BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 2000 Certified Black M5 with 49K miles. As far as I can tell, it's 100% stock...but not for long. I've been reading through the forums and there's a ton of great information here. I've researched a lot of my questions, but still would like to get some more current opinions.

1. I am not a very technical person and will not be working on this car. Can someone recommend a Chicago shop for basic maintenance? I live in Glendale Heights, but I'd drive anywhere in Chicago for good service. I've bought a few cars from Motor Werks and I've heard good things about Perillo.

2. I have the 100K mile warranty. I know new BMWs have all service covered by the warranty (oil changes, etc.). Any chance it applies to my car? Probably not. And I've seen a lot about clutches going bad pretty often. Since it's a wear and tear item, how could the warranty cover it?

3. I see a lot of people recommending the MAF cleaning. I'll be doing this tomorrow. Any other recommendations? With 49K miles, should I change the plugs, belts, etc?

4. Mods...I see a lot of people recommending the Powerchip, short throw shifters and exhaust...not too expensive to start. What order of mods would you all recommend? First what? Then what? What order makes sense and is the best bang for you buck?

5. Are there any Chicagoland M5 owners who might like to give me an opinion on my car? I'd be happy to drive out to meet anywhere. I don't know a whole lot about M5's and would like an experienced owner's opinion.

Thanks in advance for all of your replies. By the way, I own two businesses, a software/web development firm (newvisionusa.com) and an eBay store (yourauctionpros.com). If any M5 owners need anything, feel free to contact me anytime. We have to take care of our own!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Welcome! I, too, am a Chicago member. There are quite a few of us here. You should look down a few posts for info on a Chicagoland M5 meet - hopefully you can join us.

As far as service, I understand Knauz in Lake Forest comes highly recommended. I've had good and bad experiences at Fields in Northbrook. If you want to go to an independent, you might check out The Werkshop in Lake Forest.

Lot's more folks on the board are more knowledgeable than I on your other questions, but thought I could be the first to welcome you to the Cult of M5.

Gavin

bpautsch said:
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 2000 Certified Black M5 with 49K miles. As far as I can tell, it's 100% stock...but not for long. I've been reading through the forums and there's a ton of great information here. I've researched a lot of my questions, but still would like to get some more current opinions.

1. I am not a very technical person and will not be working on this car. Can someone recommend a Chicago shop for basic maintenance? I live in Glendale Heights, but I'd drive anywhere in Chicago for good service. I've bought a few cars from Motor Werks and I've heard good things about Perillo.

2. I have the 100K mile warranty. I know new BMWs have all service covered by the warranty (oil changes, etc.). Any chance it applies to my car? Probably not. And I've seen a lot about clutches going bad pretty often. Since it's a wear and tear item, how could the warranty cover it?

3. I see a lot of people recommending the MAF cleaning. I'll be doing this tomorrow. Any other recommendations? With 49K miles, should I change the plugs, belts, etc?

4. Mods...I see a lot of people recommending the Powerchip, short throw shifters and exhaust...not too expensive to start. What order of mods would you all recommend? First what? Then what? What order makes sense and is the best bang for you buck?

5. Are there any Chicagoland M5 owners who might like to give me an opinion on my car? I'd be happy to drive out to meet anywhere. I don't know a whole lot about M5's and would like an experienced owner's opinion.

Thanks in advance for all of your replies. By the way, I own two businesses, a software/web development firm (newvisionusa.com) and an eBay store (yourauctionpros.com). If any M5 owners need anything, feel free to contact me anytime. We have to take care of our own!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gavin...thanks for the info. I saw that post about the Chicagoland meet and will definitely make it there. I live about 15 minutes from Schaumburg...see you then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Congrats & welcome :byee55amg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Welcome!

Hopefully this Chicagoland meet will coalesce and in which case, I hope to see you there!

As far as dealers, KNAUZ in Lake Bluff has had my business for ten years. Can't say enough about them.

If you want an independant, Midwest Motorsports in Glenview I hear does great work, as does Fall Line in Northbrook. You can google each.

In terms of modifications, I recommend the exhaust mod. Changes the character of the car completely and adds typically a few ponies. But really, it's about sound and the visceral experience.

Good luck!
-Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Another welcome!

Knauz has been terrific for us. We bought our M from Perillo, and use Perillo for our "standard" servicing, as we live downtown, and Perillo is more convenient. However, for anything that's even slightly more complicated, we use Knauz (i.e., when we called Perillo to do our first service, we asked them to install an AUX input for our iPod. Their response was "what's an AUX input?"). Knauz has also done very right by us with respect to our MINI.

Here's hoping everyone in and around Chicago can get together in May,

Mrs_Struth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Hello and welcome.


Mark Bodan at Fall Line has taken really good care of me. I got my M5 back and it drives like a ferrari with four doors.....


I highly recommend them. I got the Dinan exhaust, CAI, Differential, Brembo's, Stage 3 suspension. I will be going back for the headers after summer. These guys are the real deal. Real racers. My b rother is going to bring his 911 in to modify as well to Fall Line.


Knauz service was good, but they still are a "dealership"..... always looking for a way to charge......


Hope to see you at the meet.


RKM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
With a 100k mi warranty it sounds like it's probably a certified BMW (Meaning it probably has 6 year or 100k mi). Unfortunately, this does not extend the full maintenance warranty(which covers oil changes and such), which remains at 50k or 4 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
With a 100k mi warranty it sounds like it's probably a certified BMW (Meaning it probably has 6 year or 100k mi). Unfortunately, this does not extend the full maintenance warranty(which covers oil changes and such), which remains at 50k or 4 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Hi and welcome. I take my car to Laurel motors in Westmont, they have been great and I have gone there for many years. If you go, talk to Don Pawlik. Also I have used Fall Line, they are first rate also but farther away if you don't need their specialized services. If you have 100k coverage, it is probably CPO, you should have the certificate from BMW in the stuff that came with the car, but the service dept at Laurel or any BMW dealer can check. But this does not cover routine maintenance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bpautsch said:
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 2000 Certified Black M5 with 49K miles. As far as I can tell, it's 100% stock...but not for long. I've been reading through the forums and there's a ton of great information here. I've researched a lot of my questions, but still would like to get some more current opinions.

1. I am not a very technical person and will not be working on this car. Can someone recommend a Chicago shop for basic maintenance? I live in Glendale Heights, but I'd drive anywhere in Chicago for good service. I've bought a few cars from Motor Werks and I've heard good things about Perillo.

2. I have the 100K mile warranty. I know new BMWs have all service covered by the warranty (oil changes, etc.). Any chance it applies to my car? Probably not. And I've seen a lot about clutches going bad pretty often. Since it's a wear and tear item, how could the warranty cover it?

3. I see a lot of people recommending the MAF cleaning. I'll be doing this tomorrow. Any other recommendations? With 49K miles, should I change the plugs, belts, etc?

4. Mods...I see a lot of people recommending the Powerchip, short throw shifters and exhaust...not too expensive to start. What order of mods would you all recommend? First what? Then what? What order makes sense and is the best bang for you buck?

5. Are there any Chicagoland M5 owners who might like to give me an opinion on my car? I'd be happy to drive out to meet anywhere. I don't know a whole lot about M5's and would like an experienced owner's opinion.

Thanks in advance for all of your replies. By the way, I own two businesses, a software/web development firm (newvisionusa.com) and an eBay store (yourauctionpros.com). If any M5 owners need anything, feel free to contact me anytime. We have to take care of our own!
Thanks, everyone for your comments. I spoke with someone at Knaux Motors and he said Kevin Hade is the "M Specialist" there and that I should speak with him regarding maintenance and mods. So that answers #1 and helps with #4. As for #2, I looked into the CPO and no maint is covered...as expected. Regarding #3, the car is running great, so I'll stay away from cleaning the MAFs for now. And then #5...looks like the Chicago M5 owners are getting together soon. I'll be sure to make it out and get some opinions there.

As I mentioned in the original post, feel free to contact me for any web/eBay related stuff...it's what I do for a living. And if you need a place to host images, I'd be happy to do it for you for free.

Thanks again,
Brian
<!-- / message -->
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Brian-

Just FYI, the Dinan guy, or the M Specialist at Knauz is Kevin Hale, as far as I know.

Unless Kevin Hale no longer works at Knauz and someone by the name of Kevin Hade took over his position, it's Hale. Just a tip so there's no confusion.

:)

Good luck! Hope to see you at the meet.

-Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Matthew.
I also spoke with Mark Bodan at Fall Line, which is even closer to my house. He seems to be very knowledgeable and more a tuner than maintenance guy. I'm thinking of visiting there later this week. Mark said they always have 2 modified M5's there that we can take for a ride. It might help me decide what mods I should add. Also, they're Dinan installers and the parts won't void my CPO warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
bpautsch said:
Mark said they always have 2 modified M5's there that we can take for a ride.
I hear they have two S2 M5s...


:wroom: :D :M5launch:

-Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Fall Line is definitely worth visiting - the guys are great, and there is plenty of eye candy. The first time we went, we were in the MINI, and it was very hard not to want to throw all of the Dinan bits at it!!!



bpautsch said:
Thanks, Matthew.
I also spoke with Mark Bodan at Fall Line, which is even closer to my house. He seems to be very knowledgeable and more a tuner than maintenance guy. I'm thinking of visiting there later this week. Mark said they always have 2 modified M5's there that we can take for a ride. It might help me decide what mods I should add. Also, they're Dinan installers and the parts won't void my CPO warranty.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top