BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys !!

Gustav and fellow members: This board is great ! I will buy the DVD to contribute back !!

Like minded enthusiasts, what more could one ask for ?!

Recently bought a Carbon Black/Caramel Late 99 Model with 94K on it.

FBMWSH with receipts and the previous owner bought 3 years of extended warranties. I have noted down all the warranty work carried out from day one and it makes interesting reading.

It is in extremely good condition save for some frontal stone chips but its to be expected.

When I bought it I changed:
1) Oil filter and PAS resevoir rubber mounts (both sheared off almost)

2) Front and real anti roll bar bushes and also rear bush mounts (N/S/R) had snapped off.

3) M3 E46 Oil Cap as the M5 one was leaking.

4) Drained and re filled the rear diff with the proper castrol stuff as an initial move as the Input shaft seal into the rear Diff is leaking so need some advice on who to do the job, as apparently you have to pre load the propshaft before the pre assemby (or something like that??)

5) Bought 2 centre exhasut mounts (yet to fit) as the originals seem to be knackered.

I have some knocking up front, only after 1 hour or so of driving, and occurs when you dab the brakes at low speed and going over small bumps etc and have read that the centre steering link or the thrust arm bush (both thrust arm bushes look fine visually but who knows!) could be the culprit ??

Can anyone recommend any garages in and around London who really know the M5's for the more complicated procedures ?

Will keep you guys posted on all developments.

Thanks

Kumaran

1999 M5 E39
1998 SL500
1993 Lexus LS400 (dont want to get rid of it)
1989 Golf Rallye (Remeber this anyone ?)

1993 M3 E36 (Stolen in Kensington in 2001 and still miss her)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Welcome and enjoy! Looks like you're off to a good start.:M5launch:
Need some pics.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Kumaran

Welcome. I have some garages I can recommend - PM me if you want their details. (they are all West of London).

Max

PS. Always wanted a go in a Golf Rallye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Max, can you also pm me the details, also if you know of any good places to get parts that would be great too. cheerio

·
Registered
18 Posts
ops sorry forgot to say - Hello and welcome to Kumaran :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Thanks Everyone !

I love the car and this board !

I was gonna get an E55 Kompressor but I made the right choice.

Max I have PM'd you

Kumaran

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome to the board :)

I'll be moving to London myself sometime in the next few months and bringing my Beast with me. You'll have to let me know if you find any good shops in the area, and we'll have to arrange a drive up north when I get there with some of the other locals.:M5launch:

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
welcome!

·
Registered
944 Posts
hi
the front end knock could be your track rod end ball joints,it was a similar problem i had few months ago. and welcome to the forum cherrsagai

·
Registered
385 Posts
congrats and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Welcome indeed fellow Londoner. :cheers:

a '99 eh? Keep an eye on that oil!!

Hope to meet you at the next event (if Ashok ever gets around to organising one.....:hihi:)

Barney.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi
the front end knock could be your track rod end ball joints,it was a similar problem i had few months ago. and welcome to the forum cherrsagai

Hi,

I have been doing some more research today and feel the cause for the front end knocking noise does tend towards the track rod end ball joints and/or centre link. There are some previous posts on M5 Board that point towards the above scenario.

I feel that if it were the control arm bushings I would be getting much more of the steering wheel wobbling effect under braking at higher speeds.

Will keep you all posted.

Also thanks for hte welcome from everyone, how surreal but nice !!

Thanks

Kumaran

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome indeed fellow Londoner. :cheers:

a '99 eh? Keep an eye on that oil!!

Hope to meet you at the next event (if Ashok ever gets around to organising one.....:hihi:)

Barney.

Hi,

Yeah another Londoner and one that has also bought 8 litres of Castrol Edge not the Castrol Edge Sport and also keeps a litre in the boot !

Keep me posted on the local events !!

Thanks

Kumaran

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello! :byee55amg

A few beasts in London these days on this board. I'll have to start waving at everyone who drives past!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I hear you Barney - the weather's still pretty ****e but we definitely need to have another meet soon - I'll see what I can do :byee55amg

1 - 20 of 52 Posts