BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yeah! I can go to the Monterey portion this year! WAHOO!

And I am proud to be the first of hopefully many donors to the 2nd Annual "Thank Gustav for BMWM5.COM Fund".

New members: It doesn't matter whether you come to this event or not (although it really shouldn't be missed.) If you value the information, expertise and new friendships you get from this extremely unique board, you owe your thanks to Gustav, without whom this board would not exist.

Gustav funds the board out of his own pocket (the tiny funding coming from sponsors doesn't cover expenses - trust me) - and this site was his brainchild, way back in 1999! Show your support by making a contribution. It is easy with PayPal. Donate whatever you feel appropriate. Last year we had donations in every amount from $20 to $200 per person, and we raised nearly $7000 to bring Gustav to the U.S., pay his hotels, and show him a good time. I hope you'll join me in expressing your thanks with your wallet as well as your words.

All the information you need is on the event site.

/Greg

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
About 70 members donated almost $7000 to the Gustav Fund last year and Gustav had a blast in California.
That leaves over 3000 other members who might want to show their appreciation for the first time this year.

2002 Donations:

1. Greg
2. PaulMarin
3. Basil
4. Jimmy Wong
5. Thomas Cowden
6. Thomas McDonald
7. Jason Tang
8. Technicapital Venture
9. Adam Weiner
10. Chun Pong Ng

·
Registered
948 Posts
Regarding Monterey Marriott resevations:

We have a short period of time this year to reserve and secure our rooms for August 15-18 in Monterey. If you want to go, you need to plan ahead and BOOK SOON (or it may be Motel 6 for you). It will be a surefire M5 blast!

To book your room email me at [email protected]

Paul

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
The 2001 Extravaganza was WONDERFUL! Too bad

*the Boxster S engine went RIP

*and the Mitsu Eclipse that was stand in at Sears Point brakes only lasted two hours, not even until the track session :hihi:

But the Boxster S wasa really nice car fornot being a BMW!

Here is a post from last year:

http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8385&highlight=back

THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL 2001!

:byee55amg

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
SWing said:
Is this event strictly for M5 owners? I have a friend who owns a M3 and he might be interested in joining this.
Sugi -

This is one of those "sort of" deals. If we open the door to M3's we open a large can of worms - what about other M vehicles? If it were open to all of them we probably couldn't handle the crowds. We really like our fellow car nuts - but to ensure that our own M5 and Z8 owners' experience isn't diluted, I can tell you FOR SURE that:

1) Not on the track at Sears Point - M5 and Z8 only.
2) Not for blocked, discounted hotel rooms
3) Not in the M5 Corral at Concorso Italiano

However - nothing wrong with he or she "tagging along" - watching at sears, driving down with us, attending the same events (anyone can attend the public events, and we can't buy tickets to most of them as a group anyway.)

OK?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I missed this last year and I fully intend to make it this year even if I have to die trying! I'm still awaiting my paypal funds transfer and then I should be able to donate some money for the Gustav funds!

Greg, I'm surprised that you didn't make it last year! I would've thought that you'd have gone.

I do agree also that this event should only be open to M5/Z8 owners/drivers.

I do have ONE question...will it be possible for one of you guys who is arranging this event to look into hiring an sign language interpreter for me since I'm deaf.

Finally, is there a price list for EVERYTHING including the Jim Russell Racing Driver's school? I saw a few pricing lists for certain things but not everything. I reckon that we're expected to make all the arrangements ourselves for each event, correct?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Hi, Jason -

Last year I did get to pick up Gustav from the airport, take him to kae Tahoe for a decompression and adjustment period, and then attend the Sears Point event. But I had previously arranged family travel plans to British Columbia that overlapped the Monterey portion. So I can't wait to go.

As for a sign language interpreter - there really isn't one ongoing event - just a string of events we'll hope to show up to together - and they are somewhat distributed geographically. More importantly the most fun part will be to talk with other M5 owners and you never know where/when you're going to run into them. So I would think your best bet would be to have someone with you the whole time. Perhaps a family member or friend can travel with you?

If you are planning to participate in the Sears Point performance driving class, I would certainly think you'd want an interpreter, but you may need to have someone call the Jim Russell school on your behalf and see what their policy is. I'm sure they'll accommodate you if they can; on the other hand I don't know how you could get in-car instruction too well. If they have ever done it they'll have a better understanding of what is involved. You can find out about available services for all of the various events by using the "resources" page on our event site (http://www.bmwm5.com/monterey).

And finally, if it comes down to your hiring someone local, I'd be happy to look into it for you. You should contact me privately and let me know what kinds of questions I should ask to ensure your needs are met.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gustav........

well, what can I say? funding this site yourself? I must give you my sincere thanks. If I had some money, and a credit card, I would donate to the fund, but since I dont have a job, and I can't get money from anywhere else I can't. I will be sure to donate in the future, as this Message board is a God Send for some of the members, like helping them with problems and stuff.

Keep up the GREAT work mate ;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I will be at Monterey this August (with luck we will be at the track for 2 weekends in a row, starting with the Pre-historic races August 10,11). However we will be at the track with the Jaguar C-Type. I would like to take part in the M5 fun but not enough room in the race trailer for the C and the Z8.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding Monterey Marriott resevations: APRIL 15 is the DEADLINE

We have a short period of time this year to reserve and secure our rooms for August 15-18 in Monterey. If you want to go, you need to plan ahead and BOOK SOON (or it may be Motel 6 for you). It will be a surefire M5 blast!

To book your room email me at [email protected]

I will be away from March 24 - April 6. I will return your emails when I return.

Paul

·
Registered
648 Posts
Crap! Last year I missed it and this year I don't have the M5 anymore.:crying:
I will try to meet up with you guys at the CCA corral at concourso, but I think USC might start the week before. Noooooo! Have Fun all!

Ted
'95 M3

·
Registered
556 Posts
greg said:
Gustav funds the board out of his own pocket (the tiny funding coming from sponsors doesn't cover expenses - trust me) - and this site was his brainchild, way back in 1999! Show your support by making a contribution.
While I won't be attending, it only seemed right to chip in for Gustav. He's done so much for all of us.
And PayPal is easy to use (and set up), for those unfamiliar with it.

Hope you guys have fun!

- A-Train

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm thinking of driving down for the Sears point track day but as spectator only and then attend the whole Monterey weekend events. I so want to see all the Italian cars at the Concorso! Seems like a dream place for someone like me.

I'm first going to see if my father will let me take the M5 down to the Bay area but if he doesn't then I will drive down in my Mini Cooper:D I'll keep you guys updated

I will most likely head down with Jason...:cheers:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Jet black M5 in Van said:
I'm thinking of driving down for the Sears point track day but as spectator only and then attend the whole Monterey weekend events. I so want to see all the Italian cars at the Concorso! Seems like a dream place for someone like me.

I'm first going to see if my father will let me take the M5 down to the Bay area but if he doesn't then I will drive down in my Mini Cooper:D I'll keep you guys updated

I will most likely head down with Jason...:cheers:
Looks like we'll have fun on the way down there! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts