BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recent purchased a Clutchmasters FX100 clutch disc and my cousin installed it. Its bolted onto the OEM flywheel. Before even putting the exhaust and heat shields back on, i ran open headers and drove her around to see how she felt. She felt great, great throttle, sounded amazing, no problems whatsoever. The next day, we decided to put her exhaust back on and the heat shields and torsion bars. Started her back up, reversed her and had some clutch chatter. Threw her into first gear and had more chatter. When i was running open headers, she didnt have any chatter at all, but after i put her all back together she has chatter when reversing and slow speeds in 1st gear? Im stumped. Is it normal? Does it just take time to break in the clutch for it to go away? Its really bugging me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
You should only have clutch chatter if you have a Lightweight Flywheel and ONLY at idle. I am going to guess there is a heat shield or exhaust pipe that is loose or rubbing on something.

not true - you're referring to transmission noise.

clutch chatter is common when you don't replace or machine the flywheel (pretty sure you can't machine dual-mass flywheels). Also, did you read the break-in procedures on the clutch? Chatter is often a normal occurance until the friction surface is properly bedded to the flywheel.

and you feel it in 1st and reverse because you're slipping the clutch to start the car in motion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not true - you're referring to transmission noise.

clutch chatter is common when you don't replace or machine the flywheel (pretty sure you can't machine dual-mass flywheels). Also, did you read the break-in procedures on the clutch? Chatter is often a normal occurance until the friction surface is properly bedded to the flywheel.

and you feel it in 1st and reverse because you're slipping the clutch to start the car in motion.

thank you. but yeah, they say this clutch usually takes around 500-1000 miles to break in. But, if it doesnt go away, is clutch chatter bad for the car?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Idk if anyone know what this may from,at low speeds when I apply the throttle and come of the clutch it squeaks and when I go on the gas with 2nd gear I can hear a slight squeaking noise from the clutch. Any ideas??

·
Registered
732 Posts
Idk if anyone know what this may from,at low speeds when I apply the throttle and come of the clutch it squeaks and when I go on the gas with 2nd gear I can hear a slight squeaking noise from the clutch. Any ideas??
Constant squeak? Have you tried pushing the clutch in and out with the car at a stand still without engine running? My clutch squeaks a little when I depress the clutch, I am sure the pivot joint for the clutch fork needs to be lubed.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Constant squeak? Have you tried pushing the clutch in and out with the car at a stand still without engine running? My clutch squeaks a little when I depress the clutch, I am sure the pivot joint for the clutch fork needs to be lubed.

Ahh yes it does, thank you. Is lubing the pivot joint hard? and do you need to take the clutch out to do this

·
Registered
180 Posts
So, I recent purchased a Clutchmasters FX100 clutch disc and my cousin installed it. Its bolted onto the OEM flywheel. Before even putting the exhaust and heat shields back on, i ran open headers and drove her around to see how she felt. She felt great, great throttle, sounded amazing, no problems whatsoever. The next day, we decided to put her exhaust back on and the heat shields and torsion bars. Started her back up, reversed her and had some clutch chatter. Threw her into first gear and had more chatter. When i was running open headers, she didnt have any chatter at all, but after i put her all back together she has chatter when reversing and slow speeds in 1st gear? Im stumped. Is it normal? Does it just take time to break in the clutch for it to go away? Its really bugging me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
Hows the Clutchmasters FX100 clutch so far?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.