BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, finally got an M5! Unfortunately, this happened. I had to drive it home for over 500kilometers mostly highway, was doing 60mph most of the time. Checked the oil seemed ok, but when I got home and standing if front of the car I could hear a slight... rattle or how do I describe it, kind of like a diesel sound to it but not loud, will try to film it today! It's a 07.1999, mileage is allegedly 140k kilometers... I'm the 4th owner now and I'm really scared not to destroy the engine, I only have it for two days. Any advice would be appreciated, sorry if I'm doing something wrong by asking this, but I'm desperate. :( Could it be the chain tensioner?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lol welcome to the M5 club! ALL e39 m5s sound like this, it is known. These cars just have this diesel sound. Now, if you hear something that sounds like marbles in a tin can, then that's the VANOS making noise... but the normal diesel ticking isn't a huge deal. If it sounds like chain slapping though, then it could be one of the two timing chain tensioners but the diesel sound is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks very much for the warm welcome and quick replies! Sorry I am new to the m5, only know what I heard online during my research before buying. So then it's not something critical I should immediately worry about... I'm literally scared to death lol. I mean, if I can drive it to the garage slowly on the highway that would be great, then I'll do a proper inspection with my friend, or maybe give it to a dealer and pay ridiculous money... It does just this as shown in the video, only that... And I only noticed after I arrived to Prague, barely noticed tbh. I thought maybe it's because it was sitting for weeks... not a car in perfect condition but I payed 23k euro for her and the owner seemed like a cool BMW fan dude, I have the old vanos units and some other things he did during his ownership. Anyway, thank you for the advice, I'll drive it 100km highway to the garage then, by the way haven't driven it like a madman drove it 110km/h almost the whole way, but did a few pulls and it certainly pulls nicely! It's really awesome how this car has got such a community, I plan to keep mine for a long time despite hearing many bad things about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well...

I was gonna say, sound? what sound? I don't hear any strange sound...
Maybe I'm just super paranoid about the car since I've been hearing horror stories for the last 6 months, but the phone picked up the sound pretty nicely, it sounds exactly like this irl. Thanks for letting me know, I barely even know how to start a thread here lol. Hope I don't get banned or something...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts