BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have just purchased a really nice E39 M5 in Le Mans Blue. Having owned a few CSLs, an E46 M3 and quite a few other performance cars I decided to go for the M5 as I am now in a position where I don't do many miles a year and wanted a car with heritage, history and at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Having owned the car for nearly a week I am truly amazed how good the car is. Effortless torque, lots of power, nice gearchange, sharp handling and all the toys.

The car is in very good condition but I am no expert so I plan on sending it to Sal at Evolve (who also did a great job on my last CSL) for an inspection to see if anything needs doing.

I don't plan on any modifications right now but would like to make a few little changes. The car has the original nav unit so I bought a mk4 unit off ebay which should be arriving tomorrow. Is it easy to swap the units over? Also, can I add digital TV to the original head unit and how do I do it? I'd basically like to have the latest nav with speed cameras, maps etc., digital tv, tv in motion. What do people generally do about phone? I'm wondering if it's worth retrofitting BMW bluetooth but it seems very expensive considering one can go down the Parrot phone kit route. As for ipod is IntraveeII the best solution? I was thinking that if I go for a Parrot Bluetooth kit, the latest ones have ipod connectivity but I'm worried it will be a bit buggy.

Finally, the std sound system seems decent enough but is it easy just to upgrade the speakers for better sound? I don't want to go down the route of subs/amps etc. just better sound. The car didn't have any of the sound upgrade options.

Thanks for any help and look forward to contributing to the forum.

Anis

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Welcome to the S62 side,mate!:M5thumbs:

We need some pics,of course!

Good idea to drop by at Sal's that he can have a look at it!

Cheers,

Raikku

·
1,937 Posts
Welcome to the fold!

To give the best answers I can:

It's dead easy to swap the nav units over, both in the boot and in the car. They are both plug and play, and you only really get the full benefit of one if you do both. I'm assumming that you have the old style lead unit as well. I had the Mk IV nav unit for about a year before changing the front end, and it's much, much nicer. When you swap the unit in the boot there are, if I recall, 2 boxes that come out - the main nav computer and a smaller silver one called the Trimble unit which is buried in the middle of everything. You need to get the GPS antenna cable off the back of that and plug it into the new unit direct. It caught me out...

Our navigation systems don't have speed cameras and so on as standard, but you can get modified map disks off e-bay, I believe. If you already have TV then I understand it's a straight swap to put the digital unit in. Then you really will need to change the head unit as well as digital is a 16:9 picture while your head unit is 4:3. It may work but it will look crap.

I#m just about to fir BMW Bluetooth in my car, but it already has a built in BMW phone anyway. Use the search function on here (in fact just scroll back a page or two) and you'll see a thread explaining all about it and giving an idea of cost. It's not cheap, but it is an M5.

Intravee is brilliant, and with the new firmware it's even better than before. Do it. Absolutely no question about it.

Speakers are also easily replaced. Again I believe there's a thread I read on here recently.

Cheers,

YG (Simon)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
The car has the original nav unit so I bought a mk4 unit off ebay which should be arriving tomorrow. Is it easy to swap the units over?
Very easy, trivial if you have a Mk III.

For a Mk III, make sure the red light is OFF, if it's not you may brick it. simply release the Nav from the bracket by either using standard single DIN head unit release hoops, or just depress the clips from the outside with your fingers, then slide out. Unplug the two connectors and antenna cable, connect them to the Mk IV and slide it back in.

If you have a Mk II (white surround to the map CD slot) you will need to disconnect the antenna cable from the Trimble unit which is located to the right of the cuby hole, near the back. The Mk III and MK IV have an integrated Trimble.

Also, can I add digital TV to the original head unit and how do I do it?
Two ways :

- Plug and Play BMW hybrid unit, maintains all the original features, but costs a lot, £500 plus on e-bay.
- Use the AV input on the analogue TV module. You'll need an AV input cable, then you can connect up any 12V free view box using the existing antenna connections, some car tuners use SMB connectors like the OEM tuner, if not you'll need an SMB adapter.

I'd basically like to have the latest nav with speed cameras, maps etc., digital tv, tv in motion.
All do-able. Personally I don't think that the speed camera alert hack works well with TMC, you get Nav reboots when there are a lot of TMC messages, which is often when you most need the Nav.

Not much point in using a TV in motion cable, better to invest in a Resler iPod interface and NavCoder. You can code the Tv module to allow operation while moving (although this is illegal in almost every country) and use it to code the Mk IV Nav to your car as well. Cost will be about the same but you'll have fewer connections in the Nav/TV/Monitor chain. While you're at it, remove the Traffic Master system before it fails.

What do people generally do about phone? I'm wondering if it's worth retrofitting BMW bluetooth but it seems very expensive considering one can go down the Parrot phone kit route. As for ipod is IntraveeII the best solution? I was thinking that if I go for a Parrot Bluetooth kit, the latest ones have ipod connectivity but I'm worried it will be a bit buggy.
The Parrot is unlikely to be buggy, just not as integrated. I hate having stuff stuck on the dash with a passion, so would always go for the OEM kit, even though it's expensive and does not have great compatibility with newer phones. Do you already have a phone installed, if so which one?

Intravee is generally regarded as the best integrated iPod integration for the OEM Nav, it has extra features that work well in the E39 M5 too.

Finally, the std sound system seems decent enough but is it easy just to upgrade the speakers for better sound? I don't want to go down the route of subs/amps etc. just better sound. The car didn't have any of the sound upgrade options.
To get significant sound quality improvements you need to change the amp as well as the speakers, IMO it's hardly worth just changing the speakers, the improvement will be minimal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the fold!

To give the best answers I can:

It's dead easy to swap the nav units over, both in the boot and in the car. They are both plug and play, and you only really get the full benefit of one if you do both. I'm assumming that you have the old style lead unit as well. I had the Mk IV nav unit for about a year before changing the front end, and it's much, much nicer. When you swap the unit in the boot there are, if I recall, 2 boxes that come out - the main nav computer and a smaller silver one called the Trimble unit which is buried in the middle of everything. You need to get the GPS antenna cable off the back of that and plug it into the new unit direct. It caught me out...

Our navigation systems don't have speed cameras and so on as standard, but you can get modified map disks off e-bay, I believe. If you already have TV then I understand it's a straight swap to put the digital unit in. Then you really will need to change the head unit as well as digital is a 16:9 picture while your head unit is 4:3. It may work but it will look crap.

I#m just about to fir BMW Bluetooth in my car, but it already has a built in BMW phone anyway. Use the search function on here (in fact just scroll back a page or two) and you'll see a thread explaining all about it and giving an idea of cost. It's not cheap, but it is an M5.

Intravee is brilliant, and with the new firmware it's even better than before. Do it. Absolutely no question about it.

Speakers are also easily replaced. Again I believe there's a thread I read on here recently.

Cheers,

YG (Simon)
I have the 16:9 screen. It's a 2001 facelift car so I'm assuming I have a MKIII Nav so should be a straight swap? I'll check tomorrow. Ok, will take a look at the Intravee as it does seem the best option.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Anis,

Welcome to the board :cheers:

I bought a mk4 unit off ebay which should be arriving tomorrow. Is it easy to swap the units over?
It should be a straight plug & play if you have Mk3 unit. If you have a Mk2 you have to remove the trimble unit, but it is still quite easy; recent thread here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/153638-one-nav-experts.html Before you do it, make sure you open the boot with car turned off and wait for five minutes while the old system shuts down. Don't open any doors, press the key or anything else; the car has a shut down procedure that it must go through. The nav unit will go quiet and the light will go out when it has powered down. Swap the units, insert the DVD and go for a drive so the satellites can find you. Fill your boots: BMW MK4 SAT NAV DVD PROFESSIONAL HIGH ROAD MAP 2011 NAVIGATION UPDATE BMW Bluetooth Retrofit Information

Also, can I add digital TV to the original head unit and how do I do it?
You can get a BMW hybrid TV tuner that receives digital and analogue. I believe that like the NAV system it is plug and play, but I have not done it myself and the units are not cheap. I think you can usually get them on ebay. Digital TV is very difficult to receive on the move - more so than analogue - but the reception should be ok when stationary.

What do people generally do about phone?
I use a small clip on motorola bluetooth speaker that cost me £20 and is fine for the limited use I am prepared to give it whilst driving. Bluetooth can be retrofitted and controlled via the nav screen, but like you say it is expensive.

As for ipod is IntraveeII the best solution?
The Intravee is very good. I have an early Icelink that worked fine but has now gone to the electrical shop in the sky. I plan to replace it with an Intravee.

Finally, the std sound system seems decent enough but is it easy just to upgrade the speakers for better sound?
Dead easy to upgrade the speakers using either your own choice, or there is a kit available from Bavarian Soundwerks that people seem happy with and fit easily while not overloading the stock amplifier. Personally, I would be tempted to add a decent amplifier if you want better quality music. If you have the basic, non - dsp system it is quite straight forward for someone who knows what they are doing and the rewards are much better than changing speakers alone.

Hope that helps & enjoy your ride!

David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, really helpful stuff.

RichardP, what do you mean by the speed camera hack not working well with TMC? At the moment my TMC is red and I thought it wasn't working or not installed. With the Mk4 nav that I have bought it already has V32 loaded along with latest map update which has speed cameras. Are you saying that is not an official map disk as such, ie: not from BMW? Not sure I quite follow.

With regards to bluetooth, I already have the phone kit installed with a motorola V50. I haven't tried putting in a SIM to see if it works. I think if I can get a discrete look with the Parrot, even though its not OEM integration it might make sense.

Sounds like Digital TV is not really worth it. With all these things the idea sounds good but in practice I doubt I will use it much.

I think I will go ahead and get Intravee as it gets very good reviews. I assume I need the Intravee II and KCA-420i and it's plug and play. I wonder if that will conflict at all with the Parrot if I install a simple phone kit?

Thanks again, really good to get replies from you knowledgeable chaps.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The original equipment CDs had TMC disabled, which is why it is red. Aftermarket CDs (I got an updated CD from the manufacturer I seem to remember) are available with TMC enabled and the text goes green. It is a free, live service with reasonable accuracy and gives the nav system a 'diversion' option. It has saved me time on quite a few occasions. Not 100% accurate, but not bad at all for free!

I hate having stuff stuck on the dash with a passion
Quite agree with you; I can only tolerate my Motorola one because it clips to the sunvisor and I cannot see it...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
RichardP, what do you mean by the speed camera hack not working well with TMC? At the moment my TMC is red and I thought it wasn't working or not installed. With the Mk4 nav that I have bought it already has V32 loaded along with latest map update which has speed cameras. Are you saying that is not an official map disk as such, ie: not from BMW? Not sure I quite follow.
In the UK the TMC system is run by a company called ITIS, in most (all?) other European countries it's run as a free service. In order to receive TMC information the map disk needs to have special codes stored on it. The BMW map CD does not have the codes, but you can get map disks made for the VDO Dayton system that will enable it on the MK III. The BMW map DVDs used by the MK IV have the codes and so TMC can be used with the BMW map disk.

There are two forms of the speed camera hack. The first is to add a POI to the map disk so you can see icons on the map where speed cameras are, this works fine. The second is a modified version of the Nav software, called POISon, that can give an audible alert when you approach a speed camera location. This hack of the nav software in my experience is unstable when using in conjunction with TMC, you can use either on their own, but together you can get Nav computer re-boots.

With regards to bluetooth, I already have the phone kit installed with a motorola V50. I haven't tried putting in a SIM to see if it works. I think if I can get a discrete look with the Parrot, even though its not OEM integration it might make sense.
It is possible to upgarde the Motorola V50 to a bluetooth system, but it's nearly as expensive as a full retrofit, just not quite so much work.

The problem with the Parrot kit is that you will need to use the control interface to receive phone calls etc. So it can never be 100% stealth, unless they have a decent voice controlled system now (I'm not aware of one).

Sounds like Digital TV is not really worth it. With all these things the idea sounds good but in practice I doubt I will use it much.
That sums it up pretty well.

I think I will go ahead and get Intravee as it gets very good reviews. I assume I need the Intravee II and KCA-420i and it's plug and play. I wonder if that will conflict at all with the Parrot if I install a simple phone kit?
Correct, you'll need the Intravee and Alpine KCA-420i, it's plug and play instead of the CD Changer.

There should be no issue with compatibility with the Parrot kit or OEM phone.

Thanks again, really good to get replies from you knowledgeable chaps.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Never knew that about the TMC codes Richard; explains why the codes are disabled on factory UK cars.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yeah, in the UK the service is not free, you pay a premium for the licence to use the TMC codes, it's one reason why the map DVDs are so expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts