BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove home Wednesday night as normal and parked up. Thursday morning, she wouldn't start, engine turned with lots of energy but no ignition. Diagnosed by indie as fuel pump failure (134k miles).

Replaced fuel pump and filter (date on filter 1999!!!), loads of crap in filter and clearly overdue for swap.

Interesting thing is, before doing this work, my consumption was 21.9mpg (UK gallons). It is now showing as 28.1mpg!

Can this be correct?

:confused2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny you should say this, I replaced my MAFS at the weekend and my fuel consumption went from 19 - 20 mpg to almost 30 mpg. I must admit the most recent journeys have had me ranging from 50 to 80 mph straight motorway driving. I think I have to put this down to me driving more carefully!!! Anyone else had mpg this high?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
You guys in Europe get a different reading than us here in the states. In fact, many of us have european reading (us gallon is different than a gallon there) and when they fix it back to US spec, it shows as lower.

As for me, I score 26mpgs on the highway. My MAFs are clean. Spark plugs and fuel filter will be changed within the next 2 months as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on mpg.

After driving maybe 150 miles since posting, the mpg has returned step by step to what it was before.

I guess the engine management system has been playing catch-up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Drove home Wednesday night as normal and parked up. Thursday morning, she wouldn't start, engine turned with lots of energy but no ignition. Diagnosed by indie as fuel pump failure (134k miles).

Replaced fuel pump and filter (date on filter 1999!!!), loads of crap in filter and clearly overdue for swap.

Interesting thing is, before doing this work, my consumption was 21.9mpg (UK gallons). It is now showing as 28.1mpg!

Can this be correct?

:confused2
How difficult was the fuel filter to replace ?
and where is it located ?
:cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
How difficult was the fuel filter to replace ?
and where is it located ?
:cheers:
Under the driver side ( LHD ) or the pass. side ( RHD ).....take off the plastic tray and you'll see some fuel line and a silver TUBE thing ( Fuel filter )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Still showing 28 mpg and I've even been doing some town driving as well as some lead foot manouvres, can clean MAFS really be this good?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Quick tip

If you're having trouble pushing in the plastic locks on the fuel lines, use a panel removing tool to fully compress the fitting and it makes it really easy.

This is the same tool I used to remove the pop rivits on the plastic cover under the car.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts