BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just purchased an Imola Red 2000 M5 and I absolutely love the beast. My last car was an Audi S4 and as much as I love my BMW, I am sad to let the S4 go. A good friend of mine is buying her so at least she will stay in the family.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The M5 has 84,000 miles on it, mainly highway but a lot of miles regardless. My question is what brand and weight oil would you high mileage guys recommend and do you run the same weight in the winter and summer, I live in Boston? I read a few old posts raving about the Royal purple gearbox oil so I also plan to change that immediately as well. Are their any other maintenance items I should plan on doing immediately or in the near future? Does anyone know where I can get a list of recommended service items and intervals by BMW for the higher range of mileage?

<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance for your input,

<o:p></o:p>

Chase

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the family! Like you, I also own a 2000 and our oil specifications and recommendations are different then later years. Castrol 10-60 TWS ($10.00/litre) oil is BMW recommendation for the vehicle, particullarly if your vehicle was manufactured before 4/00 (Check your mfg date in the drivers door.) The earlier cars used hemispherical rings, causing more issues with blowby. Cars made at 4/00 and after are authorized to use synthetic 5W-30. I have an early 2000 and was having massive issues with oil consumption (1 Litre/ 500 Miles), my mechanic recommended that I switch to Swepco 20W-50 since he said the 10-60 pours like water into the crankcase. Since then I have cut my oil consumption down considerably (1 Litre / 4000 Miles) and since it never gets cold in California, I have never worried about flow with the heavier oil.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Welcome! First, there is a group of us Boston guys meeting May 14th to drive to Newport if you are interested - search for the thread on this board for more details.

I stick with the factory oil and fluid recommendations. If belts have not been done, I would do them. I just had Gallery in Norwood do them and my plugs as well. My car has 49K miles.........and I felt the difference. Direct Tire in Norwood does a good job on a four wheel alignment if yours need one. Rear sway bar brackets (and those darn cup holders!) break all the time, have them checked as well. if you have the orginal clutch, expect to replace it at some point. Mine lasted 40K miles....

Good luck, enjoy the car - as an FYI, I just got a RS 6 last month, and love it, but not as much as my M!

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome to the board and on becoming an M5 owner! As Southshore said, be sure to checkup on meet information on the board as the Boston guys are usually pretty active and we have about 3-5 meets a year (including one in May). You will find almost all the information you need about the car through running a search as the forum is very descriptive in terms of the M5 maintence and probem areas. Looking forward to meeting you at one of the meets and congratulations again on the M5.

Southshore:

The plugs made quite a difference right? How bad were your belts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the input everyone. I will definitely try to make the outing on May 14<SUP>th </SUP>and I am looking forward to meeting everyone in person. I’m planning on joining the Boston chapter of the BCCA but are their any other local clubs and or websites that I should look into or are most of the meets just coordinated through this forum? My car is at the stereo shop right now and I have to say after driving the M the S4 is just not as enjoyable. I can’t wait to get her back, put that huge smile back on my face and post some pics for the forum.

:M5launch: :D

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
313 Posts
There certainly isn't a four door around that is anything like the M5. Comfort, elegance and high performance. Solid and smooth....when running correctly! Get an aftermarket extended warranty. Things are very expensive on these cars!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Stem:

What has gone on your M5 since we last spoke that has made you imperiative to tell others to get the extended warranty? If I remember correctly last time I spoke with you last summer/fall you had not had many issues with the M5 at that point. What has broken since then? Hope you can make it to the meet on the 14th!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts