BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am 1 week into ownership of my m5. Le Mans Blue, black leather, UK.
I have a load of jobs to do on it but all thing I'm looking forward to getting stuck into.
It has an Evolve tune with 4:1 headers. 427bhp dyno run. Can anyone share anymore info on this? The difference with sport button is huge!
I am assuming the rev limit has increased and speed limiter removed.
It is mapped for 98RON.
Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have an evolve alphaN tune and the throttle response difference between sport on and sport off is very big. Granted I believe this is true for stock but I haven't driven stock M5's for an extensive amount of time, mine came with the tune.

Any pictures of your new M5?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Welcome. You will enjoy the beast, especially with headers (the way they should have come from the factory).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Full spec:
2001 le man blue with recently done timing chain, clutch, service. It has brembo 6 pot front brakes although they don't feel that special. Could be a little warped and might need a pad upgrade. Bilstein B8s which I wasn't looking for initially but starting to come around to. Great control but short stroke, not designed for UK country roads. Then the 4:1 exhaust and tune from evolve is very impressive. A little loud on cold start up at 2000 rpm but then perfect when driving. I need to find out more about this tune...

I'm looking forward to a high speed run at some point to see what it can do (Autobahn trip). Are there any results as to what speeds people have reached in their standard and tuned e39s?
I have a life goal to go 200mph on the Autobahn but not sure e39s are geared for it even?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Car looks great, sounds like it has some quality mods as well.

I've only as been as high as about 155 in mine (looked down once slowing down and saw that), we don't get many areas to speed on the east coast of the US of A. Need to go out west and do that in the middle of the desert.

I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure a Dinan S2 with stock gears was capable of cracking 200mph (204 I want to say?) because of the rev limiter being bumped. Again, could be wrong, but I think with the 7000rpm rev limit you won't be able to rev out high enough to hit 200mph. Dinan 3.45's brought it back to 194mph with the increased rev limit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome wheels! Cool color as well.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I've heard that a Dinan (not supercharged) car can reach >186mph indicated and a stock car can get to 179.9mph by GPS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at getting some time at bruntingthorpe airfield to try it out. 2 mile straight section but it seems when they hire for joint use they split the track in half. I will get back to them again and see what's possible... otherwise it's a trip to Germany!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I remember reading that the Dinan S3 topped out at 191mph. It was the red one Steve had which later sold on ebay. If anyone has gone beyond that on an e39 chassis please post. I'm happy going 150 in mine feeling like an ordinary car would feel standing at a red light.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome RustyRusty. What a fantastic car you have there ... looks epic!

Funnily enough I know the previous owner of your car through the Whats App group. If you DM me i'll add your number to the group. Would be great to get a few E39 M5's together soon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
BradB
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing