BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with Dinan, and have some interesting news.

The 3.91 differential currently does not upshift automatically at full throttle in 'D' mode. In order to correct this problem, the Transmission Control Unit, has to be modified. Evidently, this is a different piece of harware from the ECU, so this correction will NOT be included in the upcoming release of Dinan's performance chip.

The good news is the performance chip should be released in March. No estimates as far as HP increases, but I got a price of around $850. The bad news is there is no eta for the 3.91 correction chip.

Just a thought - if they raise the rev limit enough with the performance chip, say to 9,000 rpm, then the 3.91 problem goes away. I doubt they will increase the revs by that much though...:grrrrr:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah, I was told that the performance chip and the throttle bodies would come out at more or less the same time.....March is good.

:grinyes:

But I was also told.....albeit a few weeks ago that the 3.91 "fix" would be in that performance "chip".....but that apparently is now wrong......OK, fine......that 3.91 fix should be provided for FREE, not as their web site says: At an additional cost.

I can't wait until they produce that fix and have the nerve to ask those that have already paid for their differential to cough up some more.

I love a challenge (not) :confused3

Tom

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Ummmm.....

bmwbonehead said:
Any word on whether they would charge for reflashes in the event of a Progman update?
To date, Dinan (unlike ALL other vendors) has not charged for reflashes when BMW updates software (like the recent DME update on E39 M5's for emissions reads). HOWEVER, every F&*king BMW dealer I talked to wanted a 1hr labor charge to do a Dinan download/reflash, even though they were also Dinan dealers. So, I had the BMW dealer do a DME fix (they couldn't charge for that 'cause it was a recall); then my indy shop/Dinan dealer reflashed Dinan software in 15 minutes, for zero charge.

As I've said before, BMW dealers are stupid and idiotic. IMO, the whole BMW organization, from Germany to dealers and everything in between, have become CRAP.grrrrrrr And I'm going to KEEP SAYING IT; unless and until they FIND THEIR WAY again!!:reallypissed:

Dan :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
bmwbonehead said:
Any word on whether they would charge for reflashes in the event of a Progman update?
i doubt it boner, i mean how could they.they know the car has problems with tranny's and such before they make the software if they thought it was gonna be a problem then they just would'nt do it ..at least i hope not..

as for the software $850.00 seems like alot of $$ but im defenetly gonna do it !!

cause dinan had a special on software 1/2 price when i got my truck done (actually the reason i got it done) i got both tranny/engine software for like $650.00 point of this story is the truck is nite/day with it.recently i had a major overhaul on my truck from bmw and when i got the truck back it felt real slow i took it back and they redid the software's :eek:oohhh: whoa what a huge difference..not like the aa software well is it there or not ?? no like wow that really makes a big difference.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Wolverine said:

The 3.91 differential currently does not upshift automatically at full throttle in 'D' mode. In order to correct this problem, the Transmission Control Unit, has to be modified. Evidently, this is a different piece of harware from the ECU, so this correction will NOT be included in the upcoming release of Dinan's performance chip.

The good news is the performance chip should be released in March. No estimates as far as HP increases, but I got a price of around $850. The bad news is there is no eta for the 3.91 correction chip.

Just a thought - if they raise the rev limit enough with the performance chip, say to 9,000 rpm, then the 3.91 problem goes away. I doubt they will increase the revs by that much though...:grrrrr:
Frustrating....when I spoke to them last night, they said the new chip will fix the Diff issue.

They also said 5-8 HP for the chip. For $850, I would rather go on Nutri-system for 2 months.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
drm64099 said:
As I've said before, BMW dealers are stupid and idiotic. IMO, the whole BMW organization, from Germany to dealers and everything in between, have become CRAP.grrrrrrr And I'm going to KEEP SAYING IT; unless and until they FIND THEIR WAY again!!:reallypissed:

Dan :checkeredflag:
dan has someone not had their morning cup of coffee today..only kidding:hihihi:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wolverine said:

$850 seems steep compared to the Stage 1 software for the E39 M5 at $399.00:eek7: ?!! I wonder if this is because there will not be as many stages? You would at least have to have one stage for the throttle bodies. The E39 Stage 6 is $899 so it seems like this is the case. Does this mean they will not have a CAI or Headers? Just wondering.:confused3

·
Registered
532 Posts
T Bone said:
They also said 5-8 HP for the chip. For $850, I would rather go on Nutri-system for 2 months.
You get at least that much in HP just by taking out the charcoal filters, and that's free!

·
Registered
902 Posts
deknight said:
Does this mean they will not have a CAI or Headers? Just wondering.:confused3
Dinan won't build stuff that won't pass CARB and if you modify cats in any way, you can't get CARB approval. Since the stock headers have a set of cats built in they can't be removed without violating CARB rules, so most likely, no headers from Dinan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts