BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New from Alpina and on show at Frankfurt ... Alpina D3, a E90 320d with 200bhp and 400 Nm of torque. Top speed should be 238 km/h and a sprint from 0 to 100 km/h will take about 7,4s.

The future of Alpina lies in powerful Diesels? But why a 4cyl? Andy Bovensiepen's way of saying he's at the helm? Raced the 4cyl diesel at the 24h Nurburgring a couple of years ago. And won the race, the only diesel to win overall at the Eifel ever. I guess it's Alpina showing how important diesel-cars have become in the old world. Diesels are almost as powerful as 'normal' petrol engines (ok not the M-cars), are easier to drive because of their pulling power at low revs and are much more economical than their petrol rivals. Today with gas-prices going through the roof certainly an issue. Or was it because Alpina haven't finished developing their new 6cyl-petrol engine yet?

What are they preparing for us in the future? Why not a Alpina D3Biturbo (E90 335d)?

And since we're speculating, how about a D5, a E60 5-series with a V8 diesel in the front. Ok.... I know too much torque for the E60-chassis, already has problems with the B5 Kompressor-engine......

·
Premium Member
8,805 Posts
I don't quite understand the positioning of the D3 - it's going to have a tough time against the - also to be launched in Frankfurt - 330d with 228hp/500Nm. The D3 also doesn't seem to be such a big step forward over the 320d with 163hp/340Nm.

·
Registered
885 Posts
kees said:
I don't quite understand the positioning of the D3 - it's going to have a tough time against the - also to be launched in Frankfurt - 330d with 228hp/500Nm. The D3 also doesn't seem to be such a big step forward over the 320d with 163hp/340Nm.
Looks like it fills the gap between 320 and 330 very nice.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
This goes against Alpina's own philosophy of making cars with a topspeed of more than 250km/h. It looks like they are selling out on their old values, but that is old news anyway. Disappointing.

·
Banned
664 Posts
I suppose the only thing may be it has great fuel economy - e.g. good performance but even better economy.

But it does seem odd that it doesn't even top the 330 - normally it slots between the top and the M...

The only exception I can think of was the 3.3 which didn't out power the 540 but did have far superior steering/handling etc.

It does seem a little off field...

·
Premium Member
8,805 Posts
The car isn't really announced yet by Alpina but leaked by AutoZeitung. The official press days are Wednesday and Thursday, so we should hear all the details in the next 2 days.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just had the price information from Alpina : € 36,000 in Germany. Cheapest Alpina ever . I doubt that for such price they re-work the engine with new pistons, crank, ... May be just a chip thing. Let's see what they announce.

·
Premium Member
8,805 Posts
Sherlock said:
Just had the price information from Alpina : € 36,000 in Germany. Cheapest Alpina ever . I doubt that for such price they re-work the engine with new pistons, crank, ... May be just a chip thing. Let's see what they announce.
I agree...this is not looking too good unless Alpina have some tricks up their sleeves to gain performance advantage.

That means the following line-up:
320d 163hp/340Nm €30,700
D3 200hp/400Nm €36,000
330d 231hp/500Nm €37,600

·
Registered
885 Posts
it has to be very good then to not let people pay a extra €1600,- for the 330d.

·
Premium Member
8,805 Posts
The torque curve is very nice - 400Nm for over 1500rpm.

The 330d engine is 100-150kg heavier than the 320d/D3 engine, so that would ruin the handling. However I'm still not sure that this Alpina is a real Alpina.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Is it just me, or is that a very un-Alpina-like press release?

I guess it's been more than 20 years since Alpina made a 4 cyl car - the old A-series E21 cars.

It really does seem that Alpina is gradually just becoming another model in the BMW range. I can see why Alpina wanted to do a diesel, but why start with the 320d? Although, having said that, a model sitting above the 335d wouldn't make too much sense - too expensive and pretty average fuel economy. But it would be really really fast!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts