BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't pick a direction to go. . .and I am looking for thoughts/ideas to cure my analysis paralysis (although this request may push me deeper into the abyss):dunno:

Fire away!

·
Company Representative for Jlevi StreetWerks
1,005 Posts
Depends on what you find lacking on the car. If you do lower the car on factory wheels, I'd suggest using spacers to push the factory wheels out a bit more. Suspension is typically the first place to start with the car, then you can move on to more aggressive modes to go along with the lowered stance.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Body modifications look 100x better once you lower it, so go springs/coilovers first.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is buttoned up for the winter but I'm sitting on newly refinished 9.5's for the front, 3mm spacers for front 10mm for the rear, and Slimm's lower grill to put on. No problem with sitting on them until I get my stance straightened out. .

Question. . .no tracking of the car will occur. . .moderate flogging may transpire - will just springs suffice for the drop (say a medium rate H&R)? I'm am not a talking a crazy drop. . .maybe .5 rear and ~.75-1 inch front? My last coilover set was a TC Kline setup on my e36 M3 and it seemed like overkill to me although the adjustability was nice to have (even though it was hardly used).

I might be tempted to do it all (lip/diffuser/stance) if it were just springs and not a full blown PSS9. . . .errrgh

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Question. . .no tracking of the car will occur. . .moderate flogging may transpire - will just springs suffice for the drop (say a medium rate H&R)? I'm am not a talking a crazy drop. . .maybe .5 rear and ~.75-1 inch front? My last coilover set was a TC Kline setup on my e36 M3 and it seemed like overkill to me although the adjustability was nice to have (even though it was hardly used).

I might be tempted to do it all (lip/diffuser/stance) if it were just springs and not a full blown PSS9. . . .errrgh
H&R only makes front springs for our cars, so I'd recommend against it unless you like how the rear sits and just want to drop the front. B&G makes springs that drops the E39 M5 pretty nicely. If you're going to spend money on springs + shocks, I may suggest looking into BC Racing Coilovers also. It may be 'overkill' in terms of what you'd be using it for, for the money, it'll drop it exactly how you want it.

A lot of people say they want a 0.5" drop, but once they get it, they wish it would have dropped a tad lower. Good luck ;)

Reactions: mkaehly

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I agree with John. For the cost of springs+dampers+new OEM hardware, BC coilovers are an amazing value. They come with camber plates for the fronts and will allow you to set the ride height the way you want it. I'm torn between BC or Bilstein PSS, but BC is definitely more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I am going with the BC set up Mike. I currently have the B&G springs. I want a little more adjustment than what I currently have. I'm in the same boat, no track time, but spirited driving.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going with the BC set up Mike. I currently have the B&G springs. I want a little more adjustment than what I currently have. I'm in the same boat, no track time, but spirited driving.
When are you planning the install Tim?. . .might be time for a road trip. . .

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
When are you planning the install Tim?. . .might be time for a road trip. . .
As soon as I can afford to buy them, LOL. We can install yours at the same time if you want.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As soon as I can afford to buy them, LOL. We can install yours at the same time if you want.
urghh. . . .If we can get a week without salt and snow and shatty weather its possible. . .i cant take her out of the garage :)

Do you have an alignment place you trust over there? I don't know if I want to make the trek back to the burgh without an alignment after install.

Speaking of install. . .I have read that there are no other OEM parts to replace on the BC setup (unlike the PSS9's) can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
urghh. . . .If we can get a week without salt and snow and shatty weather its possible. . .i cant take her out of the garage :)

Do you have an alignment place you trust over there? I don't know if I want to make the trek back to the burgh without an alignment after install.

Speaking of install. . .I have read that there are no other OEM parts to replace on the BC setup (unlike the PSS9's) can anyone confirm?
I won't be able to purchase mine for a while yet anyway. I have to have them installed by April 1st for our trip to Atlanta though......

The BC set comes with everything you need to install. Straight swap.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Atlanta???

lemme know. . .I should be able to pick the kit up about anytime. . .should we get a break in the weather maybe we can have a little practice on mine before you do ur's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts