BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

New Dinan Throttle Bodies

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  905RMP32V1x 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen any posts on this topic, so I thought I would start one. I just looked at the Dinan website, and there are new "high flow throttle bodies" listed. There isn't any info regarding hp/tq gains, but the price is $2,199 plus 11 units of labor. It says they will be released by the end of October, and that information will be posted to the website soon.

Also, Dinan also has listed a free flow exhaust, rear shock tower brace, stage 1 and 2 suspension systems, front roll control system, and a 19mm rear adjustable anti roll bar. All these will be available in either late Oct. or late Nov.

After installing my Dinan diff, I am very happy with the brand and will definitely be interested in the throttle bodies, and in any future performance mods from Dinan.:applause:

#3 ·
After doing the diff, I'm on board with Dinan. Sign me up!

#4 ·
Yup, thats what I been writing about.....more air , more fuel !!!! And I DON'T work for them !!!!

#5 · (Edited)
Dinan is a m5board.com sponser.

Do we get special pricing?

#6 ·
can't wait for somebody to buy all these mods for $20k or so and let me know what the horsepower and handling gains are. my m6cab will be here in a month and i am likely to go ahead and order the front strut tower brace as Dinan's is $599 and AC Shnitzer's is over $1500 (what a rip).
i am most interested in their exhaust as i think (from reading other people's opinions) that the Eisenmann is too loud and the look of the Schnitzer tips is unattractive IMO.
thanks for the feedback.
murph

#7 ·
With SS headers it would be closer to 30K. Actually you could wait for the new Dinan engine to come out for that price. Supposed to have over 600HP.

#8 ·
Unless I missed it, I only saw an exhaust for the 545 or 550 on the website, not the M5. Would be very interested in hearing it when and if it is available and how it compares with the Supersprint Race which provides a nice deep growl at idle without the window-shattering yell at speed.

#9 ·
bmwbonehead said:
Unless I missed it, I only saw an exhaust for the 545 or 550 on the website, not the M5. Would be very interested in hearing it when and if it is available and how it compares with the Supersprint Race which provides a nice deep growl at idle without the window-shattering yell at speed.
It showed free flow exhaust on the website for the M5, but no info or pictures or pricing. Maybe they are not quite ready and their internet geek is just getting ready to put everything up.

#10 ·
Adam Bowles said:
There isn't any info regarding hp/tq gains, but the price is $2,199 plus 11 units of labor. It says they will be released by the end of October, and that information will be posted to the website soon.

:applause:
wow !!

11 units is that hours ???

does anyone know from expeirience about throttle bodies and what they do.where the power is.how these bodies would affect our car.

ive used dinan for years and i just did the diff and would maybe also be interested in this aswell.

#11 ·
Yes, the 11 units = 11 hours. They have changed it because 11 units used to mean 1.1 hours, but I checked the diff which I know took 4.2 hours and used to say 42 units, but now it says 4.2 units.

Although I don't have experience with throttle bodies, I assume Dinan will increase the diameter of the throttle bodies to allow more air into the engine. Also, since our car has 10 throttle bodies, $2,199 sounds pretty reasonable to me. My buddy just got a throttle body for his X5 4.8is, and for 1 throttle body it was $500 I think.

As far as the Dinan exhaust, there is no picture or description, but it is listed on the M5 page right under the 3.91 diff.

#12 ·
I saw an article in Exotics Mag that showed a Dinan E60 M5 with 600 hp! Not the presumed stoker motor either. It had the throttle bodies etc. Mentioned 70k for all the upgrades including sway bars etc. I left it at home. If no one else has it I can scan it and post it.

#15 ·
deknight said:
I saw an article in Exotics Mag that showed a Dinan E60 M5 with 600 hp!
I understand Dinan is working with Fisker Coach Builders tuning the base BMW engines. The Fisker Latigo is based on the 6 series, using either the 650 or M6. The Fisker (Dinan) M6 engine performance is shown at 620 HP.
So, there may be more interesting Dinan bits and pieces coming from this effort.

#17 ·
LI-M5 said:
wow !!

11 units is that hours ???

does anyone know from expeirience about throttle bodies and what they do.where the power is.how these bodies would affect our car.

ive used dinan for years and i just did the diff and would maybe also be interested in this aswell.
Ok, lets talk about throttle bodies. I am so happy with my 3.91 diff that I'm ready to jump on board with almost anything Dinan offers.
Now, I don't know a whole lot about throttle bodies. I understand the concepts of the air-gas mixture but I'm curious as to how much you think BMW has left on the table that can be gained by messing with the throttle bodies. Afterall it is only a 5L engine that they have gotten 507HP out of. Maybe UFH can chime in since it sounds like he stays up late at night pondering these questions.
There are always tradeoffs in any mod you do. Conceptually it may be that gas milage might decrease (which doesn't bother me) or that the ECU programing may be effected.
Please, one of you gear-heads needs to educate me!:dunno:

#18 ·
Okay, my rudimentary understanding (and feel free to correct, and as you often like to do, call me a BIG P***Y, UFH:)): throttle bodies and throttle plates regulate the amount of air entering the intake manifold. Accelerator pedal input modulates the degree to which the plate opens and thus the amount of air in the air/fuel mix. More air, more power. Larger TB's would allow more air, although I don't know how the decreased air velocity (any physics geeks out there: larger circumference tube/cylinder decreases velocity of gas/liquid thru the cylinder???) would affect the whole equation.
MAF's then determine the amount of fuel to inject based on the airflow.

Surely, gas consumption will hit the fan, but will be interesting to see how the hp is affected.

Since I'm assuming the ECU is an integral part of this whole process, do you think a reprogram is necessary for this mod as 905 mentioned?

#19 · (Edited)
I'm glad to see that Dinan stuff is getting close to production.

TB's are usually effective as part of a larger improved induction system. That they're going with them right out of the gate is interesting... it means either that an intake will be coming soon or that they feel that they can get enough air through the stock airboxes. My guess is the former.

Will they need software? I think the computer can compensate for upgrades to a point, but a software tweak will help squeeze the most out of it.

#20 ·
yes, yes, yes,yes,.........programing, injector sizing, intake volume,and intake velocity, all will have to be addressed...for serious H.P. gains along with headers and cats....then cams, rods and pistons.......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#21 ·
Then you'll have to address the outflow next. Hello SS headers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.