BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've am the original owner of an 1995 E34 525i (manual and tricked out). It has been in the garage for the past 4 years in need of a transmission rebuild. Just when I had it towed to have that rebuild work, the opportunity to purchase a 1993 E34 M5 was presented to me.

The car is a 1993 Black/Tan M5 with 110K miles on it. She has had over $22K in documented service over the past decade by a mechanic I know and trust. This work includes a full valve/head job. Though a great car, the owner was the victim of thieves who took bumpers, wheels, mirrors, and the shift console. I just happen to have offset throwing stars on my 525 and M5 mirrors. I also have window glass (broken in theft), regulators, and standard e34 bumpers which help. I was able to pick the car up for $1,800.

My plan as of now is to put the 525i bumpers on it and accent with a front DMT lip and a custom sport mold on the rear bumper. The wheels and mirrors are stock from my car which is a no brainer. My thinking is that IF I come across the opportunity to buy OEM bumpers in the future, I can always replace to get the car back to as original as I can.

The interior and exterior are a bit rough as well so I'm going to get some leather work and will probably have the entire car repainted while the bumpers are off. My all in budget is $8K for a mechanically sound, aesthetically pleasing E34 M5.

Any thoughts on the strategy? Other advice?

I've already bought the car and initial work begins on Monday. It will take up to 6 weeks for the work so any ideas you have during that timeframe are welcomed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eero, thanks for the tip. I will go investigate getting new bumpers. Matt, I've uploaded pre-towing and where it stands now. I'll update as we make progress.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Luckily for you the thieves left the Motorsport door handles, probably the most difficult parts to find but also not a quick take off. Quite a deal, good luck with the project!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gtopaul, I never thought about the door handles. The theory is whomever hit this car knew the E34 as besides the broken window, the did very little damage. I can only image if some idiot took a crowbar to those door handles.

To be transparent, I have wanted one of these cars for the better part of 15 years. I am excited to have the opportunity. Though we are sad to part with our 525i, this is perfect timing.

If anyone has insight into 3D prints of the **** surround, that is my real search item right now.

Derick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Xaoc, thanks for the heads up on the fan directions. These tires literally have no miles on them so now is a good time to correct that. My main concern was getting real E34 wheels on this car as the ones in the original picture were not drivable and were just to keep it off the ground.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mattt, foundation is a good word to use. So I can contribute back, I'm going to take the $22K in repair bills I have documented from the previous owner and get them down to a simple table I can PDF and share. I think it will be helpful for others considering buying an E34 as they can see the types of maintenance that one of these can and should have as well as the pricing involved. I'll knock that out sometime this week and post.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are progressing on this project. Here are a few pics of the empty interior, marked up body, and prepped body. The interior is done and I should have pics of it re-installed by end of next week.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks like a great buy! Cant wait to see it when you are done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts