BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm a new e39 M5 owner and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Gainesville, FL and recently purchased a 2003 Lemans / caramel car with 88k miles from a fellow board member (GMGM5). I've been friends with him for decades and have been pressuring him to sell me his M5 since the day he bought it new! This is my 5th BMW (two e36 M3s, one e30 M3 and a e46 325iT) but my first M5. I love the car thus far and giggle every time I have a chance to bury the throttle.

Unfortunately, the car decided to christen my ownership period with a failed radiator. I was, ironically, on the way to my mechanic's shop to have him listen to a driveline noise I was hearing shortly after clutch engagement. About 2 miles from his shop, the car sounded the coolant temperature alarm, at which point I glanced down and noticed the temperature gauge. :sad1:

After getting towed to his shop, it turns out that the driver side plastic end tank cracked, sending coolant everywhere. So I'm looking at the typical BMW coolant system refresh at this point (radiator, expansion tank, upper/lower hoses, breather hose, etc). Being new to this chassis and model, are there standard "while you're in there" items to take care of? The car had a new thermostat 10k miles ago. I appreciate the group's insight.

The noise I was hearing seems to be the CV joint where the driveshaft hits the diff. It's distributed its grease all over the bottom of the car at this point and seems to be the culprit.

Regardless, I am excited to be the owner of a "Beast" finally and looking forward to getting to know the car...hopefully in less expensive ways! Pics below (interior cleaning is next up!).

Thanks,
Tucker

·
Registered
295 Posts
Congratulations! Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
195 Posts
welcome good luck

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Absolutely beautiful car!

BTW these cars are most definetly female, make you spend money from the beginning of the relationship and still feel like it is the only correct thing to do, not to mention the way these demand attention as well... lovelove Only problem with the mental image is that these cars are aggressive and very much the muscular, berserker type which leads me to think about former DDR female athletes... yes, that is where the soul of these thing must come from ouich I wish I could unthink that.

Yea, I'm bored but welcome aboard the board and enjoy your toy! :cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks. I'm happy to be an M5 owner finally, although the painful introduction has taken some of the blush off the rose.

Welcome to the board :)

Feel obliged to mention this one, a general kind of while-you're-in-there sort of thread, but it depends where you want to stop. With various guts out though, worth doing some other bits like you say. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...g-else-i-should-replace-while-intake-off.html
I appreciate the link. I will go through the list tonight and compare the recommendations with the work that has already been done on the car. The car received a new thermostat and crankcase vent hoses 10k miles ago, so those are good. Not sure about the vacuum lines etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts