BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My OEM clutch burnt out after 80k miles so I had it replaced with a new Sachs clutch. The service replaced the clutch and pressure plate but kept the flywheel because they said it didn't need replacing. I don't know if they machined it or not.

After picking up the car, I noticed that it virbates more than before. The vibration can be felt at idle or when moving in any gear. It doesn't matter if the clutch pedal is depressed or not. The vibration seems to come from 'the engine area' and can be felt through the acceleration pedal but mostly through the shifter. I have the OEM shifter. The vibration seems to get stronger after 2500RPM in all gears. I haven't taken it on the highway yet to see if it's worse after 5000+RPM. The car idles and runs OK aside from that. The clutch seems to grip very well and the DSC kicks in 2nd and 3rd if I floor it.

Can this cause any damage to the flywheel and clutch? Could the clutch not be balanced properly? Any ideas?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the same issue, the vibration is worse on the drivers side and will actually come up through the accelerator pedal. It is almost harmonic for me, with the worst vibration being if I am in 3rd at 50 mph.

As far as I understand the DSC, it is not necessarily good that you get it to come on. Someone can correct me here, but I believe the DSC comes on if your clutch is slipping. Again, I have a similar issue - but if I turn the DSC off, I dont get any wheelspin (this is why I think my clutch is slipping)

OEM clutch replaced at 80k miles with another OEM. Flywheel machined. I do have an engine mount that looks as though it is about to go however, which could be the source of the vibration for me. Who knows.

Kirk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kmac,
The vibration in my case was not there one day before the clutch replacement and was there directly after. It could be quite a coincidence if it was the engine mounts.

DSC, afaik, kicks in when the car detects less traction. So if the clutch is good and you're putting a lot of power to the ground and you can't make them stick, DSC would let off the throttle.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Agree that is must be your clutch, I was just indicating what my issue was.

If the clutch slips the DSC believes that the car has lost traction and will engage. Which is why I would not automatically believe that the clutch has engages solidly.

Can you get the tail to kick out or wheelspin is you turn off the DSC?

and are you in Buda or Pest?:)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have the same issue, the vibration is worse on the drivers side and will actually come up through the accelerator pedal. It is almost harmonic for me, with the worst vibration being if I am in 3rd at 50 mph.

As far as I understand the DSC, it is not necessarily good that you get it to come on. Someone can correct me here, but I believe the DSC comes on if your clutch is slipping. Again, I have a similar issue - but if I turn the DSC off, I dont get any wheelspin (this is why I think my clutch is slipping)

OEM clutch replaced at 80k miles with another OEM. Flywheel machined. I do have an engine mount that looks as though it is about to go however, which could be the source of the vibration for me. Who knows.

Kirk
You don't machine our dual mass flywheels ... either leave it in place or replace it

·
10,456 Posts
something is obviously out of ballance with the clutch/flywheel assembly. I'd take it back to the shop and make them fix it. Did they remove the flywheel at all? There are dowel pins that locate it onto the crank. It is possible to replace these and not have the flywheel sit flush on the crank. Happened to me once. I would imagine the vibration would be bad for the crank long term.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had it checked out again. They didn't actually drive the car after the clutch replacement :eek:oohhh: so they didn't feel the vibration. Appartently the old clutch overheated the flywheel when it burnt out and that's what's causing it to be out of balance. New flywheel coming next week hmmm

·
Registered
224 Posts
Keep us up to date with the outcome!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts