BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Today I received some new pictures of
the facelifted E39 including one pic of the new navigation screen.

Check out: New Pics

Daniel

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
BA,

Thanks for the pics

The new rear light cluster may look stunning with the clear lights giving it a more 'crystal' effect. Also, do you happen to know where the MD would go with the new NAV setup? The bigger screen seems to be better.

KRM5

·
Registered
592 Posts
I hate to say it because you guys probably love the new look. I think those new lights are kind of beady looking. I do like the looks of the new nav setup though it looks more advanced some how. No way in hell am I going to jump ship though. I think somebody here said it, change is the only constant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I guess I am a bit confused. They show the silver version with color matched bumper strips and the red version with the black strips like the 2000 model. Will it be an option to choose one or the other?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmm... that black on red stripping looks quite appealing. I feel as though it is a bit to "pronounced", which would lead me to in turn get the matching color stripping.

Whether it actually is an option, or not, I haven't the slightest clue. I hope though it is an option because there is nothing like being able to make your car "yours" in any way shape or form

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
UGH!

UGH!

Those headlights are TERRIBLE!

-Chris

·
Registered
122 Posts
Even though I do agree that the headlights are odd (thats the worst I'll say...
), just think about this scenario...

...You're a chasing a guy in your beast at 1am without him knowing it. Prolly some 89 5.0 Mustang or something that has been pressing you all day to race. you slowly come up on him (on the highway), cruising at 60mph. He notices in his mirror... what seems to be... eyes! Of course he can't really see your car because a general amount of Americans have less than 20/20 vision, and it doesn't help you have a Jet Black M5. As you are about 4 car lenghts back... you flash your xenon's on him... which sends a little tingle down his spine because he knows the guy behind him is serious. As he starts to accelerate... the M5 does too. When you really get going... the available torgue in the M5 does it's job and all the 5.0 driver see's is your tail lights. little does he know he was passed by one the most technologically advanced supercars in the world.

...well... you can do that in any M5 really... it's the emotion that counts :).

The lights ALSO make the M5 look more pronounced also (just like the black stripping)... which detracts away from the stealth. It's not everyday any old car has headlights looking like that you know...

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to disagree....those new lights are kinda cool. Although i have no idea what to make of those pictures, they seem diff. So much cooler rather than the old version. That big bulky yellow turnin signal all the way to the side of the headlamps.
I dont know what to make of those rings. You can really tell what it will look like just from pictures. You have to wait and see for yourself when it comes out. I must say that if BMW will make this available with the new SPORTS M package, i would def get it...if i wasnt getting an M3. By the way, lets not forget...the 5 series along with the facelift is getting a new engine also. They're coming out with the same engine that the 3 series got. The 530 will replace the 528....not quite sure about the 540. I cant think what that would be replaced with. The M engine....hahaha...ya right!!! Imagine replacing it with the new M3 engine...in that case it wouldnt be a 540 anymore. Either way, im very excited to see these new models come out. Wonder when they'll be available??

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
No way. What happeened to the subtlety? I mean, yea, it gives it an aggressive "get the **** out of my way" sort of stance, but it also loses it's character. Why didn't they just go ahead and redesign the whole car, all aluminum, etc etc.

Thank you mk1.

--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Ok. Think about this, you guys would have to SELL yoru car (logistics of which aren't always pleasant/easy), then get an allotment for the upcoming model (which means there's a wait time) AND pay an additional amount (because what you sell for will obviously be less than what you will have to pay for new one). Why? Performance increase? NO. Major upgrades otherwise? NO. Internal styling (save GPS). In all honesty, no where NEAR worth the trouble. Oh, and did I mention that it DETRACTS from the subtlety aspect. :)

--Dan

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll be happy if my '01 looks as good as the '00 model. I really don't see enough difference to care unless the '01 is disappointing when I see it in the flesh.

An '01/'00 "looks" debate seems a little premature and it appears that they will look enough like each other that picking one over the other will be little different from picking colors or other options that are a small matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Exactly how does any of the changes distract from the stealth when they are applied to the entire 5er line? The whole stealth comes from a 400hp car looking like the straight 6
which it still does...

·
Registered
87 Posts
What's the purpose of the lited rings?? City/DTR lights?? It would be cool if someone find a way to wire them so that they blink with turn signals....
Just a thought....

Only time will tell if '01 looks cool....

Andy Kuo

------------------
ICQ# 26950002
Mercedes S-Class Page
http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
I took a look at the scan of the German brochure and here're some of my humble opinions:

• TRULY love the same color bumper around the car. The black molds kind of turned me off from ordering light colors like Silverstone. I ended up with Anthracite just to make the black molds stand out less.
  • Really like the way the new NAV looks, too. From the photos I infer it can be folded up to show the cassette deck and stereo control. Kinda stealthy.
  • Don't like the front headlight rings.
  • I think it's great that you can have in-dash CD player. I don't listen to cassettes that much anymore.

Does anyone know whether I could order the same-color side moldings to replace the black moldings on 2000 M5? I would prefer my car to look that way.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'm sure you *could* do a same color moulding. I'm sure there is some sort of paint approved for plastics of this nature.

I was lucky in that my car is Jet Black, so the it looks like it SHOULD be that way.

--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
LIAR!

THAT IS NOT THE NEW ///M5!

I just realized, and confirmed via picture. that's what the new 540i SPORT will look like. They added this "sport" line with the rear bumper, front air damn abd these 5 spoke wheels which look like ours, only missing the flat 5 spokes. Also notice it's got 1 tailpipe on each side.

Hmm. You can also tell by the crossbar in the airdam. we have the grill/vent thing.

Oh well. I'm STILL sticking with the 2k.

--Dan

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Originally posted by Gustav:
new M Sport package now includes double exhausts, not quad though.

The red 5 series above is how the facelifted M5 should look, except the exhausts and vertical bar on the front spoiler.

[/B]
Hmmm, liar? I said it was the M Sport package, that you can order to the whole 5 series range except M5 (of course). So the M5 will look like this but with the changes noted above + M Sport mirrors. OK?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 26 Posts