BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my new ride...goes really well with the Beast! I am enjoying having her to share my passion.

it´s a 1994 Euro Spec E36///M3 with 121.000 km´s on the clock and she is driving superbly good. A very wll taken care of example of ///M power.

:blink:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my oppinion, they are very distinctive cars, both incredible pieces of engeneering and both very fast and regarding machines to drive.

The ///M5 is on a league of it´s own, fast, visceral, spacious and the S38B38 is just an amazing engine with power delivery and torque to make your stomach chill...it´s a heavier chassis compared to the ///M3´s and the handling is a little more refined. The driving position and ergonomics are better on the fiver and i guess more friendly. it has the charm we know and it´s the last hand built. Such a classic!

The ///M3 is more connected to the road. The suspension is sporty without beeing too harsh, a very well balanced set up. I guess that with less weight and smaller overall, the ///M3 feels more "in hand" and a little more unpredictable then the five series, making it more fun to drive. The 3er is deffinetly more "go kart" and feels like you have dressed the car, not in the car. The S50B30 is amazingly strong and with the UUC Exhaust it screams an metallic sound that is music to the ears. The vanos system helps the car deliver good linear torque througout the hole RPM range and it pulls very strong on each and every of the five gears available.

I raced the ///M5 a couple times, but still did not raced the ///M3, so it´s limits are still to know. I am sure enjoying these two cars!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nice one! Is the steering wheel added or Individual spec?
You have the same combination as me then. But I have a 5 speed M5 and 6 speed M3 instead of vice versa like you. We are constructing a site for the E36 M3 as well, so check in later to see (the URL will read E36 M3 Forum).

If I may comment on the difference I should say that the M3 is more fun at low speeds and twisting roads. The S50 picks up far earlier than the S38. Consumes less, cheaper parts etc. Easier to park and navigate through city traffic. Better suited for daily driving, yet sporty if you wish.
On the other hand the S50 is no way near the S38 when it comes to the character and SOUND of the engine. No way near! What you experience sound wise at 5000+rpms in the S38 does not exist in the S50. IMHO, the S38 is a street adapted race engine (which it actually is) and the S50 is a daily driver engine with a slight touch of racing inheritage to it, if you get what I mean. Also, the M5 is much better on long trips. The ride is steady at all speeds in the M5. You feel more relaxed after a long journey. I have a bad back and the M3 seats are not as comfortable I must say. Still good though.
The M3, and E36 in general, are not as well built as the E34. Design of some things and quality of material is poorer. The interior does not feel as solid in the M3 as in the M5. As for performance I know the 3.2 will outrun the 3.8 in a 0-150kph race. Not sure about higher speeds though. I would be surprised if the M5 is not as fast in 200+. The M5 masks its performance to the driver quite well. You don't feel how fast you are going.
That's my take on it. I cannot choose one of those. It depends on what you intend to use the car for. That is why I bought both :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That´s very well put Nick! I agree with you that the ///M3 is more a daily drive and on the engine´s differences. The S38 is indeed a very special engine.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
You Brazilian boys know how to live life to the full ............. Congratulations !

D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehe thanks David, i am pretty sure you know a thing or two about it too!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Nice combo of cars - it looks like you have found a cared for E36 which is a good start.

I owned an E36 until recently, I liked owning the E36 as it performance and handling were very different to the E34. Just being in a car that I wasn't precious about meant other liberties could be taken with the car on narrow or badly surfaced roads. In the end it was the build quality of the E36 that i didn't like, mechanically it was strong and the engine pulled very well from low down, but the interior was a joke and sqeaked and rattled badly.

About 2 months back I sold my E36 for an E46 and am loving every minute of it....dare i say it the E46 is almost the perfect combination as it offers the build quality of the E34 and the drivability of the E36. And all with an engine that revs to 8000.....

Jon

·
Registered
9 Posts
great stable my friend! awesome timeless cars!

Hi guys, this is my new ride...goes really well with the Beast! I am enjoying having her to share my passion.

it´s a 1994 Euro Spec E36///M3 with 121.000 km´s on the clock and she is driving superbly good. A very wll taken care of example of ///M power.

:blink:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations on the M3! Looks like a well-taken care off example.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts