BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
But I can only have two, and can't imagine selling either.

The end year for Z3M roadster was 2002, correct? New Canaan - lived there long ago. I'd think strong C&C scene?
Thanks! Agreed, I wouldn't sell either of your cars either. I do believe 2002 was the last MY for the Z3M coupe/roadster...the S54 was used starting with MY 2001.

Hell of a squad you've got there. Love the addition of an S54 to that stable (as a 2001 z3 m coupe owner!).
Thanks. Yes, have owned an S54 Z4M coupe since 2007. Outside of the V10 S85, there is no BMW engine that I enjoy taking to its redline more. (And, unlike with the S85, you are not at go to jail speeds when you do so.). MY 2001+ Z3M coupes are really taking off. I was going to hunt one down but then the Z4M coupe was finally announced. And it was not popular (then) so deals were to be had.

Congrats on the M2C! It's really a great car in this era of EPS/turbo's. Nice to see the M5 and Z4M stay in the fleet.
Thanks! Yes, I have no plans to sell them; I feel they represent some of the best of classic BMW values - RWD, manual only, normally aspirated. Hell, the M2C is last MT RDW new BMW I will probably (or can) buy...:(

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
A Z4M. Another one I'd love to own. Ten years ago when I looked they were very rare and prices were . . . elevated.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A Z4M. Another one I'd love to own. Ten years ago when I looked they were very rare and prices were . . . elevated.
Well, now is the time. Yes, they are not common, with approximately 1800 Z4M coupes and 3000 Z4M roadsters being sent to North America for MYs 2006 - 2008. I am partial to the coupes of course, but their values are already on the rise (but still affordable); the roadster is a bargain currently IMO. As they are all MT only and have the S54, I imagine all will see values rise soon. Before collectors get in there to store these great cars, buy one now and drive it!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Congrats Kevin! That is a nice addition and less redundancy than the F80 / E39 combo for sure.

Curious when you get more miles what you think of the M2C for longer distance road trips - say 3-5 hours in a day. If you ever do such driving in that car. Obviously it’s small and short but if the seats are good and the suspension has more compliance than the F80 maybe it’s pretty enjoyable for longer drives ?

I’m still hanging in with the Panamera but keep thinking about jumping back into a M car. Not a e39 this time. Maybe e46 M3 or E90 but also curious about the M2. Is it worth getting without comp at all?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congrats Kevin! That is a nice addition and less redundancy than the F80 / E39 combo for sure.

Curious when you get more miles what you think of the M2C for longer distance road trips - say 3-5 hours in a day. If you ever do such driving in that car. Obviously it’s small and short but if the seats are good and the suspension has more compliance than the F80 maybe it’s pretty enjoyable for longer drives ?

I’m still hanging in with the Panamera but keep thinking about jumping back into a M car. Not a e39 this time. Maybe e46 M3 or E90 but also curious about the M2. Is it worth getting without comp at all?
Can't speak in from an owners perspective but I just drove a M2C this past weekend, I don't know if that is a car I'd use for road tripping. Seats are on the snugger side and the ride was pretty... sporty.

The M5 Comp however would fit the long distance trip void perfectly.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I won't be doing that kind of driving in this car, but certainly the 2 hour trip from Tucson to Scottsdale (which I do frequently because family live there) is dispatched comfortably. I would have no concerns taking the car on a longer road trip.

You just cannot go wrong with a well-maintained E46 M3. That said, it has its limitations as a DD given relative lack of low-end torque and obviously dated technology.

A used 2016 - 2018 non competition M2 is clearly a bargain currently, as most M2Cs are going for MSRP (that might be starting to change). That said, I did not consider one. I really wanted the S55 engine (which is the same one in my previous F80 M3), not the N55. The higher end to 7500 RPM is definitely different with the S55. In isolation, the regular M2 is a great car (yes, I have driven it), but when you add the S55, enhanced sport seats, front carbon fiber strut bar, bigger brakes (probably too much, but applause to M for making 6-piston front and 4-piston rear brakes standard on NA M2Cs)...it all adds up to a significant difference.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
15 Participants
KevinM
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing