BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Without sounding like an idiot, I am in the process of reading everything I can about the M5 that I am yet to buy (embarrasing being here and no M5). Lots and lots to read, especially on the TLC of these machines which is fine with me.

Now the question I couldnt find an answer to was about the availability of the M5 in Oz. How difficult are they to find, and generally what condition do you find these at given the age? I am patient and want to do my homework before committing, given that it may take many months to even find one... hence the question.

If there are any Tassie (Hobart) members here who own an M5, I would love to see one in the flesh if possible and talk all thinks pros/cons about them.

Cheers,

EDIT: I also like indications on expense/maintenance for these compared to say the 540i...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I only know of three in Hobart, come along to the November 3 Baskerville trackday and one might be there.

Basically they are hard on clutches, fuel and the oil pipe in the pickup on the front of the motor can perish causing the vanos to fail.

Other than that they are pretty good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bite the bullet and buy 1
I bought mine site unseen out of Melbourne and shipped to perth.
Depends what you want in a car, really can't go wrong as 99% of owners are going to have regular service. Make sure seller has full history available and get the 100 point check done at a registered BMW dealer. If there is any issues they will pick it up.
You only live once!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The for your replies. I have been reading more on these and understand both pros and con's. I'll be looking around slowly and see what's the go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to ask... but what prices are we looking at for an M%, from low to high within a reasonable range. Or what would be a reasonable price to pay for one that has been looked after but may have over 150k ks on the clock? Just want to have something in mind so I know what to expect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Carsales would be the best guide and then compare it to Redbook, which is normally way under priced. Your values will be in between.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased a used E60 M5 In December 2012.
I looked at a few and the prices ranges from $130K to $70K.
Typically the more expensive ones have very few kms on the clock. (less than 30,000)

I acquired mine for $74K from BMW with a 12 month BMW approved used Warranty. It had 74K kms on the clock.
The challenge is that the warranty doesn't cover anything you need !
so far I have replaced :
2 front tyres
clutch, flywheel and clutch release bearing
front and rear pads and front rotors.
New NAV DVD

These items are not cheap. I have used BMW for some, but have now found a good mechanic (ex BMW) who is a LOT cheaper, and still uses genuine parts.

Having said all that I ma extremely happy with my beast. I grin like an idiot every time I start it up.:1:

I agree with Amricho. Just bite the bullet and buy, but check the tyres, brake rotors and clutch condition first and I would do the BMW 100 point check thing too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looking for 540i now

Well its been a while since my last post, not that I havent lost interest but been extremely busy. Anyway, I am now looking at the e39 504i to go with instead of the M5. Yes I know its not an M5, but its the closest I can get to for the moment.

I have been looking at one, however is there any hints on what to look out for when doing the inspecting, aside from test driving it, checking the auto trans ****ing and reverse? Im not in a rush (as you can see) so im wanting to get something that has been looked after of course.

Also, reliability on these, your thoughts? Plan to use it as a daily...

Cheers,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I am one step closer to owning a 540i e39... been reading/youtubing lots on these models and seems that the DIY work is not too bad (been doing DIY for years).

If it all goes ahead, ill post up some pics ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts