BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I finally found the time to finish wrapping my interior trim. I've never been a fan of the wood trim so I've been very eager to make this change. I decided to go with a brushed black metallic from 3M and couldn't be happier. It wasn't too difficult, but definitely time consuming. I removed all the trim pieces on the front dash and wrapped the trim around the back, but I didn't want to mess with taking all the door panels off to get the door trim wrapped - I was able to just lay the vinyl on the trim and then tuck it around the back without removing it. The vinyl takes on a different appearance, from deep dark black to a lighter slate type of color, depending on how the light hits it. Hope yo like it as much as I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice job on the wrap, where did you get those pads that are on top of the front door inner panels?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice job on the wrap, where did you get those pads that are on top of the front door inner panels?
I believe that is part of the LCI update!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Even though I hate wraps....I dislike wood trim even more. Looks much better. Good job. Glad is was not the fake CF look though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Looks great! I think this is the only finish that I would have considered to have instead of the BMW Individual black piano paint trim.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I always thought those part of the Extended Leather package.

The wrap looks great. I Bought the same material in silver for my Z3. I have yet to install it though. It looks like a black version of the brushed aluminum trim I have in the M5.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Even though I hate wraps....I dislike wood trim even more. Looks much better. Good job. Glad is was not the fake CF look though.
I agree. But I think I hate the look of fake carbon more than the wood.

That wrap looks real sweet though.

Nice job!!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It is part of the LCI update and extended leather package.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Since we can't do "multi quotes" on this silly app...

LCI and extended leather gets those little pads on the doors.

The trim around the shifter is pretty easy to get off: pull off shift knob, pull off the surrounding "aluminum" trim and then there are a couple of screws in there that need to come out. There is a DIY around (sorry can't find it at the moment or I'd include the link) that explains it pretty well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Has anyone covered the parts of the steering wheel sides, where it peels off i.e. that thin plastic film that comes of and looks extremely ugly......

·
Registered
769 Posts
Has anyone covered the parts of the steering wheel sides, where it peels off i.e. that thin plastic film that comes of and looks extremely ugly......
Finns att köpa ny från Bavaria eller Schmiedmann för några hundralappar. Ytbehandlingen är ändrad sedan LCI och den håller bättre nu.
Buy a new one from a dealer. According to my dealer, the surface treatment have been updated due to these issues and is now much more durable. It's pretty low cost too. So that's really the easy fix. And that's what I did. 100% happy with that.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Finns att köpa ny från Bavaria eller Schmiedmann för några hundralappar. Ytbehandlingen är ändrad sedan LCI och den håller bättre nu.
Buy a new one from a dealer. According to my dealer, the surface treatment have been updated due to these issues and is now much more durable. It's pretty low cost too. So that's really the easy fix. And that's what I did. 100% happy with that.
Tackar.
I'll visit my local stealer before going shopping (might be a warranty job?), I need to get my steering vibration (only on braking) checked up, I assume its the control arm /bushings or something similar.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You referring to this part? Depending on how bad the peeling is, you may have to sand it down a little before applying a vinyl wrap. Easy job. No need to apply additional glue unless you use 3M di-noc vinyl. Dealer will replace this piece if the car is under warranty including the upper pieces with the buttons.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You referring to this part? Depending on how bad the peeling is, you may have to sand it down a little before applying a vinyl wrap. Easy job. No need to apply additional glue unless you use 3M di-noc vinyl. Dealer will replace this piece if the car is under warranty including the upper pieces with the buttons.
Yes that was what I was referring to.

Yours looks cool, I will have a chat with the dealer as I'm on warrant.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts