BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've searched a bit through the topics but couldn't find something that would match my issue, sorry if I missed it.

I got a new clutch on my '02 E39 M5 and the job was done by a BMW dealership in the Metro Vancouver Area, BC last November. In March this year, I started having issues with my clutch pedal, when depressing it would cause the car to slightly vibrate. I took it back to the same dealership and they said they would replace the clutch disk with a new one. I also complained about a whining noise at 1.5k and just above 2k rpm while in any gear. The dealership said they couldn't figure out what it is and recommended to replace the flywheel as well just to rule out this possibility. I bought a new OEM flywheel on amazon for $330, took it to the dealership and finita la comedia, I was super happy, everything worked great. Except for the whining noise, which was less audible but I could live with it and the dealership said they could not find anything wrong(it still bothers me to this day and I like my toys in good shape and I want it out). But the problem with the clutch pedal re-surfaced - when I depress the pedal(just after engaging the gear and the car starts rolling) it's not a smooth feeling, the car doesn't vibrate it's just not smooth like it was when I took it out of the dealership last time. The service manager at the dealership said he couldn't feel it, but I don't believe him(yes, when you shift fast, depressing the pedal feels fine) but said that the bushings are ok and the clutch works just fine. Can anyone suggest what may be wrong here?

-K.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Interesting that a dealer would not suggest clutch + flywheel together, the first time. Did you ask about any oil contamination from the rear main seal? Has anyone inspected your guibo or driveline? You didn't mention whether the noise was there before the initial clutch job, nor the miles on your car. You may be stuck with the dealer to resolve at this point, but it's always good to have an indy for a second opinion, either now or in the future.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Find a independant reputable shop and take it there. Brian Jessel is notorious for having bad service and trying to screw over the customer (service manager not acknowledging any issue). Man the stories I could tell you about horrible service :ziplip:

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
One possibility is that they didn't replace the other wear parts. You should always replace the clutch fork, ball pin and especially the "guide bush" (using BMW's term) on the nose of the tranny (the throw out bearing rides on the guide bush, and it galls/wears over time). For whatever reason, few techs replace these three items even though they are cheap (in price) parts, especially compared to the labor for a clutch job. With these new parts and a new pressure plate, it should feel like new since, well, everything is new. The only other mechanical wear item, although this is unlikely, is the slave cylinder piston where it interfaces with the clutch fork. So replacing the cylinder too would indeed make *everything* new.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Many years ago, with a different car, had a similar problem, about 25k miles on a used car (second owner). Dealer agreed to take it apart (not under warranty) and if there was nothing wrong I would pay for 1/2 labor. Turned out to be a bad throw out bearing (honest dealer!). I "bought" a new clutch disc, they replaced everything else and picked up all the labor. So I had a brand new clutch for the cost of the disc. Lasted the life of the car (traded with over 100k miles, including plenty of track time)

So as noted above, it is probably a small part, not a large one. But it all has to come apart, and that is the rub if the dealer gives you a hard time.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chowdah, to answer your questions. My car has ~65k miles and the dealership did not mention anything about any oil contamination. The noise came up after about 2 months after the clutch job iirc.

Fanatech, it wasn't Brian Jessel but now I'll keep away from them too :)

Thanks for your replies, I guess I'll start with an independent inspection and see where it goes from there.

-K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts