BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
that doesnt make sense. a displacement increase to 5.5l would make sense for 550hp. but, that AND turbos would mean way more hp than 550.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I could definitely see it happening with more stringent emissions laws ahead.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Ill take 550hp... Just imagine how much more hp we can squeeze out of the turbo motor with just software and minor bolt-ons. Just look at what their doing with the new 3 series turbo engines...

Reactions: Respect the M

·
Registered
682 Posts
If it has 550 ft lbs that will surely make a difference. With mods 750+ ft lbs may not be too difficult to achieve.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
that doesnt make sense. a displacement increase to 5.5l would make sense for 550hp. but, that AND turbos would mean way more hp than 550.
It could be pumping low boost but im sure its torque will be quiet high which is where its advantage comes from plus lower emissions.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
if they do put a turbo they wont be making a 5.5 litre. BWM says that optimum size for engine is 500cc per cylinder so they will not be making changes considering the engine is now at that level. and if they make a 5liter V10 twinturbo the power should be more in the 6s than the 5s. Bt only time will tell. turbocharging would maybe enable them to make it more frugal than the current engine and lower the emissions, plus give it more low end grunt.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have serious doubt that BMW will go turbo with the M line of performance cars.
That being said (what do I know) if you ask me an increase in displacement to 5.5L and adding twin turbo's only yields 50 bhp?
I find this to be very lame.
Yes I know of its potential tuneability but I kind of think BMW may make it near impossible to crack their ECU maps.
As a stock car this is not much bhp gain. I wonder what would be the MSRP?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I want to keep natural aspiration. If it were to be turbo'd and only make 50bhp more that would be because they would be looking to match the incredible torque curve of the second generation RS6. I'd sooner keep the race car redline.

Also, I doubt the hike will be more than 50-75bhp. Remember, the E60 was a HUGE performance jump from the E39 M5 and Motorsports policy is not to make that a habit, as evidenced by previous generations of M3 and M5. I mean we're still 86bhp up on the spanking new V8 M3 while the E39 was 58bhp up from the E46.

All this talk of "I want 600bhp" or I won't buy it sounds a little like the unreasonable wailing of spoiled children. I trust Motorsport will again get it right and by 2011 the DCT transmission will be opitimized. The next M5 is going to reclaim leadership of the class from...er...the E60:thumbsup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is no way it would be 550...probably somewhere around 620-650 for sure...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts