BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought an 02 M5 silver with black leather interior. What a car, but I think the clutch is on the way out. At low revs and when you labour the engine up a hill there is no problem. However when you boot it in second and third gear sometimes it slips higher up the the rev range 5000 rpm and upwards. Is this a sign that the clutch is on its way out

·
Registered
729 Posts
It sounds like the clutch is on the way out.
Do a few searches for the word clutch and you will come up with a ton of threads.

·
Registered
638 Posts
if the rev meter swings freely to the red line and the car is not pulling, clutch is defo on the way out..... do not keep checking if it is by flooring it this way else you could fry the flywheel, if it already isn't... clutch and flywheel is about £1200 at the dealer... and welcome to motoring heaven!

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Curious: where are you on the odometer?

When you're having the clutch done, you may want to search on "rear main seal" and "guibo" as well -- since the incremental labor is nearly zero at that point.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Thank's Mohan and Stack, new it was'nt going to be cheap but hell its worth it
Do a search, some of the auto parts stores sell the clutch and the flywheel for a lot less than BMW, with the only difference being the box. Search Luk and Sachs. Discussion of good pricing on this within the last week or so about "cheap parts".
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am in the middle of doing a clutch replacement on a '00 M5 I just picked up last week. As has been said, there is a ton of great info here on clutch replacements. Autozone is mentioned as a good place to get the Luk clutch and flywheel with a lifetime warranty, however Autozone is currently showing both parts to be a vendor backorder with no idea on when they will get more in stock.

After talking with the people at www.dialaclutch.com I ordered the OEM Luk clutch kit from them for $256 shipped-I would have bought the flywheel from them too, but they were out of stock. If you want a great deal on a brand new Luk flywheel, see my post in the forsale forum here:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110948

I am not the seller, but the guy is very nice and responds to questions quickly. And you can't beat $405 for a brand new flywheel!

Best of luck with your replacement-will you be doing it yourself or taking it to a mechanic/dealer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts