BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A tip for taller drivers: There is a black clip in the rear of the front seat seat-track that can easily be popped out with a screwdriver and adds a bit over an inch of rearward travel. At 6'5", that is the first thing I have done to all six E39 cars I have owned.
I saw this and wondered if I could just take the clip off! What is its purpose? The passenger seat goes back further, but I didn't inspect it to see if it had one too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think the clip is a lawyer thing so you do not squish people's legs seated behind you. Pop it out and enjoy your tall self with glorious legroom to spare.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm calling the cops!!! You STOLE this thing!

Well done sir! Well done.

Beautiful car!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok, got the new wheels from another forum member and had them installed today. I have some OEM center caps arriving tomorrow and still plan to eventually refinish the wheels in shadowline, but for now I’d say it is a big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Much better and the center caps you have coming will help as well as the small M emblem. Good job.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Congrats and welcome! I'm firmly in the "keep it and drive it" camp, especially if you really aren't gonna drive it much beyond 4k miles/year. I feel that trying to keep it pristine in hopes of a future flip robs of you of the pure enjoyment that comes about when driving the car, particularly along the scenic roads in your area. I bought mine in Seattle and drove it down to LA, and now that the car is significantly nicer than when I bought it, I'm looking forward to doing another road trip up north.

Anyway, all that aside, the Grom unit works well and keeps an OEM look. I installed the mic in the designated spot in the ceiling console and call quality is fine for the occasional conversation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with Kiznarsh. Keep the car nice and drive it often. I happen to have one foot in each camp with my M5. I absolutely love driving it, maybe more than any other car I have ever owned. But with 45k miles and two other local owners, I am a bit protective of it. It is a rare color (anthracite) and has the full black leather interior. Everything is really nice, with no corrosion issues you get in the rest of the country. So my plan is to drive it less than 5k miles per year, and I get a great insurance rate if I do that. That said, I start to look around at other E39 540/6 speeds and M5 cars for sale and think that I would like to get an M5 as a daily driver because I love driving it. I could end up with a garage queen AND a DD M5. Kind of dumb, but at almost 68 years old, it is time to enjoy performance cars while I am still fairly capable.
Enjoy every drive in your M5!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice find! I recommend DD. I have a 2000 TiAg and DD. It keeps the oil where it belongs, like in the hydraulic lifters etc. if you let it sit too long it sounds absolutely awful on starting. My car has 221,000 miles on it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts