BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this from another forum. the guy that posted it is a senior member and is also a bmw master mechanic.

Subject: New door seals introduced for E39
Message: Despite being past the end of its production run, I'm proud to see that the E39 is still receiving attention from BMW on issues like this. New door seals were just released that are supposed to be another improvement. Note I have not tried these yet myself, so I can't comment firsthand if they're a true success. Also, Carbaflo is not supposed to be applied to these new seals. I assume it's the same new EPDM polyester material introduced for the E60 (yes it has the door seal problem also).

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
51 21 0 402 745 Front Left Seal (Sedan & Sports Wagon)
51 21 0 402 746 Front Right Seal (Sedan & Sports Wagon)
51 22 0 402 747 Rear Left Seal (Sedan Only)
51 22 0 402 748 Rear Right Seal (Sedan Only)
51 22 0 402 749 Rear Left Seal (Sports Wagon Only)
51 22 0 402 750 Rear Right Seal (Sports Wagon Only)

·
Banned
136 Posts
That is good news. So if your car is still under warranty, will BMW replace your door seals with the new improved versions?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ray540inyc said:
i got this from another forum. the guy that posted it is a senior member and is also a bmw master mechanic.

Subject: New door seals introduced for E39
Message: Despite being past the end of its production run, I'm proud to see that the E39 is still receiving attention from BMW on issues like this. New door seals were just released that are supposed to be another improvement. Note I have not tried these yet myself, so I can't comment firsthand if they're a true success. Also, Carbaflo is not supposed to be applied to these new seals. I assume it's the same new EPDM polyester material introduced for the E60 (yes it has the door seal problem also).

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
51 21 0 402 745 Front Left Seal (Sedan & Sports Wagon)
51 21 0 402 746 Front Right Seal (Sedan & Sports Wagon)
51 22 0 402 747 Rear Left Seal (Sedan Only)
51 22 0 402 748 Rear Right Seal (Sedan Only)
51 22 0 402 749 Rear Left Seal (Sports Wagon Only)
51 22 0 402 750 Rear Right Seal (Sports Wagon Only)
I wonder if the new seals are more resistant to wear-through from brushing your back across them...or are they intended to reduce squeaking?

E39 seal "placement" is very poor & there's nothing that can be done about that. Most car body designs carefully position and/or recess the seal so folks don't drag their body across them during exit or entry.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I will see if my SA know anything about replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gang, on a somewhat related note, if anyone is still looking for Gummi Pflege, Pelican Parts (pelicanparts.com) has 23 tubes in stock as of today.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Good info.

Question:
I know Gummi Pflege comes in a green tube. Seems everyone is out of that (including Pelican) but they have this:....is it the same?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had my left driver's door seal replaced under warranty from wear through on the b pillar and the floor, no questions asked!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hmmm. . . that I couldn't tell you.hmmm

boostmiser said:
Good info.

Question:
I know Gummi Pflege comes in a green tube. Seems everyone is out of that (including Pelican) but they have this:....is it the same?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Is it the same?
Hard to say. But the literal translation of "gummi pflege" is "rubber maintenance," a rather generic, descriptive term, so it seems unlikely that it's a trademark indicating the same source for the product in the green tube we so dearly love. On the other hand, it could be the same or nearly the same stuff inside. For a few bucks, why not try it and let us all know?!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ok, so my order just showed up. The bottle that I received doesn't look like the picture above (same shape, different labeling), and it's certainly not a green tube. When you pop the top off, there is a round applicater pad. The bottle reads:

"Rubber Protection cleans and protects all rubber seals in car doors, windows and trunks. Long-lasting protection against freezing. Protects and keeps the rubber elastic. Restores original color. Excellent temperature and UV resistance. With long lasting protection formula."

I'll post a follow-up in the next few days (hopefully - it's going to be 100+ degrees in Chicago this weekend), and let you know how it works (we've DEFINITELY got the creaky-creaky thing going on).

Need4Spd said:
Hard to say. But the literal translation of "gummi pflege" is "rubber maintenance," a rather generic, descriptive term, so it seems unlikely that it's a trademark indicating the same source for the product in the green tube we so dearly love. On the other hand, it could be the same or nearly the same stuff inside. For a few bucks, why not try it and let us all know?!

·
Registered
354 Posts
The door squeak has been bothering me for quite awhile. I have a 12/00 delivery 01 beast and warranty has long expired. However, I have repeatedly brought my beast into the dealership before warranty expiration complaining about the squeaks which were never satisfactorily resolved. I will try to see if they are willing to replace it for me for no charge or discounted price. Has anyone tried the new door seal yet?

-Jay

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:
I will see if my SA know anything about replacement under warranty.
Just had to buy a new drivers door seal... dealer said it was classed as a wear/perrishable item and so not covered by warranty... for £24 I didn't argue...especially as I had just got 2 new MAFs and cam sensor out of them... and was feeling very :biggrin:

He did say he sold quite a few and had plenty in stock :hihi:

-Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts