BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my car back from Birds in Iver, great service! :thumbsup:

As it seems to be clutch replacement season and not one to be left out...

Had the clutch replaced with a standard BMW one, luckily the flywheel was in good shape so had it removed and put on a strict weight loss program to the tune of 18% or so and to relive some fond memories of my dearly departed MKIV Supra had their short shift kit fitted too.

I cannot believe what a difference it has made, not sure if its just the new clutch or the very notchy Supraesque gear change or the fact I had a Fiesta 1.2 for a week :crying: but it makes me lovelove it again...

Now just need to find the time and somewhere to go and drive it...:wroom:

Off to BMW to get the MAFS replaced next I think... get some value out of that (now excessively priced) warranty...

-Steve

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yep, Birds have fitted quite a few things to my car, nice place, but alittle awkward to get to, if you have a full time job imho.

hope you can make he M5 meet at highbury mansions on sunday! :wroom:

Cheers
Tin

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Daniel are you coming to the meet on sunday? there's quite a few modded M5's now :1:

info here : m5 meet

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sounds good Rampage - yet another top review for Kevin Bird & co.

Hope you can come along on Sunday - Hanbury Manor at 12 noon :byebye:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ashok,

Kewl, count me in...

Anyone else going from Watford\Amersham way?

-Steve

·
Registered
616 Posts
Rampage said:
Ashok,

Kewl, count me in...

Anyone else going from Watford\Amersham way?

-Steve
Hi Rampage!

I am in Watford - but probably wont be able to make it on Sunday... not enough to enjoy meeting everyone...

Whereabouts are you based?

rgds

Was!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Keep us updated on the OEM clutch. OEM reviews are hard to come by. And for those of us that can't afford the UUC option, well, lets just say it's likely I'm going OEM.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whizzkid11 said:
Hi Rampage!

I am in Watford - but probably wont be able to make it on Sunday... not enough to enjoy meeting everyone...

Whereabouts are you based?

rgds

Was!

Was,

Litltle Chalfont, between Amerhsam and Chorleywood... approx 10 miles from Watford...

-Steve

·
Registered
616 Posts
boostmiser said:
Keep us updated on the OEM clutch. OEM reviews are hard to come by. And for those of us that can't afford the UUC option, well, lets just say it's likely I'm going OEM.
I have an OEM fitted in mine - changed it approx 4000 miles ago - Its perfect! Had no issues whatsoever with.

Just prior to me changing it, BMW actually changed modified their OEM clutches and used better quality products - being frank I am more than happy with it at under £400 (I had it fitted by my local garage!).

I cannot justify spending 4 figure sums on an aftermarket clutch as I would not use its benefits fully!

BTW - Steve (Rampage) , I am under 1 mile from M25 Jnc 19. Must meet up sometime.

rgds

Was!

B

·
0 Posts
Tin said:
Daniel are you coming to the meet on sunday? there's quite a few modded M5's now :1:

info here : m5 meet
I wish I could. Ashok PMed me on this a while ago, but I am now back in California. I will be back in London in March, and will also be in London during July and August. I am sure I will be able to meet up with you guys again soon.

Cheers, Daniel.

B

·
0 Posts
boostmiser said:
Don't forget the clutch options that are available fro SPEC. They are good OEM alternatives for about the same cost. Here is some more information:

Click Here.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
616 Posts
BeastPower said:
Don't forget the clutch options that are available fro SPEC. They are good OEM alternatives for about the same cost. Here is some more information:

Click Here.

Cheers, Daniel.
Hmm - priced very competitively! Any reviews?? Guess I have a few miles to cover before I need a new one... hopefully...

·
Vendor
619 Posts
A word about aftermarket OE-fit clutches...

SPEC still uses the SAC-equipped pressure plates from LUK (BMW OE) or the "SAC disabled" which still fail exactly the same way.

Reviews right here on M5board (use the "search" function for "SAC" and "SPEC") show no greater reliability in the aftermarket SAC-equipped clutches than OE. The parts are the OE clutch/pressure plate, after all.

The SAC failure is not SPEC's fault... blame LUK for the design and BMW for implementing it.

SPEC themselves are a great company - we use their products for the uprated clutches in many of our other applications, including the big 280mm V12 clutch conversion we offer for the M5. Although UUC is a SPEC distributor (significant discount off published pricing), we refuse to sell any SAC-equipped components.

We won't sell something to our customers that we know will prematurely fail.

SAC is a failure-prone design that is not befitting the M5. If you think you are saving money now... you'll spend much more later on.

If you are going to re-fit a standard-style clutch, your best route (meaning you'll lose the least money when you have to replace it again) is the OE part direct from BMW.

·
10,455 Posts
boostmiser said:

I had an oe clutch replaced under warranty about a year/15k miles ago. Holding up strong. While i do enjoy driving the car hard occasionally, i do not abuse the clutch; ie i don't put my foot down until my foot is totally off the clutch pedal, i'm pretty easy off the line (wheel hop/ subframe issues also worry me). Next time, i'll go uuc, assuming it's on my own dime.
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts