BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
dmccrary90025 said:
Is there a benefit to replacing the stock dampers with (lets say) Koni on a "low" mileage 18K (adding up fast) '03? Cheers!
Factory Boge struts and shocks are very softly-dampened. This gives the M5 a good ride, although it's somewhat wallowy under aggressive maneuvers. If you want your car to handle more like an M3 or sports car, the Koni's will provide an immediate benefit. In addition, I think the Boges begin deteriorating in the 3yr/30K range. The Koni's will ride a bit harder, but it's something you won't notice after a few days, that is, assuming you apply an appropriate damper setting. The rear shocks shold be set between 1/2 Turn from full soft to 1 Turn from full soft. Anything stiffer will degrade ride quality and degrade adverse weather and road handling. With stock springs, the car will NOT handle better with a stiffer setting, even on the track....don't try it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lscman said:
Factory Boge struts and shocks are very softly-dampened. This gives the M5 a good ride, although it's somewhat wallowy under aggressive maneuvers. If you want your car to handle more like an M3 or sports car, the Koni's will provide an immediate benefit. In addition, I think the Boges begin deteriorating in the 3yr/30K range. The Koni's will ride a bit harder, but it's something you won't notice after a few days, that is, assuming you apply an appropriate damper setting. The rear shocks shold be set between 1/2 Turn from full soft to 1 Turn from full soft. Anything stiffer will degrade ride quality and degrade adverse weather and road handling. With stock springs, the car will NOT handle better with a stiffer setting, even on the track....don't try it.
Yes, I have felt the wallowing you refer. Its my goal to sharpen that up without changing the factory springs as other threads suggest spring changes add unwanted consequences (don't recall exactly what those were but it was clear dampers are as far as I want to go) and the Koni's complement the stock spring. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.