BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone :cheers:
Just picked up a 2006 E60 Beast last Thursday and three tanks of gas ago :M5rev: - I think this is my 5th Bimmer after a couple of years playing with cars from Japan and Stuttgart. Having the M5 makes it really nice to be back!

This was one of those unexpected purchases where the deal landed in my lap and I could not say no. So I apologize for this newb question.....before I ask, I want you to know I have searched, but I'm just not finding that answer that makes me want to whip out the check book. Which exhaust system is "civilized loud?" I'm looking for something that won't wake the neighbors up, but will definitely let them know I'm coming when they are awake? Do all the various exhausts require cutting/welding?

I'm partial to Dinan because my place of employment is an authorized Dinan dealer.

As promised, here are some photos of the new whip:

More here: http://poindexter.smugmug.com/gallery/5231447_TWBx4#317791516_NzNFU - but she's just stock right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah - forgot to ask: are there any aftermarket cup holders I can replace the crappy stock ones with? These things keep getting stuck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride.
Not sure about the cup holders. However, I always hear people complain about them and I don't have an issue with them at all. Then again, I think I've drank maybe 3 times total in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then again, I think I've drank maybe 3 times total in the car.

Yeah, I feel like an American chump asking about the cup holders, but I have a bottled water with me all the time and would like them to at least work for that.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Any aftermarket exhausts involved cutting the OEM except if you replace all 3 sections(2nd cats,resonators,muffler)

Dinan sound most civilized, IMO. If you like japanese one, I got Arqray for sell at $1500.

"Peak: 93 dBA, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9gZ9GDIcDc (just muffler, 93dBA peak)

If not loud enough, you always can add x-pipe(included):thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Problems w./ cup holders.....................operative word LUBRICATION! :dunno:
This is a first, "cup holders" and "lubrication" used in the same sentence!?hmmm Obvious context would include "my wife" and "lubrication. " However, I digress (as usual), since Poindexter mentioned water bottles, I have a similar problem with SOME water and gatorade, etc. bottles in that the design of the bottle base gets jammed up on the cup holder making it a real b•tch to get out. Sometimes I feel like I am ripping the cup holder apart. They may or may not be Poindexter's problems but I sympathize.

There are a number of exhaust systems. I have seen and heard quite a few in person. Dinan being one that has an attractive sound, however, exhaust sound level, notes, etc. is subjective like style of music. Personally, I loved the Dixis exhaust, for its unique sound quality. However, I am awaiting the new RPI exhaust, which I had the prototype on my car for a couple of months. just the right beef, no drone. Not over the top. I also just heard the ASR exhaust on video, and aside from the annoying music they play in their videos of the product, the exhaust sounded great. I don't know of drone of sound levels in and out of the car cabin. Again, much research is necessary.

I have see many people go through multiple sets of exhaust systems. I for one, have been fortunate enough to experiment with a system without investing any money and I know I will be satisfied with the RPI exhaust. You may want to check them out, they are having a group buy and should be ready to ship in two weeks. Good timing!

Good luck on your exhaust quest and let us know how the "lubrication" and whatever works!hmmm
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
In terms of exhausts, I went with Dinan because I didnt want any cabin drone or something too loud. Dinan is louder than stock at all levels, but down low it isnt to much louder than stock which I like. Cold starts are going to be loud with almost any exhaust, and in the morning, your neighbors might not like that. Check out Kenny's (Keang's) thread about his makeshift noise reducer on cold starts. Anyway, congrats on the new car.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
This is a first, "cup holders" and "lubrication" used in the same sentence!?hmmm Obvious context would include "my wife" and "lubrication. " However, I digress (as usual), since Poindexter mentioned water bottles, I have a similar problem with SOME water and gatorade, etc. bottles in that the design of the bottle base gets jammed up on the cup holder making it a real b•tch to get out. Sometimes I feel like I am ripping the cup holder apart. They may or may not be Poindexter's problems but I sympathize.

There are a number of exhaust systems. I have seen and heard quite a few in person. Dinan being one that has an attractive sound, however, exhaust sound level, notes, etc. is subjective like style of music. Personally, I loved the Dixis exhaust, for its unique sound quality. However, I am awaiting the new RPI exhaust, which I had the prototype on my car for a couple of months. just the right beef, no drone. Not over the top. I also just heard the ASR exhaust on video, and aside from the annoying music they play in their videos of the product, the exhaust sounded great. I don't know of drone of sound levels in and out of the car cabin. Again, much research is necessary.

I have see many people go through multiple sets of exhaust systems. I for one, have been fortunate enough to experiment with a system without investing any money and I know I will be satisfied with the RPI exhaust. You may want to check them out, they are having a group buy and should be ready to ship in two weeks. Good timing!

Good luck on your exhaust quest and let us know how the "lubrication" and whatever works!hmmm
+1 on the Dinan and on giving a look at the RPI. I have the Dinan and am very happy overall. At time (cold start in my garage in the morning) I wish it were a bit quieter. Other times, I wouldn't mind a bit more "voice". So I guess I got the right system for me.

If I did not have the Dinan already, I would also consider the RPI very seriously. Or ASR, great gains but that will not be "civilized".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome aboard.

After dealing with several different exhausts before Dinan's was available, I highly recommend the Dinan exhaust.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Supersprint/hamann sounded and it was civilized but I recently changed to tubi becaus I wanted the "exotic" sound.

By the way, I have hamann for sale. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the sympathy m5baller and thanks for the welcome everyone :cool2:

Good to hear all the votes of confidence for Dinan. That will probably be the route I take.

I've got to say I was very happy with some of the Hamann stuff I had on a M3 a few years back......htf316 - do you have anything I can look at/listen to?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts