BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last thursday, car refuses to start after going to lunch. Catches weakly at first, then dies. Further attempts to start result in no firing. Immediately seems like a fueling issue. Check the fuse in the glovebox, the 25a fuse in the trunk panel - both good. Eff. Have the car towed home and first pull the codes. There's a ton - everything from a tank leak code to misfires to fuel pump relay and a couple of nonsense codes tossed in there for good measure. Car had been running code-free for a long time before that so something is definitely up. Cut open the access panel under the rear seat. Applying 12v directly to the pump shows no life. Furthermore, resistance between the two main terminals of the pump is infinite, indicating a dead pump(normally should be 4 ohms or so). So I order a new pump from tischer and a new EKP module for good measure(30$, who knows if my original is good or not). Follow the good DIYs on this site and replaced the pump last night, popped the EKP module in the trunk. VROOOMM! We have life!!

Car has 103k. Fuel filter was a year old, but who knows when it was replaced before that, if ever. Fun fact: the replacement pump is not built by Pierburg - it says TI Automotive - Spain on it, or something along those lines. Wonder if they switched suppliers for some reason.

Apart from the initial shock of a pump costing >300$(I"m used to 90$ VDO pumps in older audis), the job is fairly simple. Everything detailed in the DIYs is true - the floater mechanism needs to be properly inserted, etc. Otherwise, access is great and I'm really glad they put it under the rear seat.

Anyway, car is happy and running great again. Figured I'd share. Happy motoring!!:cheers:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Had you noticed anything weird before it croaked?

I know these things can fail at random times but had you noticed anything that would have pointed to the pump starting to let go? I replaced the filter at 55k miles just as a precaution, but was pretty full of gunk.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no signs whatsoever. No hard starting, no stumbling, nothing. Seems like a random failure.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just read the DIY and printed it out myself in anticipation of doing this. Car has 105k and as far as I know the ff has never been changed (will be doing that in two days). Took off the rear bench to see the spot where the pump is located. Looks straight forward. $300 for the pump? This is kind of steep but the Bosch fp for my 86 Jag was $200 so I guess that is the price of doing business.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice work, Noggin!

You got the pump from Tischer so the price was probably pretty decent. I can't remember where I got mine but IIRC it was in the upper $200's. Sneal, you could use the Greasemonkey script on here for RealOEM and double check some pricing at a few different sites.

good luck,
Sean Paul

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, tischer has it for $346 currently. DDM has it for $302 but I needed it this week and have never ordered anything for them. Also not sure if JD has set up shop there yet or not. After perusing around, Tischer was the second cheapest and they are local so I just went and picked it up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just found out mine failed. The car died in bumper-to-bumper traffic while I was in the fast lane on the freeway. Had to get the car towed to my Indy and just found out it's my pump. I have 88K miles. Totally random event as the car was running so well.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Do you run your fuel tank low? In my experience, I find people who run their fuel tanks to empty have fuel pump issues more than people who dont. I look for a gas station at a 1/4 tank. Remember the fuel cools the pump, so when you run low, the pump is succeptible to higher temperatures/wear.

Ive only owned mine for just over 2 years, I think i may replace it for good measure anyhow. One less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sometimes i run it low but rarely. The pump is at the very bottom of the tank so unless you're running on fumes, I don't see it making a huge difference. But who knows. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts