BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 M5 and ordered a new key with integrated remote from the dealership today. They said in order for the remote to work, I need to have it programed by their service department.

Does anyone know of a DIY to program the remote to the car? The dealership is an hour away and I don't feel like making the trip.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It's been posted before:

Quoted from Vossen:

It's been a while but if i recall correctly this is what you do. You might have to do this for both of your keys if you just got a new one.

1) Get in and close all doors.
2) Turn on the ingition to position 1 and turn off quickly (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process.
3) Remove the 1st key from ignition.
4) Hold the key up near the rearview mirror for best reception.
5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. Release the unlock button. Wait a few seconds and you should hear all the doors lock and unlock. This is your signal that the key should be programmed.
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

here's a discussion of it with similar instructions:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80489

Reactions: FirstXRS

·
Registered
97 Posts
Instructions are not in the car manual.

If you buy your keys from the stealership then will programs them for you. If you have multiple keys make sure to rotate using them because the ignition 'charges' the fob.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Instructions are not in the car manual.

If you buy your keys from the stealership then will programs them for you. If you have multiple keys make sure to rotate using them because the ignition 'charges' the fob.
Instructions are in the manual, p149 for a 2000 model
Yep, thats what I remembered. Also that manual (eng) can be found example from here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2000 M5 and ordered a new key with integrated remote from the dealership today. They said in order for the remote to work, I need to have it programed by their service department.

Does anyone know of a DIY to program the remote to the car? The dealership is an hour away and I don't feel like making the trip.

Thank you!
Hi bud, any chance you could hook me up with an email address where you got your key? lost one of the keys and I was hoping to have one key remade for my beast :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've all been a huge help. I was able to purchase my key at Park Place Motors in Rochester, MN for $162. Their phone number is 800-745-1358. They wanted another $50 to program it, but thanks to this board, I will be programming it myself.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's been posted before:

Quoted from Vossen:

It's been a while but if i recall correctly this is what you do. You might have to do this for both of your keys if you just got a new one.

1) Get in and close all doors.
2) Turn on the ingition to position 1 and turn off quickly (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process.
3) Remove the 1st key from ignition.
4) Hold the key up near the rearview mirror for best reception.
5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. Release the unlock button. Wait a few seconds and you should hear all the doors lock and unlock. This is your signal that the key should be programmed.
6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

here's a discussion of it with similar instructions:

key programming... formated ;-( - bimmerfest - BMW Forums
A quote from the manual which is important :

If you possess additional transmitters
for your vehicle (up to a maximum of
four units), you must now initialize these
as well. Be sure that no more than
30 seconds is allowed to elapse be-
tween the individual initialization proce-
dures. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each of
the transmitters when doing this. The
central locking system will confirm every
initialization procedure as described in
step 5.

·
Registered
581 Posts
MFreakin5,

I got a new key and was able to programed a full key, but how do I have program the valet key? I searched the board but I am unable to find how to program the valet key.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
MFreakin5,

I got a new key and was able to programed a full key, but how do I have program the valet key? I searched the board but I am unable to find how to program the valet key.
There is nothing to program on the valet key. It does not have the remote lock/unlock feature.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts