BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not exactly M5 related, but I feel like some of you are extended family since I've been here since September 2004...and I've included some pictures of the M5, so there's that...:)

As some of you know, I did a European Delivery on a 2016 M3 in June of that year. I actually had wanted an M2, but it had just come out and there were no ED slots available in the time frame I wanted. Since the competition package had just come out for the F8X M3/4, I decided to order one instead. I leased it because the deals were absolutely beyond excellent and I wasn't sure I was going to keep the car. Because there was nothing else that I really wanted after 1.5 years, I actually thought I was going to keep it. However, then the M2C came out with the S55 engine (the same one in the M3/4; the original M2 had a beefed up version of the N55). That was enough for me, as I really did want a smaller DD. (CSBM5 also had recently purchased one and gave it high praise, and I believe we have similar tastes in cars.:)).

After the prerequisite 3-month wait, it finally landed. I have put about 600 miles on it so far, so I haven't been able to drive it all out, but I know the S55 well enough to know what that last 2500 RPM will feel like. It really is a fantastic car, the best new BMW I have driven since the 1M. The steering is lighter but with more feel than the M3. The clutch/shifter are predictably similar but that is good, as they are (for a BMW) quite smooth. It is hard to pinpoint why the car feels so different that the M3, but I suppose it boils down to the smaller size. I did respect the M3, but I never really fell in love with it. After only a few weeks, I truly love the M2C.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congratulations :cheers:

Been on the fence too on M2 Comp

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I'm glad you like it Kevin! We've had ours for 10 months now, and my wife and I love the car. In over 40 years of driving/autocrossing/tracking BMWs, I've never owned one that I've not modified at least the suspension. The M2C is just perfect as is so far.

It was really fun to fly up to IL to buy it as I was in/out of the dealership in short order, and requested they not provide any intro to the car as I needed to get on the road as I had to be at the proving grounds in SC in three days. It was like plopping into a rental car where you aren't familiar with it, and over the following two days driving back south I slowly got to know the car. The thing that surprised me the most right off the bat getting onto the Interstate was how the steering had dead straight tracking and had that nailed to the road feeling with excellent just off center feel/response. They've done a very good job with the EPS reprogramming.

By the way, my M5 sold again on BaT last month as my buyer was moving to CA and couldn't have three cars. It is now in LA in very good hands with a well-known car industry veteran who purchased it (along with being a really cool guy).

Chuck

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's a nice, well rounded lineup you have there! The M2 is the one new BMW that actually interests me right now. What color is it? Can't tell if it's white or a really light silver.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm glad you like it Kevin! We've had ours for 10 months now, and my wife and I love the car. In over 40 years of driving/autocrossing/tracking BMWs, I've never owned one that I've not modified at least the suspension. The M2C is just perfect as is so far.

It was really fun to fly up to IL to buy it as I was in/out of the dealership in short order, and requested they not provide any intro to the car as I needed to get on the road as I had to be at the proving grounds in SC in three days. It was like plopping into a rental car where you aren't familiar with it, and over the following two days driving back south I slowly got to know the car. The thing that surprised me the most right off the bat getting onto the Interstate was how the steering had dead straight tracking and had that nailed to the road feeling with excellent just off center feel/response. They've done a very good job with the EPS reprogramming.

By the way, my M5 sold again on BaT last month as my buyer was moving to CA and couldn't have three cars. It is now in LA in very good hands with a well-known car industry veteran who purchased it (along with being a really cool guy).

Chuck
Yes, the EPS is a nice improvement over the F80. I hope your M5 has a wonderful home; it deserves it. I really wish I had room and extra cash for your E39...:)

That's a nice, well rounded lineup you have there! The M2 is the one new BMW that actually interests me right now. What color is it? Can't tell if it's white or a really light silver.
It's a great car; hopefully you can test drive one. Good eye; it is Hockenheim Sliver, a sort of light Nardo Gray (Audi color). It appears light gray in sunlight and more white in darker conditions.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Yes, the EPS is a nice improvement over the F80
Elaborate? I thought the ZCP had reworked EPS also, but I actually don't know if that's true. We came very close to buying one of the last F80 ZCP cars, 6MT, Imola Red...my wife just didn't want a car that large, and we only had the typical short test drive (in a non-ZCP DCT car no less), so it would likely have been a mistake to assume the ZCP steering was better, etc. The deal I had on the car was fantastic though still a good bit more than the M2C.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Elaborate? I thought the ZCP had reworked EPS also, but I actually don't know if that's true. We came very close to buying one of the last F80 ZCP cars, 6MT, Imola Red...my wife just didn't want a car that large, and we only had the typical short test drive (in a non-ZCP DCT car no less), so it would likely have been a mistake to assume the ZCP steering was better, etc. The deal I had on the car was fantastic though still a good bit more than the M2C.

The EPS was revised with the ZCP and it seems that it was continually revised subtly again in 2017 and possibly 2018 based on some reviews (not official of course). Compared to my ZCP, the M2C steering is lighter but feels more precise and has less of an "artificially" heavy feel in Sport +. I tend to like heavier steering (not that it is light in the M2C) so at first I wasn't sure about the M2C steering. But the more I pushed the car, the more I appreciated the steering.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Congrats. A nice addition for sure. I like the color... it's different.

I'll never sell my E39, with so much sentimental value and after 286,000 miles so far, it really doesn't have much cash value anyway. The need for a newer daily will always happen every so often though, so currently I'm switching between daily driving the E39 and an F10 M5 6MT I bought last Fall. I like the F10 a lot but I'm thinking about an M2 in the future. How tight or how comfortable are the seats?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Excellent pickup! Congrats! :)

I've only driven the M2 during the M Track Days event on that short autocross track, but I'm interested in renting one for a day from Turo to really get to know it. But I can't have 3 cars and definitely want at least 1 sedan in my stable, so unless I sell the M5, an M2 isn't really an option, but an M3 could be.

Would you say the handling on the M2C is considerably better than the M3, or just marginal?

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Kevin,

Did you return the M3 to BMW of Tucson? I checked their site to see what they showed, and it's not shown, but wow they have a one owner 2001 Z3M roadster (S54) with only 29k miles. They are only asking $30,869 which seems like a great price for that car....especially a one owner Arizona car.

technician117,

I find the M2C seats to be very comfortable with great support when cornering (adjustable side bolsters help). They are essentially the seats from the M4. I would prefer that the headrest wasn't integrated into the seat, but I've gotten used to it I guess.

I would also have liked BMW to not have gone so hog wild on the big brakes. The fronts are so massive (400mm rotors) that you have to use 19" wheels on the car, so that limits wheel and tire choices for autocross/track setups.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats. A nice addition for sure. I like the color... it's different.

I'll never sell my E39, with so much sentimental value and after 286,000 miles so far, it really doesn't have much cash value anyway. The need for a newer daily will always happen every so often though, so currently I'm switching between daily driving the E39 and an F10 M5 6MT I bought last Fall. I like the F10 a lot but I'm thinking about an M2 in the future. How tight or how comfortable are the seats?
The seats are the same ones that are used in the F80 M3/F82 M4 base models. The ZCP packages deleted lumbar support due to the back rest cutouts, but also have essentially the same seat. I find them quite comfortable. The side bolsters are electronically adjustable and so can accommodate a variety of body types. Between that and the standard electronically adjustable settings, the lumbar support and the adjustable steering wheel (manual, not electronic, but adjustable in all directions), I can't image not finding a comfortable driving position. However, luxury wise, as expected, your F10 has it all over the M2C.

Kevin,

Did you return the M3 to BMW of Tucson? I checked their site to see what they showed, and it's not shown, but wow they have a one owner 2001 Z3M roadster (S54) with only 29k miles. They are only asking $30,869 which seems like a great price for that car....especially a one owner Arizona car.
I returned it to Chapman BMW in Chandler, as my local dealership didn't have an allocation. There is a Tucson buyer interested in the car, and he has been connected to my SA.:). Agree on the M3 roadster, especially for a dealer sale. They probably don't have any clue that that is the only year that has the S54....

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent pickup! Congrats! :)

I've only driven the M2 during the M Track Days event on that short autocross track, but I'm interested in renting one for a day from Turo to really get to know it. But I can't have 3 cars and definitely want at least 1 sedan in my stable, so unless I sell the M5, an M2 isn't really an option, but an M3 could be.

Would you say the handling on the M2C is considerably better than the M3, or just marginal?
I personally would not trade a well-maintained E39 M5 for an F80 M3, but the latter is still the closest new car on the market to the E39 in terms of size and purpose. I cannot fully comment on the M2C during break-in, but I definitely think the passive suspension is better than the adaptive one on the M3 (of course, the M3 ZCP has massive 20 inch wheels). The M3 more or less crashed over uneven pavement, where the M2C (while obviously not a soft ride) soaks up just enough to make it enjoyable. The steering on the M2C seems to have more feel, but see my comments earlier in this thread; I suspect that 2017+ F8X cars may have a similar feel.

Want a new/newer car, need four doors and also want RWD and a MT? Meet the F80 M3. Otherwise, I'd vote for the M2C.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I returned it to Chapman BMW in Chandler, as my local dealership didn't have an allocation. There is a Tucson buyer interested in the car, and he has been connected to my SA.:). Agree on the M3 roadster, especially for a dealer sale. They probably don't have any clue that that is the only year that has the S54....
Well damn, these AZ dealerships just keep giving! It's an SMG, so there's that, but Chapman has a really nice looking, one-owner E46 M3 convertible in Carbon Black with Cinnamon with only 35k miles for $19,866. The Hagerty estimate for that car is somewhere in the low $30k range, and if it was at EAG (and a 6MT), they'd be asking probably $39,900.

It's also a one-owner AZ car like the Z3M.

These are great entry price points, especially on the Z3M, for these two cars. The E46 will require new wheels since they've been chromed, but I believe that OE E46 M3 wheels are still available unlike the E39 M5 wheels.

What's next from these two dealers?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Congratulations on the M2C!
BMW has found its way back again with this car....what is the name of that color!!! I hate to call it battleship grey, but having seen one back in April at the New Canaan C&C it just stopped me dead.
Enjoy the new ride!!
M

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations on the M2C!
BMW has found its way back again with this car....what is the name of that color!!! I hate to call it battleship grey, but having seen one back in April at the New Canaan C&C it just stopped me dead.
Enjoy the new ride!!
M

Thanks! It's called Hockenheim Silver, named after the track in Germany.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks for the excellent first hand reviews of the M2C. Maybe in a couple of years that could be a CPO target. But I can only have two, and can't imagine selling either.

That is a good price from a dealer. Have been some pretty good deals on BaT lately, including a 14K mile Estoril: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m-roadster-30/ That M3 is a steal for anyone who wants vert and SMG.

The end year for Z3M roadster was 2002, correct? New Canaan - lived there long ago. I'd think strong C&C scene?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congrats on the M2C! It's really a great car in this era of EPS/turbo's. Nice to see the M5 and Z4M stay in the fleet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
15 Participants
KevinM
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing