BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long time BMW owner - having owned a couple E28s, an E30 and still have an E32-740 and another E28-533. Long time member of other forums, with Bimmerforums being my second home, with same user name. I currently daily a 08 Porsche Cayenne GTS that I am thinking about selling. It has 173k on it, and I am worried about the prospect of piston slap, which is an issue. I recently had symptoms of it, and low compression in one hole, which may or may not turn into something worse.

I have been looking into E60 M5s. I have read all I have been able to on the bearings and the VANOS, and other problems. I would say I am a very experienced DIYer, so these repairs don't intimidate me, other than just adding another project to the lengthy list.

Other than doing a bunch of online searches, I am not sure of the nuances of pricing for these. For instance, here is one listed at $28,000 with the bearings already done.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=495419957&zip=46077&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=46077&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=30000&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=on&modelCodeList=M5&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=500&transmissionCodes=MAN&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=M5&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=500&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M5&clickType=listing
(I have to admit, I love the color combination)

Is that one worth $10k more than this one (which looks to be a board member)
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=510791550&zip=46077&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=46077&sortBy=relevance&maxPrice=30000&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=on&modelCodeList=M5&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=500&transmissionCodes=MAN&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=M5&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=500&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=M5&clickType=listing

Or one in the middle
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/cumming-2009-bmw-m5-6-speed-manual/6874100657.html

Thank you for all of your input

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My personal preference is for an SMG car so... With that said, I'd go with the 09 just because it has the newer cic controller. Means you have the right factory trim for when you update to a full cic. The 06 I'd pass just cause it's pre-LCI. And assuming you enjoy DIYing (as I do) then bearings, TA, IA, vanos, etc. is just part of enjoying this car.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
My opinion...I’d buy the one with a known history and current on maintenance.

“Buy” the owner first, then buy the car. With that said, the choice should be clear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd go with the first one......besides mine (and now the one you just posted), I've only seen one other 6sp manual M5 with red interior. Plus you have the peace of mind knowing that it's up to date on maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My opinion...I’d buy the one with a known history and current on maintenance.

“Buy” the owner first, then buy the car. With that said, the choice should be clear.

Color me daft, but, are you suggesting the first one with the bearings and other maintenance done, or the car being sold by the forum member with its list of maintenance.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Color me daft, but, are you suggesting the first one with the bearings and other maintenance done, or the car being sold by the forum member with its list of maintenance.
I think @CHARIOT car below is the deal, with a documented history on the board.

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/cars-sale-wanted/602608-2007-m5-6-speed-manual-113k-miles-sapphire-black.html

The other, more expensive one, also looks like it has full history as well.

I would interview both of them as part of your due diligence and get a PPI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What premium for a car with bearings already done? Is that considered a maintenance item, so ads no value, or because it is a one time thing, it adds value if done. Does the color combo of grey/red add value in general?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’d say recent bearings are a plus. They are a recurring maintenance item, not a “one time thing” - they need to be done every 60K - 75K miles at a cost of, what, maybe $2K - $4K? I’d multiply the value of that service by a fraction of the mileage since service over the service period, and then subtract a little more because reasons. I probably wouldn’t buy a car with a red interior, but that’s just personal preference. The manual transmission is much rarer and generally considered more desirable by people who fear technology (and getting stranded or stuck in limp mode). YMMV.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wanted a low mileage 6MT so I was willing to pay more get one, knowing that once I put some real mileage on it then it won’t be worth nearly what I paid. I also purchased a car from a forum member and it had all the history, both of which were important factors as well.

BTW, mine is the same color combo as the first car, it’s one of the things that sold me on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Option 3 (middle): below is the better value overall. This you can negotiate down to a reasonable 19K-21K. This price is reasonable whether the rod-bearings have been done or not.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...874100657.html

Option 2: given the two other options available, I would take this off the list pronto... if you want a 6 speed manual, consider a unit that came from the BMW factory as a manual, MHO...

Option 1: too overpriced -- doesn't matter that the RB were done already. $21K max -- also, the interior looks a bit worn, which is likely an indicator of how well the automobile has been maintained overall.

My story: I searched a while before I settled on a 2007 Black / Black 6 speed manual for 19K with 107K miles 10 months back. The service records were sparse (..at best), so I didn't know if the rod-bearings had been done or not, but the automobile inside and out was pristine, which is typically a good sign that the person(s) that owned the M5 before could indeed afford to maintain it properly. The Blackstone oil analysis came back very clean...

However, at the end of the day, it's a used automobile regardless -- so be prepared to perform some initial maintenance -- but, don't overpay out of the gate -- because service records are no guarantee against component failure -- something will require maintenance, you can count on it -- it's over a decade old. A warranty on the other hand would be worth the additional cost consideration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts