BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

For anyone that needs a new clutch and flywheel in the near future, just a quick note of my experience.

I decided to get my local BMW dealership to do the work and they quoted around £1,300, all in, for the clutch to be replaced, more if the flywheel needed replacing.

They took it in on Wednesday morning and called me later that day to say that the flywheel was ok, but had some high spots and recommended replacing it to avoid taking it all apart again not so far down the line. I agreed and they were all done by 2pm the following day.
Total cost was £2,550. The flywheel was almost a grand, before VAT.

Apart from the hefty bill, the clutch, unsuprisingly, feels brand new again and I'm pretty happy with the BMW service dept.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

CJ

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Hi CJ

Thanks for the information. You did the right thing. Replacing the flywheel with the clutch is highly recommended.

My friends here also get the SMG Pump and Relay replaced. The SMG Pump on these cars is really a piece of crap and the Relay also has the tendency to malfunction.

In addition, we also get the SMG fluid and the Diff fluid replaced every year. But this is only because all of us track and drift our cars.

In any case, as preventive maintenance, the SMG and Diff fluids should be replaced at least every couple of years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi CJ

Thanks for the information. You did the right thing. Replacing the flywheel with the clutch is highly recommended.

My friends here also get the SMG Pump and Relay replaced. The SMG Pump on these cars is really a piece of crap and the Relay also has the tendency to malfunction.

In addition, we also get the SMG fluid and the Diff fluid replaced every year. But this is only because all of us track and drift our cars.

In any case, as preventive maintenance, the SMG and Diff fluids should be replaced at least every couple of years.
Thanks for the advice.

CJ

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Reactions: Hasan Shaikh

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Thanks for the info Chuck.

Really useful information.
Cheers! :cheers:

It has ALWAYS bothered me that BMW did actual testing of clutch replacements, came up with recommendations, published a tech bulletin on the subject, and then 98% of US (and perhaps world) dealers have no clue and provide incorrect or no instruction to owners. Everything BMW recommends makes profound sense from an engineering standpoint. There is no reason to doubt or ignore their testing results, but dealers and "technicians" do so everyday -- many with "their own" recommendations. I wouldn't doubt there are techs out there who pop in a new clutch and then go out and rip the car on the test drive for example. :grrrrr:

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Added post in that thread with the clutch break-in document from BMW... :cheers:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Had my clutch and flywheel done on Monday. No idea how much it cost as it was covered by the dealer who sold me the car less than a month ago!

It's a lot easier to reverse my car now!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The warranty does not cover the clutch - it's a wear and tear part just like brake pads. I was 'lucky' and noticed mine was on it's way out within the first 30 days of buying the car so it was down to the dealer to replace it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What sort of mileage should we expect to get before requiring a clutch replacement (I know driving style will influence the answer but lets just say "normal" driving (for a M5).

Are the symptoms akin to a true manual with worn clutch ? ie slippage, that lovely burning smell ?

Cheers

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm guessing about 50k miles. The symptoms I had meant it was very difficult to reverse without flying back at a real pace!

Incidently I covered approx. 100k miles on the same clutch in my e39 M5 and it wasn't showing any signs of needing replacement when I sold it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I'm getting the clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing replaced next week and I've been reading a lot about the bearing not being lubed from the factory. Did you specifically ask the service dept. to lube it when putting in the new one? I'm just worried that the same will happen to me again after way too few miles. Spending 2500€ every 20.000 miles is just ridiculous.

Mine is definitely showing signs of going very soon (burning, chopping when setting off) and the car's only done 19.000 miles. It's been launch controlled of course, but always under very good surfaces and always when the car is warm and even with that it's only been launched 4 times total.

·
Banned
47 Posts
How come people are using up their clutches so quickly? I drive my car very agresively (S6, launch control) and in the city and yet the dealer says I have only used up 1/8 of my clutch.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
How come people are using up their clutches so quickly? I drive my car very agresively (S6, launch control) and in the city and yet the dealer says I have only used up 1/8 of my clutch.
In many of these cases, it's not technically "the clutch" that is worn and in need of replacement. The SMG is known for eating throwout bearings/galling the guide bush which typically shows up as increasing harsh engagements, inconsistent behavior, "getting hit in the back" when trying to accelerate from a standstill, etc. Many have pulled the tranny to find that t/o bearing/guide bush issue while the clutch disc has plenty of life left on it. However, it's worth putting in new disc/pressure plate parts while it's all apart since their cost is marginal compared to the labor and hassle.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Always sobered how much it would cost. Doesn't seem to bad a cost considering it's the same as replacing the tyres which you have to do each year.

How come you didn't go to a reputable Indy out of intrest ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts