BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, excited that after months of lurking on the forum, I'm now officially a new M5 owner!

Just picked up a beautiful 2002 Carbon Black M5 yesterday and drove it 6 hours to my home in the Bay area.

The car itself if in pretty good shape. It is completely stock, with the exception of after market AC Schnitzer 19" wheels, which I'm planning to replace with OEM wheels in the nearish future.

The good: Super low miles, clean body, suspension, etc. Only two owners, and the last owner has owned it since 2004.

The issues: Some seepage from valve covers, both front seats twisted, one rear seatbelt latch needs replacement or repair, ready for a new cabin air filter, body touchups, leaking rearview mirror, and whatever I have yet to discover :wink

My first priority is fixing the seats, which I've seen some good tutorials for online. I'd also like to find a noninvasive way to add bluetooth to the stereo.

Looking forward to starting the journey of owning this fine machine!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The paint is pretty good, a few touch up spots, but nothing major.

Happy to share, wasn't sure if it was kosher on the forum as a new member, but picked it up for $14k.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only 49k, so just a baby overall, and no accidents or damage in its history. I got lucky, my search lasted months and I was pretty obsessive about combing through all the listings. This car was only listed for sale on one website, so not the easiest to find for the casual browser.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Only 49k, so just a baby overall, and no accidents or damage in its history. I got lucky, my search lasted months and I was pretty obsessive about combing through all the listings. This car was only listed for sale on one website, so not the easiest to find for the casual browser.
Very nice steal! What website did you find it on if I might ask? (I'm helping my brother on his search presently for an E46 M3).

Also do you have any more photos? Where was the car originally located? D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
classiccars.com was where I found it, but I was cruising everything.

Also of note, in my search I also turned up a good deal on an E36 M3, which I know is much different than the E46, but worth mentioning jic.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured that it was at lease $25K based on auction prices, but for me the purchase was more about getting to know a car that I can enjoy for a long time without breaking the bank.

I will say, the car is in very good condition, but it isn't perfect in the interior. The owner had the car for over 15 years and had two kids that he would drive around in the car through the life of the vehicle.

I'll post more pics for sure once I have a chance to take them! Just picked up the car yesterday so waiting for the weekend to get deep into checking everything out in detail.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi,

Excellent find and a total bargain for US E39 M5's with such low mileage !

Those ACS wheels don't suit the E39 shape at all, but do look better on later BMW's so an owner of one who's looking for them would be interested in buying them so you can put on the stock style 65's with the money you get back. I'd personally not do style 65's as I don't like them at all and go for another set of aftermarket wheels which do suit much better, so perhaps keep that as an option ?!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congrats on a screaming deal. I thought I got a decent deal on my M5. I just picked up my 2000 M5 several months ago, and it is a fairly pristine two local owner example with 45k miles. I paid $22k, and with fixing all the items in the PPI, sales tax, registration, etc. I am now in $25k. At first, I was not sure it was worth the extra money over my previous 540/6 speed, but I just love driving this car. Just a different car than the 540, much more so than I expected.

Enjoy your new car! Spend some of the money you saved on the fixes and smile every time you take it for a drive. Truly one of the best cars ever made. Expensive to own, but worth every penny. The fact that they seem to be gaining in value does not hurt either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I figured that it was at lease $25K based on auction prices, but for me the purchase was more about getting to know a car that I can enjoy for a long time without breaking the bank.

I will say, the car is in very good condition, but it isn't perfect in the interior. The owner had the car for over 15 years and had two kids that he would drive around in the car through the life of the vehicle.

I'll post more pics for sure once I have a chance to take them! Just picked up the car yesterday so waiting for the weekend to get deep into checking everything out in detail.
That's a mind blowing deal. Congrats for beating EAG to it. Please do post more detailed pics and keep us updated on what you find. Are you planning to daily this car?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi,

Excellent find and a total bargain for US E39 M5's with such low mileage !

Those ACS wheels don't suit the E39 shape at all, but do look better on later BMW's so an owner of one who's looking for them would be interested in buying them so you can put on the stock style 65's with the money you get back. I'd personally not do style 65's as I don't like them at all and go for another set of aftermarket wheels which do suit much better, so perhaps keep that as an option ?!

Cheers, Dennis!
Cool! I’m sorting out some of the other issues before I get to the wheels, but would be happy to sell them to you so I can get a more appropriate set. I agree that they are very nice wheels, but just not flattering to the E39 M5. Good tip at aftermarket options as well, I am looking at some BBS sets but welcome any suggestions, as there is a lot to sort through.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts