BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here and been doing tons of reading the last few weeks. I just picked up a new to me 2008 M5 6 sp manual with about 68,000 miles. I bought the car from a friend who is a serious car guy, as he needed some space in his garage for his brand new M3! I have always been a Landcruiser guy and have had lots of bimmers over the years. My favorite up to this point has been my E39 540 (6) but I am seriously digging this M5! It truly is a special car!

I've done some basic maintenance the last few weeks, including an oil change. I also just got my Blackstone report back... Seems all is ok.

I've included a crappy pic and also my option sheet below. Thanks to all for an awesome resource as I've learned LOTS this year about this beast!

Attachments

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,272 Posts
Save the Manuals!

Congrats on your new Beast. Welcome to the v10 6MT club.

There is nothing wrong with having a LandCrusier and an ///m5 in your garage.

Any mods planned?

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn you, Woody! No mods planned... Yet. I wouldn't buy a car that I can't row my own gears. Guess I'm old school that way.

I've read every blessed exhaust thread and am thinking of starting with a muffler delete. I just don't want it to be too loud as my wife already hates this car. I truly am concerned about the rod bearing issue and have that on my list for 2014.

Beyond that, I'm all ears!

Save the Manuals!

Congrats on your new Beast. Welcome to the v10 6MT club.

There is nothing wrong with having a LandCrusier and an ///m5 in your garage.

Any mods planned?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Very nice. We are a BMW and Toyota clan too....
2008 M5 = gone
2013 F10 535 = wife...
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser = me
M6 Gran Coupe coming soon.

Plan on a bearing change?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice... I love the FJ... We're loyal to the 100 (lx470).

I will address the bearings in the near future. I have one BS report that isn't concerning but more importantly, a baseline. I'll send in for another report in a few months.

I like the M6... And I have to say, my friend's new Alpine White M3 with a Carbon Fiber roof looks (and sounds) amazing!

Very nice. We are a BMW and Toyota clan too....
2008 M5 = gone
2013 F10 535 = wife...
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser = me
M6 Gran Coupe coming soon.

Plan on a bearing change?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum, great color choice.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Darn you, Woody! No mods planned... Yet. I wouldn't buy a car that I can't row my own gears. Guess I'm old school that way.

I've read every blessed exhaust thread and am thinking of starting with a muffler delete. I just don't want it to be too loud as my wife already hates this car. I truly am concerned about the rod bearing issue and have that on my list for 2014.

Beyond that, I'm all ears!
Hmmm...all ears...well then, welcome to the addiction!

SSK from a z3 (details in my signature) was my first mod. I couldn't stand the long throw of the stock rower!

You will have to drop the exhaust...so may as well get some exhaust mods at the same time!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh crap... I am also not impressed with the shifter throw (feels like I'm rowing a boat). In watching some of your vids, Woody, I did notice some pretty quick shifts and was wondering...

This car cannot be loud. As such, the Dinan appeals. I literally have read every exhaust thread... And don't have much direction. I may get rid of the mufflers this week and see how that goes.

Hmmm...all ears...well then, welcome to the addiction!

SSK from a z3 (details in my signature) was my first mod. I couldn't stand the long throw of the stock rower!

You will have to drop the exhaust...so may as well get some exhaust mods at the same time!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll also mention that I am a total stickler for running high quality, ethanol free fuel. We have a local station that sells 91 octane so I pay about $.25 more per gallon. This M5 is on it's fifth tank and couldn't be happier ;)

I also buy VP race fuel for the mix (love the Motul) for our 2T KTM's (I cut it 50/50 with the 91 octane) and am tempted to buy a non-leaded 5 gallon on the next round just to see how it would make the V10 come to life.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Oh crap... I am also not impressed with the shifter throw (feels like I'm rowing a boat). In watching some of your vids, Woody, I did notice some pretty quick shifts and was wondering...

This car cannot be loud. As such, the Dinan appeals. I literally have read every exhaust thread... And don't have much direction. I may get rid of the mufflers this week and see how that goes.
Not too loud...When I was only Dinan Section 3. Stock headers, stock section 1 (2ndry cats), stock section 2 (h/x-pipe resonator)
Dinan Exhaust e60 m5 Section 3 - YouTube

A little bit louder...When I was Dinan 1, 2, and 3. Stock headers, 2ndry cat delete, with 3.5" resonator in the Dinan Section 2.
https://vimeo.com/m/49804677

Dinan is the mildest of the bunch. Buying used from a member is the best value.

I, too, have to keep it quiet, living in a tourist town at the Beach -- CHP and HBPD is everywhere. Now I have headers, but it's still pretty quiet if I stay under 3000. Heck, I got pulled over the other day leaving the airport. The Sheriff let me go without even commenting on my exhaust or no front plate. (Got pulled over for a "new" no turn on red sign, they installed while I was away.)

Link to my current set up is in my signature.

I'm shifting pretty mild in most of the videos, so I'm not beating on my clutch.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Congrats! You should probably stay away from myself and Woody. Quite a few fellow m5board members hate us because of our reviews being so accurate and good that they end up opening their wallets to purchase the same mods we reviewed (i.e. RDSport sway bars being the biggest hype recently). :biggrinbounce:

Although I've never tried the SSK on an E60 M5, I did drive my friend's E92 M3 which had the SSK and it's wonderful. Makes shifting almost effortless.

As for exhaust...it's all subjective. I know pnguyen and cleoent have the muffler delete and their cars are louder than mine (I only have the Dinan section 3). The Dinan section 3, IMO (and Woody seems to agree with me with his above post), is one of the more conservative exhausts, but adds maybe 30% more sound compared to stock? And as Woody mentioned, if you want more volume than section 3 and want to get a full exhaust, Dinan has different resonator options for you to choose from.

There's also the Evolve Valvetronic exhaust which will allow you to adjust the tone/volume a bit of your exhaust.

Again, congrats and welcome to the S85 club!

Reactions: Hotsauce

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Woody... The Dinan sounds like the best option up to this point. I like the idea of the exhaust only having noise when I get on it (higher RPM's)... Also why I love to row gears ;)

I enjoyed watching your track session on YouTube... Looked like a blast!

Not too loud...When I was only Dinan Section 3. Stock headers, stock section 1 (2ndry cats), stock section 2 (h/x-pipe resonator)
Dinan Exhaust e60 m5 Section 3 - YouTube

A little bit louder...When I was Dinan 1, 2, and 3. Stock headers, 2ndry cat delete, with 3.5" resonator in the Dinan Section 2.
https://vimeo.com/m/49804677

Dinan is the mildest of the bunch. Buying used from a member is the best value.

I, too, have to keep it quiet, living in a tourist town at the Beach -- CHP and HBPD is everywhere. Now I have headers, but it's still pretty quiet if I stay under 3000. Heck, I got pulled over the other day leaving the airport. The Sheriff let me go without even commenting on my exhaust or no front plate. (Got pulled over for a "new" no turn on red sign, they installed while I was away.)

Link to my current set up is in my signature.

I'm shifting pretty mild in most of the videos, so I'm not beating on my clutch.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks, Woody... The Dinan sounds like the best option up to this point. I like the idea of the exhaust only having noise when I get on it (higher RPM's)... Also why I love to row gears ;)

I enjoyed watching your track session on YouTube... Looked like a blast!

I suggest you start with just Dinan section 3 first. Then if you want more, you can upgrade your stock section 1 and 2 to the Dinan ones and pick an appropriate resonator.

You're not saving money buying them together or separate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here are some exhaust videos Gian (Gcal08) and I made (note they're at WOT for 1st and 2nd gears).

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/381634-some-exhaust-videos-tonight.html

In these videos, Gian only has the section 3 Evolve Valvetronic exhaust (he is getting the Supersprint X-Pipe installed soon to complete the Evolve exhaust setup). So stock headers, stock section 1 & 2, and Evolve section 3.

For my setup, it's Evolve Race-R headers, stock section 1 & 2, and Dinan section 3.

Hope this helps.

-Randy

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Here are some exhaust videos Gian (Gcal08) and I made (note they're at WOT for 1st and 2nd gears).

In these videos, Gian only has the section 3 Evolve Valvetronic exhaust (he is getting the Supersprint X-Pipe installed soon to complete the Evolve exhaust setup). So stock headers, stock section 1 & 2, and Evolve section 3.

For my setup, it's Evolve Race-R headers, stock section 1 & 2, and Dinan section 3.

Hope this helps.

-Randy
Ah...you're missing the video links...
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts