BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my rotors are in need to be replaced. The BMW dealership quoted me $1,200.00 for the OEM rotors, OEM pads, and labor. Since I was not happy with the price and the idea of staying OEM, I sourced other parts. (Saving as much $$$ as possible due to closing on a home soon)

I went to Turner Motorsports for Euro floating rotors. These are BMW made, direct bolton's for the M5. They even have a BMW part # on the page.
$557.90

Then to Zeckhausen for Axxis Deluxe Plus pads.
$74.00

I could do the work myself, but since I'm short on time, I'll be dropping the car off at Autoscope, for the install.
$200.00

The total for the brake job is 831.90 + 15.86 for shipping.
If you do the brake job yourself, it'll be ~$200.00 cheaper.

Hope this helps any people who might need the same thing in the future.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Very cool. I need to remember this when it comes time to replace mine. I am interested to hear if you have any difference in braking between the two systems. Will these pads cut down on the dust?

Mark

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Direct quote from Zeckhausen's site...

Axxis High-Performance Brake Pads

If you want better brake pads for the street, look no further than Axxis. Axxis pads are manufactured by Bendix Mintex in Australia. Formerly marketed under the brand names PBR and Repco, they are now sold in the United States under the Axxis name.

Deluxe Plus pads are perfect if you are looking for an extremely low dust pad that is also very quiet and rotor friendly, yet has the grip and fade resistance required for performance cars. These organic pads continue to work well at temperatures up to 716 °F, similar to OEM pads. The only thing you give up is the dust! So stop washing brake dust off your wheels every few days without giving up any braking performance!

·
Registered
530 Posts
MPressed said:

If you want better brake pads for the street, look no further than Axxis. Axxis pads are manufactured by Bendix Mintex in Australia. Formerly marketed under the brand names PBR and Repco, they are now sold in the United States under the Axxis name.

Deluxe Plus pads are perfect if you are looking for an extremely low dust pad that is also very quiet and rotor friendly, yet has the grip and fade resistance required for performance cars. These organic pads continue to work well at temperatures up to 716 °F, similar to OEM pads. The only thing you give up is the dust! So stop washing brake dust off your wheels every few days without giving up any braking performance!
If Dave says it, you know it's been checked. Good tale of how some initiative will get you even better brakes than OEM.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
MPressed said:

Works for me!

Thanks,

Mark

We will have to get a Texas M5 meet together in the near future. Perhaps meet in the Hill Country.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
that setup will go past the stock setup a decent amount using the floating rotors...also the Axxis pads are much less dusting when used in a similar fashion to those of the oem pads.. Meaning you cant drive like an idiot and expect no dust, and then drive nice and mellow on the oem ones.

Im picking up the car on tuesday of this week and ill be back in TX the saturday to follow...meet? Where?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
MAH said:
We will have to get a Texas M5 meet together in the near future. Perhaps meet in the Hill Country.
On-posted-topic: I use the Axxis Deluxe Plus for the street, and they do MUCH better than OE for dust; quite comparable for braking performance.

Off-posted-topic: Hey guys, I'm in the Hill Country these days! Lemme know when and where!! Pick me! Pick me!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Looks like a great low cost solution....might just have to look into that as I'm all into 'bang for your buck'.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone know what the benefit is of the floating rotors? I've always known that they are one of the differences between US spec and Euro spec cars but never known what difference they make nor why they weren't brought here.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
bwstein said:
Does anyone know what the benefit is of the floating rotors? I've always known that they are one of the differences between US spec and Euro spec cars but never known what difference they make nor why they weren't brought here.

Thanks
Ben
Better heat dissapation for hard driving, and since the hat and rotor are different materials (each expands from heat independently), there is less chance of warping the rotors.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Winnner Winner....chicken dinner. Jerry wins the prize.
Does that mean I get a ride in the (insert your own number here) horsepower uber beast? :noSMG:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
hudson said:
Are the OEM rotors floating?

Joe
Not in U.S. Something about too many lawyers...... :1:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
hudson said:
LOL
Thanks Jerry. It's nice to see you can laugh at your profession.

Joe
Joe
One has to keep a sense of humor and perspective, even when not on this board!! lovelove
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
When i was in FL, you couldnt throw a rock without hitt'n one of dem sums a betches...ha ha

As for the euro rotors...not only is there some issues on legality, but also because they cool down faster than our US solid disks, they run the risk of having lower braking quality when its colder or wet out and the disks are not free of water...you get less braking effectivness.

Also due to the heat dissapation issue, they also are more prone to squeel i believe.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
When i was in FL, you couldnt throw a rock without hitt'n one of dem sums a betches...ha ha
Good thing you got out while the gettin' was good! :hihi:

As for the euro rotors...not only is there some issues on legality, but also because they cool down faster than our US solid disks, they run the risk of having lower braking quality when its colder or wet out and the disks are not free of water...you get less braking effectivness.
I didn't realize stock rotors were not vented. Not much of a problem since I am running the front only ST BBK from Dave Z.! And at $800-$1000 for a front brake job, the 2x price of the kit seems pretty reasonable, at least to me. :thumbsup:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts