BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

I just bought my very first 2010 M5 a few weeks ago from a BMW dealer in NJ. It's been a great experience driving it. Today I took it to the dealer to check on a few things and a car wash. After it was done, I drove it straight home and was cleaning the bumpers a bit, when I noticed two chips on the back bumper. It looked like someone at the dealer accidentally hit another car when backing up, because it wasn't there before (my service consultant confirmed this).

So, I called my service consultant and he said I have to wait until Monday to talk to the manager. This is the first time being in this situation, and I was wondering if anyone who went through the same thing, has any suggestions for me. Should I just wait and let them fix it. If so, will it look "new" like when I first received it? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My dealer takes pictures of the car when it's dropped off. Did you notice if yours did that? Not that they would admit it now...
In any case, they should make it good by you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i always take pictures of my car before i drop it off at the dealers...after hearing all the horror stores on various forums...you cant be to careful when droppin it off

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer takes pictures of the car when it's dropped off. Did you notice if yours did that? Not that they would admit it now...
In any case, they should make it good by you.
No, I don't think they take pictures. I mean, I've been to a few NJ BMW dealers in the past, and I've never noticed them taking pictures when I dropped off my car. They just inspect it then write something down on a paper. Hmm.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Well you could have them repaint (cause that's the only way that particular blemish is getting fixed) but that panel will never match the others in the light. This is a tough situation for you because I doubt they'd be willing to take the car back and get you a replacement. Of course THEY don't want a damaged car on THEIR lot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If your service advisor confirmed they nicked your bumper on the lot, any reputable BMW dealer will fix it properly (remove the bumper cover and repaint it). Your car is so new they won't have a problem matching the color perfectly. Your Beast will be good as new.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry for the damage to your beast. I had the same thing happened to my m5. I always make the point to inspect my car for damages before leaving the dealership. I hope everything will work out for you. I am having my rear bumper replaced and painted next week. I was so pissed when the damage occurred. But, it's too late and I hope that they will do an excellent job color matching.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Well you could have them repaint (cause that's the only way that particular blemish is getting fixed) but that panel will never match the others in the light.
The colors of bumpers and other plastic trim often do not exactly match. Plastic parts are painted before they arrive at the BMW factory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well you could have them repaint (cause that's the only way that particular blemish is getting fixed) but that panel will never match the others in the light. This is a tough situation for you because I doubt they'd be willing to take the car back and get you a replacement. Of course THEY don't want a damaged car on THEIR lot.
Paint matching shouldn't be a problem on newer cars. Not saying always perfect, but more things match than not. Saying it will never match is just wrong.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the damage to your beast. I had the same thing happened to my m5. I always make the point to inspect my car for damages before leaving the dealership. I hope everything will work out for you. I am having my rear bumper replaced and painted next week. I was so pissed when the damage occurred. But, it's too late and I hope that they will do an excellent job color matching.
How bad was the damage on your bumper? Did they simply say they'll replace the entire bumper, or did you have to argue for it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
you know what... the same thing happend to me a while ago.... my car was in the dealer for a couple of days and someone from the dealer drove my car and backed it up against something and left me a big ding right in the middle of the rear bumper!

·
Registered
506 Posts
06ggm5: That sucks, man. Did you have them fix it? If so, how did it turn out? If not, why not?

umm... to be honest i just didn't have the heart to go through all the hassle that they might bring me and all that bull crap!!! so i just didn't say anything about it at all as bad as I wanted too! also the service adviser is a friend of mine and i didn't want to be disrespectful to him because he always takes care of my cars when i take them in..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The colors of bumpers and other plastic trim often do not exactly match. Plastic parts are painted before they arrive at the BMW factory.
You are absolutely right. I thought it was the door that was nicked. It is the rear bumper, so a repaint will be fine. Same would apply for the front bumper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The BMW auto body and collision manager just told me that they will have to remove the bumper and repaint it. Will be without my beast for 3 days, and driving a loaner in the meantime.

From now on, I'll make sure my SA and I do a walk-around before I leave the dealership.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
118 Posts
sorry about what happened to your car man, Got a quick question tho in one of the pics do you have black exhaust tips??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Glad it worked out. They took care of you right? Or was it a split?
Yes, they're taking care of it. I just hope that whoever they send it to does a great job.

sorry about what happened to your car man, Got a quick question tho in one of the pics do you have black exhaust tips??
Thanks, dude. To answer your question, my M5 has the Dinan free flow exhaust with black tips, as well as stage 1 software upgrade.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts