BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just got a silver grey/black perf.leath smg M5. I've had 2 e46 M3's prior to this beast, one of which was a Phoenix Yellow which I never should have sold for the 996 Turbo which now sits in my garage. Anyway, I'm looking for upgrade advice on a car I have NO clue about.
First, I'm thinking H&Rs. They've served me well on my e46's and my turbo. What is the general consensus on these for the M5? Any pics? Won't be doing any track time in this car, I don't think. Looking for a tracked out e36 M3 for that.
I can't even work the frickin idrive yet..pathetic. How about this SMG? What are the tricks, if any, to making it as smooth as possible?
HOW DO YOU DO THE LAUNCH CONTROL?
I need help..bullet points even..
thanks
Tim:confused3

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the forum. Glad you're enjoying the beast.
I'm sure you're going to get railed by some guys on this because all of that stuff has been discussed before. My suggestion would be to use the Search Function because there are numerous threads on these issues already.

BTW H&Rs are highly recommended on our cars, best drop and most aggressive look. Can't help you with the SMG b/c I'm a 6spd. But those searches will tell you all you need to know. Good luck....

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Tim baby, do us all a favor and yourself an even BIGGER one READ THE MANUAL...3 times, commit it to memory.....try everything out, you learned, FIRST....THEN do a SEARCH,.....then ASK US, we will be glad to help. Good Luck with your new ride.....

Reactions: drewzMMM

·
Registered
370 Posts
damn davem3smg u beat me to it... just use the search button oh and post some pics of your car please

·
Registered
99 Posts
Holy friendly fire batman! Cut ze man some slack, you were new once too! Although he'll find answers to most of his questions with some searching it could be nice as a newcomer to get a nice and polite answer. It's about feeling welcome, no?

Have fun with the M5 Savnole, and please post some pictures of the beast :)

/M

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Hello
I just got a silver grey/black perf.leath smg M5. I've had 2 e46 M3's prior to this beast, one of which was a Phoenix Yellow which I never should have sold for the 996 Turbo which now sits in my garage. Anyway, I'm looking for upgrade advice on a car I have NO clue about.
First, I'm thinking H&Rs. They've served me well on my e46's and my turbo. What is the general consensus on these for the M5? Any pics? Won't be doing any track time in this car, I don't think. Looking for a tracked out e36 M3 for that.
I can't even work the frickin idrive yet..pathetic. How about this SMG? What are the tricks, if any, to making it as smooth as possible?
HOW DO YOU DO THE LAUNCH CONTROL?
I need help..bullet points even..
thanks
Tim:confused3

Welcome.... The best upgrade is always the nut behind the wheel. What is your driving experience? How do you intend to use the car? What is your goal?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
First and foremost, pull the charcoal filters. There is a DIY thread that is fantastic. Second, I would give serious consideration to the RPI scoops and BMC filters. Fantastic mod at a very reasonable price. After that, I would choose an exhaust to meet your liking.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Best improvements I made were charcoal filter removal, and ESS performance software. With the software, the car is much torquier and has cleaner, crisper shifts.

Exhaust helps too :). Enjoy your ride!

Edit: RPI scoops too. But that's top 4.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
When you get your track car or want to go to the track let me know. My bro and I are on the other coast and go to the track once a month. Homestead, Sebring and Moroso. Send me a PM if interested. G/l with the new car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the HELPFUL replies. The charcoal filter removal was a breeze, great job on the instructions. Noticed a difference immediately, sound, throttle response and maybe even a bit stronger.
Now I need to figure out how to make this smg box smooth!
Tim:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the HELPFUL replies. The charcoal filter removal was a breeze, great job on the instructions. Noticed a difference immediately, sound, throttle response and maybe even a bit stronger.
Good luck and glad we could help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Software! :goldcup:

Edit: Resetting the SMG adaptations also helps. In order to be 100% smooth, you must learn the way the car thinks and translate your foot movements based on that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts