BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just replaced my outer tie rods, center tie rod, and idler arm (my steering had some play and was very stiff).

Everything went smoothly, except when I tighten the bolt that secures the new idler arm to the chassis, the steering becomes super stiff and the idler arm loudly creaks as the wheels move back and forth. When I crack the bolt loose, the steering lightens up, and the creak goes away.

Should I take the idler arm out and try to determine if the inner bushing on the NEW idler arm was frozen from the factory?
Am I perhaps over-tightening the bolt?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved - I took the idler arm out of the car and pinched the inner bushing in a vice to see how freely the arm would rotate around it - the bushing was 100% frozen.

I was able to push the inner bushing out of the sleeve using a vice - it was bone dry and all gummed up with rubber and crud (evidently the bushing assembly is made up of two bronze bushings stacked on top of each other with a small section of rubber between them).

Anyway, I cleaned it, greased it, and have the inner bushing rotating normally now.

WORD OF CAUTION - if you buy a cheap idler arm or idler arm bushing assembly (I bought the cheapest assembled arm from ECS), make sure the bushing rotates smoothly before installing.

(I would NOT recommend ES#2709843)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts