BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a Le Mans Blue M5 here soon, really looking forward to it! :applause: I'll post some pics when I finally have it. It is a 2002 with around 100k miles.

I have been searching the threads here to make a definitive list of maintenance items, but haven't seen anything in one place. What are the important things to make sure to take care of in the first couple of years?

I'm going to start with the obvious things, O2/MAF/CP sensors and valve cover gaskets. Next I'll plan on shocks, bushings, and all the clutch-related items. At some point when I have a week or two and a few hundred bucks to kill I'll try the rod bearings (though hopefully it isn't as critical on the later motor).

Are there any other items I should definitely plan on doing? I'm especially looking for things that a new E39 M5 owner might not expect. For example, my E46 needed a new DISA and my E36 needed the transmission detent pins, and they both needed replacements for the plastic water pumps.

One question I have is what to do to change the computer software to the European version? I understand that they have a more enjoyable throttle response and never throw the dreaded AA engine code.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The most important thing is to set a baseline maintenance to ensure the S62 is healthy. If you want to find out about rod bearing wear, blackstone oil analysis is a good first step to find out how much the metal is in oil.

If you want a nice set up for clutch, look into southbend clutch kit.

For AA code, you can always get the aftermarket tunes that eliminate that code and provide you better all around tune and power. Evolve tuning and Jailbreak tune comes to my mind.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Its hard to tell without knowing whats already been replaced. I am at 108k and decided to update my rear subframe about a month ago. Surprise, surprise i found that control arms needed to be replaced and since i was reinforcing the subrame i updated all the busing.

Rod bearings wont be cheap unless you are doing the work yourself. Power steering hoses usually are a common issue. As mentioned in the previous post, you need to do a complete check of the suspension, hoses and liquids and set yourself on a plan and tackle the issues from most critical and very important to less critical and less important.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ebox fan and fsu are pretty common.

Rear view mirror and instrument cluster

Aux fan.

Power steering hoses, though they might just need a reclamp.

Rear main seal.

Head light adjusters.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind suggestions, they will definitely come in handy.

The Le Mans deal fell through (as did 2 others! Why is Le Mans Blue so hard to buy? :) ). In the end, I got an Imola Red 2002. Photos coming soon.

Just drove it home yesterday from Seattle to Salt Lake City and it mostly runs very well. The two issues I want to investigate first are:

1) I generally drove it as gently as possible, but about halfway home I tried pushing it hard in 1st and 2nd and it went into limp mode. That is no fun at all! Luckily stopping the car and restarting brought it back to normal and it didn't happen again. What are the common causes? I'll read the check engine codes ASAP, and I found quite a few threads about it, but haven't had luck finding a "Limp Mode FAQ" (at least not yet!).

2) After the drive I notice a dark film on the back of the car above the exhaust... looks like it burns some oil. How much lost oil is normal for these cars and should it be noticeable on the trunk lid like this? Last time I saw this was on a P.O.S. Celica I had in the 1990s, when I learned the hard way what it feels like to drive a car that ran out of oil :( I hope to avoid doing this again since an S62 is so much more annoying to repair.

I found a few other minor things (rear view mirror leaked all the magic fluid, gas filler lock doesn't work, washer fluid doesn't make it out the nozzle to the windshield) but overall it is pretty solid.

Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK looks like I should check MAF's, exhaust CPS, fuel filter & pump first.

It ran great apart from this incident (so much faster than my ZHP it's not funny). Most of the trip was on cruise control @ 80mph and I got 21 mpg which matches the official mileage so that's a good sign.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Since I have a few minutes (commercial break on the Daytona 24, too much beer), I'll break it down for you based on what I know.

1. Fluid - change them all, engine oil, power steering, brake fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, coolant.
2. Bushings - thrust arm bushings, transmission suspension bushings, engine mounts, rear differential carrier bushings (1 front, 2 rear), shifter assembly bushings (misc)
3. Electrical sensors - CPS x 4, MAFs x 2, O2 x 4,
4. Mechanical - clutch fan, center support bearing, shocks, control arms, tie rods, center drag links, guibo, clutch/flywheel

Once all that is done, you can look into modifications. Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
anyone have a ballpark figure on this stuff? if i remember correctly m5 do not have any aftermarket OEM parts right? only bmw and performance stuff?
like brakes are all BMW and Performance? all those bushings?

thanks

Since I have a few minutes (commercial break on the Daytona 24, too much beer), I'll break it down for you based on what I know.

1. Fluid - change them all, engine oil, power steering, brake fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, coolant.
2. Bushings - thrust arm bushings, transmission suspension bushings, engine mounts, rear differential carrier bushings (1 front, 2 rear), shifter assembly bushings (misc)
3. Electrical sensors - CPS x 4, MAFs x 2, O2 x 4,
4. Mechanical - clutch fan, center support bearing, shocks, control arms, tie rods, center drag links, guibo, clutch/flywheel

Once all that is done, you can look into modifications. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
E39 M5 does shoot out carbon when you are accelerating hard. My back end always will be covered in carbon soot.

Looks like you have a good start on maintenance. Radar-mirror.com is a good place to have your mirror repaired.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone have a ballpark figure on this stuff? if i remember correctly m5 do not have any aftermarket OEM parts right?
Try Pelican Parts - Porsche Parts & BMW Parts & Mercedes Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW & Mercedes - they have a good mix of genuine, oem, and non-oem parts available. They also let you save the parts you need as a "project list" (same thing as a wish list on other sites) -- it's great for estimating how much lighter your wallet will be when you're done.

·
Registered
201 Posts
anyone have a ballpark figure on this stuff? if i remember correctly m5 do not have any aftermarket OEM parts right? only bmw and performance stuff?

thanks

Your first born.

·
Registered
107 Posts

thanks
What is your email? I will send you the list of things I did to my 02 before I sold it last year. The prices are on most if not all of them too.

I will send it to anyone else if interested.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the kind suggestions, they will definitely come in handy.

1) I generally drove it as gently as possible, but about halfway home I tried pushing it hard in 1st and 2nd and it went into limp mode. That is no fun at all! Luckily stopping the car and restarting brought it back to normal and it didn't happen again. What are the common causes? I'll read the check engine codes ASAP, and I found quite a few threads about it, but haven't had luck finding a "Limp Mode FAQ" (at least not yet!).

2) After the drive I notice a dark film on the back of the car above the exhaust... looks like it burns some oil. How much lost oil is normal for these cars and should it be noticeable on the trunk lid like this? Last time I saw this was on a P.O.S. Celica I had in the 1990s, when I learned the hard way what it feels like to drive a car that ran out of oil :( I hope to avoid doing this again since an S62 is so much more annoying to repair.
Congrats on your purchase! The maintenance items mentioned are all good advice.

Common cause for limp mode after hard driving is MAFS due for replacement. If you know anyone else local with an M5 you could try swapping to test, or search the secret menu test.

Soot (as opposed to oil residue) on the rear bumper can be a sign of a failed thermostat, as the car runs too cool, hence rich.

If you change the thermostat, it's a good time to clean the oil separators and replace the associated hoses if required. You search this as it's a common maintenance item often neglected. Also search what to replace while the plenum is removed, as there are a bunch of vacuum hoses etc that are good preventative maintenance.

Also search (again) re Vanos solenoid maintenance. All cars need the o-rings changed and solenoids cleaned if not already done.

First thing to buy is a Peake code reader, clear codes and see what comes back.

Good luck, and do your searching on these topics on the board and post if you encounter any problems...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks like thrust arms are going to be the first order of business - the bushings are toast. Are there any other items to replace at the same time?

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is what I used. There are variations of these kits with more parts, but it depends on how the other parts look. You could change the rotors and pads, bleed the brakes, wheel bearings, PS hoses, etc. You are under the car with it jacked up so it depends on what needs to be done.

Be sure to properly load the bushings before driving. It is probably online around here somewhere on how to do it.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-kit-4-piece-540i-m5-e39-5404piecekit

·
Registered
191 Posts
What is your email? I will send you the list of things I did to my 02 before I sold it last year. The prices are on most if not all of them too.

I will send it to anyone else if interested.
I know this is an old thread but could you send to me as well?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts