BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi. I've been a member on here for a while mainly just searching and doing a ton of research, I think this might be my first post. I've had an E55 Merc since 2007 and finally pulled the trigger on the M5. Man I can't believe I waited this long. This car is absolutely amazing and thanks to all you jerks on here I already have thousands of dollars in mods planned. j/K but in all seriousness thank you. You guys are such a valuable resource to have and if it wasn't for all the info you provided I wouldn't be driving this beautiful beast today.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I already have rpi scoops, filters and plates and charcoal filter delete. Also the car already has some exterior mods. Next up is RPI GTS exhaust, pulley, tune, springs and wheels. Also have little things already ordered like sprint booster, upgraded bulbs and angel eyes

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks. I already have rpi scoops, filters and plates and charcoal filter delete. Also the car already has some exterior mods. Next up is RPI GTS exhaust, pulley, tune, springs and wheels. Also have little things already ordered like sprint booster, upgraded bulbs and angel eyes
Very nice! Just send back the block off plates since they sap power by allowing less air to flow to the intake. They you're good to go. :cool:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sharp M5!! Curious what are your likes and dislikes of the car versus the E55. There are many guys that prefer the E55 to the M5.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Looks like you're not too far away from me, I live in Kittery. If you're out this way, let me know. There are a few E60s rolling around here, but not very active on the forum.

Welcome to the club. How long have you had the car? There was an AW E60 behind me through a traffic circle a week or two ago...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

Congrats on a great car. Even stock, the M5 is great to drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys it's great to finally be part of the dark side. I'm going to hold off on the performance mods until after the warranty inspection but I already ordered a bunch of cosmetic things.

I loved the E55's when they first came out but they were far beyond my means at the time. I started a business in 02 and bought my E55 in 2008, the car was an 04. The car was great and had a ton of low end grunt and I didn't really have any plans to get rid of it, until I drove an M5. WOW was my first impression! The car wasn't necessarily faster than the E but it was totally different power. More than that was just how much fun it was to drive. After driving the M5 around getting back in the E felt like driving a Camry, with a ton of torque, but not as inspiring as the M. The high redline, the scream of the V10, even the SMG was a lot more fun than the slush box benz. Don't get me wrong I have nothing but respect for AMG and the car was bullet proof, I never had any problems with the car and it was driven pretty hard, but it never excited me like this car does.

JColley I'm in WIndham, NH not far from Kittery at all. I've seen some of your posts on here. Are you a tuner or repair shop or just someone who knows his stuff? I need a good Indy for regular service. I just got the car last week.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks guys it's great to finally be part of the dark side. I'm going to hold off on the performance mods until after the warranty inspection but I already ordered a bunch of cosmetic things.

I loved the E55's when they first came out but they were far beyond my means at the time. I started a business in 02 and bought my E55 in 2008, the car was an 04. The car was great and had a ton of low end grunt and I didn't really have any plans to get rid of it, until I drove an M5. WOW was my first impression! The car wasn't necessarily faster than the E but it was totally different power. More than that was just how much fun it was to drive. After driving the M5 around getting back in the E felt like driving a Camry, with a ton of torque, but not as inspiring as the M. The high redline, the scream of the V10, even the SMG was a lot more fun than the slush box benz. Don't get me wrong I have nothing but respect for AMG and the car was bullet proof, I never had any problems with the car and it was driven pretty hard, but it never excited me like this car does.

JColley I'm in WIndham, NH not far from Kittery at all. I've seen some of your posts on here. Are you a tuner or repair shop or just someone who knows his stuff? I need a good Indy for regular service. I just got the car last week.
Welcome, thanks for posting the pic of your new ride, and looks like you have a super-clean M5! (...and what the heck is that white stuff on the ground all around the car?!?! :grinyes:)

Love the E55/Camry comparison! hiha The V10 screams when you want it to, but it can be civilized as well. The first time I drove the M5 I was hooked. I'm fortunate enough to have my M5 as a daily driver, mostly stock, and the car gets lots of attention and offers to street race (which most of the time I respectfully decline).

Again, welcome to the board (now that you're official). Lastly, and as an aside, jcolley (and most of the moderators here) really know their stuff - I listen when they chime in.

Please keep us all updated on the progress of your modding, etc. (and hopefully the snow melts soon for your folks up there in the northeast).

Best,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tune and repair...just not on cars, but submarines. I just have a very unhealthy obsession with this car...

However, if anything comes up, bring it over. It's always good to go to a shop already knowing what's wrong. It's really a fun car to work on too.

-Jim

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That sounds pretty cool. Do you get to drive them too? I always wanted to come crashing through the surface flying out of the ocean in one. Probably looks cooler than it feels. Hopefully I don't have any issues with the car but I might take you up on the offer if I do. I can think of a lot of worse things to obsess over too by the way.

AWOL: Luckily the snow is melting away, the roads are fine but there's still a lot in my courtyard. The E55/Camry comment was probably a little harsh. I did love the car but it just got to be mundane driving around. I heard the newer ones were better and more of a drivers car than the older ones, mine was over 10 years old, but I wanted a change so I never drove one.

I agree that JColley and the other moderators know their cars. I actually have a few questions about some mods I believe the last owner did but I'm not positive. I could start a new thread and some ?'s require pics. One thing is does the car have to be coded to fold the mirrors in with comfort access? My car does it so did he have it coded and is there a way for me to tell what else was done?

Thanks again guys,
Scott

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Welcome to the board. Congrats on a great purchase and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Welcome to the club! Enjoy your new toy!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts