BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I picked up an '08 Interlagos over Silverstone. Pretty much just what I wanted. Sitting at lights got me thinking about what's happening in the gearbox. Is the trans actually in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged, dragging the throwout bearing? The thought of that started to bug me so I began shifting in to neutral. I searched here, found a couple four-year-old threads, but it wasn't clear that anyone knew at that point. Maybe I didn't find the thread(s) where you guys got it all sussed out with certainty.

So, is it OK to shift into neutral while waiting for a light? I mean, maybe it's good for the T/O bearing, but could there be some other unintended consequence?

I plan to keep this car for a long time as I usually do with my bimmers, so I'd like to get into good habits even if they're a bit of extra effort.

Thanks for any guidance.

Dave

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Hi There! Welcome to the forums!

You don't need to shift into neutral while sitting on red lights.

The SMG does it automatically after like 10 seconds. To engage the gear again, just tao the brake to let the SMG know you are ready to go. You should feel the gear re engage.

Be ware, if you don't tap the brakes, the gear will enage quite violently.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
You do not have to put the car into neutral, but a while back there was a thread about whether people do or not and the life they got from their clutches. I noticed a bit of a trend that those who shifted to neutral at long stoplights etc. had better clutch life and fewer transmission problems.

I always shift to neutral at a light if I'm driving SMG.

afc1

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi There! Welcome to the forums!

You don't need to shift into neutral while sitting on red lights.

The SMG does it automatically after like 10 seconds. To engage the gear again, just tao the brake to let the SMG know you are ready to go. You should feel the gear re engage.

Be ware, if you don't tap the brakes, the gear will enage quite violently.

Good Luck!
Thanks, Hasan!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do not have to put the car into neutral, but a while back there was a thread about whether people do or not and the life they got from their clutches. I noticed a bit of a trend that those who shifted to neutral at long stoplights etc. had better clutch life and fewer transmission problems.

I always shift to neutral at a light if I'm driving SMG.

afc1
That's interesting, afc1. I wonder if people who are inclined to shift into neutral, whether or not it has any actual effect on longetivity, are also inclined to be more gentle on the car? Just thinking that while there's apparently a correlation, it may not be cause and effect.

I don't even bang on my E30 turbo, even though it's relatively cheap to fix should I break something. Not that I'm a granny, as I do crank that thing up and wheelspin is pretty much inevitable, I'm just gentle on the driveline. Similarly, I'd like to enjoy its in-gear acceleration, but not bang on it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car stays in gear and stresses the T/O bearing, exactly like you suspect.
Whoa, so years later, everyone still doesn't agree on what the robot actually does in there?

OK, so I guess I'll just put it in neutral if I think I'm going to be sitting there for a while (whatever the gut says). It's not like it's a major effort. It'd be like Jane Jetson complaining about how tired she is from pushing all those buttons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts