BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i found a 2000 m5 for carbon black on black. I posted recently about it. I have a few questions since im a m5 newb coming from a 330. First off the car has 60,000 miles on it, it has a dinan chip, dinan exhaust, and dinan CF CAI :) . The car is mint inside and out and the previous owner has NY CCA stickers on it, so he took care of it, maybe hes even on the board?. How long does the m5 engine last, when should i expect repairs at what miles?. The car was meticously cared for once again every 2000 miles it went in for service. Could these engines go more than 150,000 miles no problem?. Also, the car eats alot of oil 10w-60 and when i get on it a little bit occasionaly black smoke comes out of the exhaust? is the oil to rich?. What ways can i cut down adding oil to the car would thicker viscosity work? Sorry for the huge amounts of questions. Thanks alot guys.

-Lou

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My 2002 M5 (at 52k miles) drinks a quart of 5w-30 every 3000-4000 miles. That is normal. 2000 models use more because of a different ring design. That can cause the occasional black smoke and is probably not abnormal. The 10w-60 is recommended for 2000s and should be less usage than 5w-30. Oil usage is also dependent on driving style and break-in. Stop and go traffic and track days dramatically increase oil consumption.

The jury is still out on real high mileage M5s but several on the board are reaching 100k miles with no major problems. A CPO or aftermarket warranty is highly recommended. This should cut way down on repair costs for sensor repair, VANOS issues, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My car uses a litre of 10w60 oil every 650 miles. I have had the car since 90k miles and it now has 106000 and still feels like a new car... Think you have got a way to go yet :)

So far I have replaced 4 lamda sensors, 2 MAF sensors, a knock sensor and a set of disks. Only one major problem was when the computer that controls the traction control system and abs failed leaving me with an almost £1000 bill :crying:

Still after owning my previous car (a TVR) this all seems quite reasonable given the powr on tap and fun of driving the thing. Hope you enjoy yours as much I love mine.
Happy motoring! :noSMG:
Travis

·
10,455 Posts
Piston ring design was changed with the 3/00 production run. My 6/00 production M5 uses a liter of oil every 3-3500 miles, more when i'm on the track. I use 10.60 even though bmwna says 5/30 is ok. I see from some other M5 boards that the recommended oil for later M5's in europe is either tws or 0w40.
Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thank you for answering my questions. Which is the best way to get a good aftermarket of bmw warranty for this car and how much will it cost? and which is the best way to go? I plan on keeping this car for a long time. Also, i want to order the 2001+ angel eyes and rear lead and side kit(i want the euro version clears), so far i have only seen the kit on bavauto, is there anywhere else you guys recommend?

-lou

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Definately go with Castrol TWS 10W60 for your car. I have been told by my BMW dealer that using any other oil will result in more oil consumption.

As for the Angel eyes and euro clear corners, keep an eye on eBay as you might catch a good deal.

- Kin

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Definately go with Castrol TWS 10W60 for your car. I have been told by my BMW dealer that using any other oil will result in more oil consumption.

As for the Angel eyes and euro clear corners, keep an eye on eBay as you might catch a good deal.

- Kin

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I also recommend castrol TWS. I had my M5 on inspection 1 on friday, and asked the service dept. to be sure that they put TWS in it, and he replied: Of course! We automatically put TWS in ALL M5's new and older.

Don't worry about the engine, worry about the undercarriage and electrical stuff...

Sofar under 8months I have put 2300€ on services and repairs, and I don't think it will come to under 3000€ for the first year:( 2300€ is about 2850$!

·
Registered
377 Posts
///MLOVER! said:
thank you for answering my questions. Which is the best way to get a good aftermarket of bmw warranty for this car and how much will it cost? and which is the best way to go? I plan on keeping this car for a long time. Also, i want to order the 2001+ angel eyes and rear lead and side kit(i want the euro version clears), so far i have only seen the kit on bavauto, is there anywhere else you guys recommend?

-lou
Here's a source for info on after market warranties:

http://www.extended-warranty.info/autowarranty/

This is the company I'm using:

www.aaautowarranty.com

I have a 2001 with 45K miles. I bought a 3 yr 75,000 platinum (bumper to bumper) and paid $1891.

I have not had a claim yet so I don't have a feel for how easy it is. I know that prior authorization is required. I hope that's not a hassle.

Enjoy the car!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts