BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my complete clutch system replaced. The flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and a few other things. All this cost from BMW was $4600, ouch. In the past 6 months it has been acting up. It would kind of jerk a bit when I would take off. This did have me concerned and now about a week ago the clutch started slipping under a heavy load. Normal take off was ok, but with the foot to the floor, it was slipping. So I took it in and they replaced the whole 9 yards. I have included pictures of the worn parts and I do believe all that they replaced was needed. I sure did not want to just replace the clutch when the other items looked worn and burnt. I would like some input from anyone on this forum if indeed they think the parts looked bad and needed replacement. My car has 64000 miles so I guess it was due. The rivets on the clutch were just about exposed as the picture shows. Also you can see the burn marks on the flywheel and pressure plate.
I am not sure if the flywheel and pressure plate could be resurfaced and so bit the bullet and said make it right with original parts.
And the dealer said to give this 1000 miles break in for the new clutch. I never heard of such but they say there is a glaze on the system that needs to break in. Hope no one in the meantime reads my license plate and challenges me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
A big part of that cost was labor correct? I would think a good Indy shop could do the job for $3k.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A big part of that cost was labor correct? I would think a good Indy shop could do the job for $3k.
+1..

well, if you have already taken that route then just enjoy it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts