BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did get from BMW Switzerland for two days the new M5 for a test ride to get the convincience to change from the old 3.8L M5
to the new one. I was quite impressed about
the big difference from those two cars.
Quality is a lot higher that on the E34 M5! But there were as well some negative points, so do I think. Let's take the suspension, the new one is extremly hard, if road conditions are bad the car is shaking extremly. If you are driving fast the car is getting swimmy, that was my impression. Compared to the E34 on bad roadconditions it's a lot more confortable and in high speed area it's sticking much better to the road.

Anybody got the same impression, or what are your experince in high speed driving, like in Germany?

I guess I will anyway give it a try, my BMW Dealer is going to make me a proposal on a E39 M5.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my E39 up to 145 mph today (not saying where!!!!! :))) Felt steady as a rock. Steering was dead-on with excellent input. Can't complain about the ride, since motions at that speed are exaggerated. I didn't feel the same way about the sensations I got in a 996 Porsche; was scared to death in that car over 100 mph!

·
Registered
17 Posts
>>>> Had my E39 up to 145 mph today (not saying where!!!!! :))) Felt steady as a rock. Steering was dead-on with excellent input. Can't complain about the ride, since motions at that speed are exaggerated. I didn't feel the same way about the sensations I got in a 996 Porsche; was scared to death in that car over 100 mph! <<<<

I am not sure what your point is but the 996 is just as steady, if not more than, as the M5 at speeds more than 145 mph. The 996 must have been going against the wind if you got scared at 100+ speeds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, but I've driven at least a dozen 996's, and all have felt like a roller skate on ball bearings at high speeds. The car is lighter and generates more lift at the rear than the M5. The best the 996 can achieve is zero downforce at the rear, but the M5 exhibits negative lift at the rear above 75 mph, and the spoiler adds 145 lbs of downforce, again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have had my E39 M5 up to 140mph, only briefly, and up to 110mph many times for longer periods. I find the car extremely stable at these speeds. My previous ride was a Dinan M3 and the M5 is more stable at high speeds and has a far superior ride. I also find the ride very good for such a stiff car. It is almost as good as my wife's 00' 528i with normal suspension, not sport. I have no complaints, except I wish the exhaust was louder.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just to add my two scents worth ... the E39 M5 is as steady as a rock (and a ton better than my partner's 993 at speed). Those who met yesterday for the NJ M5 meet had a quick spurt around the 135 mph mark and not one person mentioned anything about instability ... (more like insanity) ... just a bunch of smiles. We were just getting into our main course at the restaurant when Roman in his S4 caught up ... just kidding, I wanted to get that in before Roman sends out a write up on our event yesterday. I drove Roman's S4 and it's indeed worthy to join the ranks of all those cars we admire as enthusiasts ... but I digress.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the most important at high speeds is the car's behaviour when hard braking is requested.
We own in our business w/a friend a M5 E39 and a Ferrari F355 F1 98. The M5 is very stable at high speeds, but it feels much unsafe than the Ferrari when braking, i mean the M5 is balancing and you have to be aware to maintain the good direction ; in the Ferrari when hard braking (straight) from 220 kph you even do not have to hold the steering, really, it remains steady

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with Tom, that one of the most important aspects is braking from high speeds. Along those lines, I would suggest that Tom checks the front alignment on his M5, probably a toe-out condition. My M5 is very stable when braking from speeds between 120-150 mph. Far better balanced than a 993 I previously owned.

Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have the same problems as Geri. When I drive slowly over bad streets the car feels unconfortable. When I get it up to the limit (185mph isn't a real problem if you've enough free road in front of you) it starts around 130-140mph to get spongy (especially in curves!).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Daniel, i did not say M5 is bad at high speed braking, but the Ferrari is far better, it remains sticked to the road as a kart.
A Ferrari F355 is for that a much better car than the Porsche 993, which has more confort oriented suspensions.
The Ferrari is a car really designed for racing, not like Porsche or M cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If Porsches and M cars are not designed for racing then why is the field of cars in almost any sports car race composed of more Porsches and M3's than any other type of vehicle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Because Ferrari means very bad quality of components : with our F355 F1, F1 gearbox, alternator and other elements in the engine were changed during 15000 kms... ; our Ferrari dealer told us that they're probably going to change the whole engine !!
Be happy you've the Ferrari warranty of 2 yrs and additional warrantys available !!
Bullshit cars, worse than Fiat ! Ferrari should be proud of being owned by Fiat !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts