BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the updated Dinan cold air intake with temp relocator and ram air on yesterday, and am very impressed. My car already had proper powerchip software, and exhaust mods in place.
1. Significantly more pull, especially at speed.
2. My cold start this morning was silky smooth during engine warmup.
3. Sound is about the same.

I am at 4600 feet, so an intake may have more effect than at sea level in our O2 starved environment here in colorado. The craftsmanship is great, and the foglights look good with the openings, much more understated than the AA.
Overall for 2 grand there is a definite improvement, but it is probably less cost effective than my other mods. The car runs so smooth now that I don't mind my lighter wallet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm actually surprised that you feel any gain at all. I think Dinan only claims 5hp at 7k and heatsoak shouldn't be a factor in Colorado in Dec/Jan. Glad to hear that the new airboxes, plumbing and filters are giving you a noticable gain.

TexasM5

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The fact that he has Supersprint headers and mufflers may have a positive affect on the Dinan CAI. Now that the car is breathing more efficiently, the intake may play a larger role and be able to flow cooler air in more volumes. Also, keep in mind Dinan claims 5hp with their software, Powerchip may be able to take advantage of the intake better with their tunning.

Travis

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TexasM5 said:
I'm actually surprised that you feel any gain at all. I think Dinan only claims 5hp at 7k and heatsoak shouldn't be a factor in Colorado in Dec/Jan. Glad to hear that the new airboxes, plumbing and filters are giving you a noticable gain.

TexasM5
The new dinan design adds a ram air effect through the foglights, which I think adds good power at speeds. I have had 2 c5 corvettes in the past, one with a vortex ram air intake, and one with a underhood K&N filter, and the ram air was clearly better. It is so good on the c5 that it lower the quarter by 0.5 seconds.

I wish I would have run trap speeds stock, with the headers, and with the intake to really see the difference.
Phil

·
Registered
266 Posts
It may very well add power in your application. Travis' points are well taken and with the Supersprint mods, perhaps you are getting better than the 5hp which Dinan claims. 5hp is hard to notice in a 400hp auto. I've always felt that the CAI is a nice addition for us in hotter climates, I'm just surprised that you would notice a difference in 50f weather.

·
10,455 Posts
pmarin said:
The new dinan design adds a ram air effect through the foglights, which I think adds good power at speeds.
Phil
Having installed this system myself on my car, i question if there is really any ram air effect. Dinan has a series of baffles to keep rain out of the system,(and hot engine compartment air away from the filter) which might limit the airflow as well. They only way i can see any positive air pressure is IF the front wheel well area becomes pressurized at speed. It very well may, i've not seen any data either way. The airfilter is tucked back and 'around the corner' in the bumper cavity, from where the fog lamp opening is. If you stick your hand in the fog lamp hole, it goes into the dinan rain trap. I think it's a nice set up that is as effective as any cai.
Mike

·
Registered
466 Posts
Glad to here that you like it. I am having the same mod installed this coming thursday. I had also inquired from the dealer about the brake duct cooling modification. Oddly, I thought that the brake duct mod used to incorperate the fodlight opening mod that it sounds as if is now incorperated in the RAM air improvement. Will be very currious as to what the dealership has on Thursday.

Cheers,
War

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've had the Dinan stage 3 setup (+ exhaust) on my '00 M5 for about a month now and I am quite pleased with the overall performance. From the increased throttle repsonse to the performance sound of the intake and the exhaust. It is simply a thrill to drive and it pulls a little harder over the stock setup in the very high rpms. Next mods are the Dinan 3.45 diff, then headers. I will be installing the UUC EVO 3/DSSR and tranny mounts along with the diff in a couple of weeks.

Mike

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have never had a situation in my experience where a "ram air" setup alone ever produced notable gains. I think the key is the Supersprint headers and Powerchip tune in combination with the new air intake.. I am really happy that you actually feel an improvement and I am not doubting your satisfaction.

Ram air is an overly hyped concept. Most stock intake tracts are nearly optimal in my estimation. The stock M5 inlets are pressurized from the moving airflow to begin with. Technically, the stock intakes are probably "ram air" already. Intake plumbing design is not as simple as "make as big, straight, and short a tube as possible." Even F1 "ram air" intakes do not force feed the outside air into the plenum. I believe there is a bypass path for the airflow that is incorporated before the intake plenum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HBRAMSTEDT said:
I have never had a situation in my experience where a "ram air" setup alone ever produced notable gains. I think the key is the Supersprint headers and Powerchip tune in combination with the new air intake.. I am really happy that you actually feel an improvement and I am not doubting your satisfaction.

Ram air is an overly hyped concept. Most stock intake tracts are nearly optimal in my estimation. The stock M5 inlets are pressurized from the moving airflow to begin with. Technically, the stock intakes are probably "ram air" already. Intake plumbing design is not as simple as "make as big, straight, and short a tube as possible." Even F1 "ram air" intakes do not force feed the outside air into the plenum. I believe there is a bypass path for the airflow that is incorporated before the intake plenum.
This intake is good for a 1/2 second on the quarter mile c5 vettes, and I had one and it was like the header mod on the m5. It is a dangerous intake because it is sucking air unrestricted through the radiator shroud, putting you at risk for hydrolock. I had this mod at sea level in Baltimore, and had another vette which I did the donaldson intake (no ram air, essentially a K&N filter), and the bottom breather clearly pulled harder.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
pmarin said:
This intake is good for a 1/2 second on the quarter mile c5 vettes, and I had one and it was like the header mod on the m5. It is a dangerous intake because it is sucking air unrestricted through the radiator shroud, putting you at risk for hydrolock. I had this mod at sea level in Baltimore, and had another vette which I did the donaldson intake (no ram air, essentially a K&N filter), and the bottom breather clearly pulled harder.
Wow. That is a big improvement. 1/2 of a second is huge. Did you have any other mods. that caused the factory intake plumbing to be a bottleneck in regards to power? Definitely, bottom breathing is aerodynamically advantageous and many racing cars draw air in low because much pressure develops in front of the car at the bumper level and below. This is quite unlike the old Pontiac Ram Air setup that took air from above the hood. That is certainly not optimal.

The Corvette takes air from under the bumper and in front of the radiator, am I right? It does look like this is the case of an improved intake, but the air path is similar to the stock one in that it is taking the cool air from in front of the radiator, through the MAF(s), and to the throttle body. Though it certainly looks like an improved piece, I wouldn't say it is any more or less utilizing the "ram air" concept than the stock one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HBRAMSTEDT said:
Wow. That is a big improvement. 1/2 of a second is huge. Did you have any other mods. that caused the factory intake plumbing to be a bottleneck in regards to power? Definitely, bottom breathing is aerodynamically advantageous and many racing cars draw air in low because much pressure develops in front of the car at the bumper level and below. This is quite unlike the old Pontiac Ram Air setup that took air from above the hood. That is certainly not optimal.

The Corvette takes air from under the bumper and in front of the radiator, am I right? It does look like this is the case of an improved intake, but the air path is similar to the stock one in that it is taking the cool air from in front of the radiator, through the MAF(s), and to the throttle body. Though it certainly looks like an improved piece, I wouldn't say it is any more or less utilizing the "ram air" concept than the stock one.
A hole is cut in the shroud of the radiator, so the air is coming in from below and forced into that enclosure. The stock setup just sucks from above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts