio and Bluetooth would be really nice, though, so I may have to get a Mark IV computer to get there.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board :thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good luck with your new ride...welcome. I did the Angel Eyes upgrade on my 2000 Anthracite M5 and it's worth every penny...

By the way, the best color is of course anthracite!

--Mike

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome aboard from a fellow Mainliner! Did you get that car from Donedirect by any chance? I looked at it a couple of weeks ago if it was the same one. Good luck with the car.

S62fan

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tomlavelle said:
I bought a MY00 Anthracite/Black M5 last month (3/00 build date) and still cannot stop smiling
I know what you mean, I can't stop smiling too.

It seems that the the cure for the Vanos noise started with cars 9/00 and up. It's just when you hot start the car sometimes you hear a bad chain slap. When you want to fire it it up for someone to show off your stuff you here this noise for about 1½ seconds. You have a low mileage car maybe it not there yet.

Well good luck with it and have a blast.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
e39m5nut said:
Good luck with your new ride...welcome. I did the Angel Eyes upgrade on my 2000 Anthracite M5 and it's worth every penny...

By the way, the best color is of course anthracite!

I think the first upgrade is the Angel Eyes. Where did you get yours Mike?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
s62fan said:
Welcome aboard from a fellow Mainliner! Did you get that car from Donedirect by any chance? I looked at it a couple of weeks ago if it was the same one. Good luck with the car.
S62

Yes I did buy it from Donedirect, boy small world huh. My son found it on ebay and I went to look at it the next day and fell in love and bought it. Beautiful car in great condition. What do you have? :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
tomlavelle said:
I bought a MY00 Anthracite/Black M5 last month (3/00 build date) and still cannot stop smiling. 16K miles, clutch slips when powershifting into third (my solution - don't powershift into 3rd - problem solved). I can hear the Vanos noise but haven't noticed that it's any worse on hot starts - it's just a constant faint 'diesel' sound at idle. I find that it gets harder to hear when I'm running out to 6000+ RPM in each gear.

I recently purchased my MY00 M5 Silver/Black. Production date 4/11/00, I also hear the Vanos noise, mainly at idle. Is that something to worry about? Will it progressively get worse or louder? Any preventative measures that should or can be taken?
Thnx

·
Registered
89 Posts
Everything I've read in this forum suggests that it's nothing to worry about. There is a fix, that BMW was doing under warranty, but it doesn't sound like it's necessary to keep the engine in good working order. If anyone has a different opinion I'd love to hear about it.

For those of you that have done the angel eyes upgrade I'd like to know where you bought the parts (did you use OEM?), whether or not you did the install yourselves and if not, what's a 'fair price' is to have a garage do it for you?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tomlavelle said:
Everything I've read in this forum suggests that it's nothing to worry about. There is a fix, that BMW was doing under warranty, but it doesn't sound like it's necessary to keep the engine in good working order. If anyone has a different opinion I'd love to hear about it.
My understanding is the Vanos noise at idle is not correctable only the start up rattling noise. They use a Vanos accumulator with an electric shutoff valve controled by the the engine control unit to hold the oil pressure up. It only effects cars built up to 11/00. I am wondering if anybody had this done and did it correct the problem. I read on this board that the parts are $1200 plus labor.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hudson said:
My understanding is the Vanos noise at idle is not correctable only the start up rattling noise. They use a Vanos accumulator with an electric shutoff valve controled by the the engine control unit to hold the oil pressure up. It only effects cars built up to 11/00. I am wondering if anybody had this done and did it correct the problem. I read on this board that the parts are $1200 plus labor.

Thanks
Joe
Yes, anyone with info. on the VANOS noise, will be greatly appreciated!
Thnx in advance!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Called the dealer today to price the parts for the Vanos upgrade kit for cars built up to 8/31/00 and was told about $625. :typing:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hudson said:
Beamer I'm not sure if it's covered under anything but the new car waranty

Joe
Thanks for the info. Hudson, I'm going to do a little research on the subject too. If I find out anything I'll let you know

1 - 20 of 21 Posts